Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sept. lake temps - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Minnow

Default Sept. lake temps

Took a Cline-finder water thermometer to measure water temps in September on my trips to Dryberry and Pipestone. Cline-finder will measure temps down to 50 feet. Sept. 6 surface temp on Dryberry was 66.6 and slowly dropped to 65.8 degrees at 30 feet. At 32 feet temp was 63.5, at 34 feet temp was 60.2, 36 feet temp was 56.4, 38 feet temp was 53.8, 40 feet temp was 50.3, 44 feet temp was 47.9, 50 feet temp was 44.5. A couple days later the temps were about the same.
Sept. 15 surface temp on Pipestone was 60.3 and was 59.9 at 30 feet. At 32 feet temp dropped to 49.2 and then slowly dropped to 45.2 at 50 feet. Three days later on Pipestone the thermocline had moved up to 24 feet where the temp dropped from 59 to 54.5 at 28 feet and 48.3 at 30 feet deep.
I was surprised that the temps were almost the same from the surface to the thermocline where the temps drop quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 05:44 AM
Wallhanger

That's an amazing tool, temperature is so important! Going to have to get me one of those.

Very surprised how warm the surface temps were where you were. North of Armstrong Sept 13-20 we averaged 52-55 degrees on Whitewater Lake.

Big difference although I suspect fall turnover had just occurred where I was.

So how did you utilize your info on temps? Did it help you catch fish?
Old 10-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Minnow

Default dented boat guy

No, I don't think it helped me catch fish but getting and knowing the data and actual temps was fun. It is interesting to actually know the temps and how they change. That being said I ended up fishing a bit less as getting the data took about 10-15 minutes. Anybody know how muskies relate to the thermocline?