Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2008 alumacraft classic 165 cs vs 2008 lowe fm 165 - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Minnow

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 06:09 AM
Minnow

I just bought a 2012 lowe fm165 this year. Has a 2013 mercury 60 4 stroke on it. It is a awesome boat. Wide, stable, handles big water well. Fishs 3 comfortably. Put a 4 blade spitfire 12p itch prop on it and it'll run up nice with 3 guys gear and live well. Do a 13p prop if you fish lighter. I have both. No quality issues yet. It's just a joy to fish. The 4 stroke is amazing I got about 50% better fuel mileage than my old Johnson 50 horse 2 stroke. We used less gas in 10 days of fishing then 6 days with my old boat and motor. We actually had fuel leftover this year and stayed longer. The lowe combo is a great combo great layout. My uncle has the 2006 version and loves it and it's never been in the shop. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinmaniac View Post
I just bought a 2012 lowe fm165 this year. Has a 2013 mercury 60 4 stroke on it. It is a awesome boat. Wide, stable, handles big water well. Fishs 3 comfortably. Put a 4 blade spitfire 12p itch prop on it and it'll run up nice with 3 guys gear and live well. Do a 13p prop if you fish lighter. I have both. No quality issues yet. It's just a joy to fish. The 4 stroke is amazing I got about 50% better fuel mileage than my old Johnson 50 horse 2 stroke. We used less gas in 10 days of fishing then 6 days with my old boat and motor. We actually had fuel leftover this year and stayed longer. The lowe combo is a great combo great layout. My uncle has the 2006 version and loves it and it's never been in the shop. Good luck.
Does your uncle 06 has two live wells as it is a same layout as o8?
Did he have any problem with paint (I've heard it comes off easily)?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Wallhanger

I don't know much about the Lowe, but I did look at the same year Classic when I was last out shopping. The Aluma looked like a nice boat.

Honestly if it were me, I'd go with the 4S EFI motor over the carbed 2 stroker. Having owned both, I get much more kick out of saying goodbye to fumes, noise, choking the throttle, and that ever so fun first start of the spring. If you are not enamored with the Lowe, maybe hold out for a different boat with an EFI 4S or a DFI 2S (Optimax or Etec).

I've given this advice to people I know, and they came back to me later stating they wished they had not gone down the carb'd 2S route.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Wallhanger

I have a 165 Classic tiller and really like it. Mine has a 60 Four Stroke Yamaha on it.

I have owned a 60 2 stroke Yamaha and it was a really good motor. I never had a problem with it.

The Classic with a 50 on it will not be a speed demon, but it should be a very nice fishing combination. My vote would be for that rig.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Minnow

I've got a 2011 cs165 with a f50. I've got probably 150-200 hours on the boat. It's my first boat and I'm realizing the engine height might not be set properly or the boat might be a little underpowered with the 50 (I think it's the former). I know the f50 can be made into a 60hp by removing a restrictive plate, which I'm currently looking into. I really like the boat. With that said if I had to do it over again I'd get something with a wider beam, and I'd go at LEAST a foot bigger preferably 2. But I also like chasing walleye on big water more than I realized when I bought it, which was initially planned for bass and pan fish.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Minnow

No he didn't have any paint problem. The ones that did lowe repainted them for free. Great customer service. The 4 stroke efi motors are amazing. Turn key starts runs. Quite. Use no fuel. Troll all day on a gallon of gas. I'll never go back.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Wallhanger

since neither are a boat your going to go tackle big rough water day in and out, I'd say go with the lowe with the four stroke. I think it would suffice for your needs.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Wallhanger

Coming from an Alumacraft owner, I would go with the Lowe. 10 more horsepower and a more updated motor. I love my Alumacraft but Lowe also makes a nice boat and with these two, I would go with the better motor.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Wallhanger

I didn't notice that the motor on the Alumacraft was a two stroke. I thought Yamaha had stopped selling the two stroke by then. You can ignore the performance info I posted earlier and comments I made about the motor as they really are not that applicable. I would concur with others that the Mercury 4S would be more desirable.

Frank

Tags
alumacraft , lowe