Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Screwdriver sharpener. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2020, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Screwdriver sharpener.

I trust that if you damage an edge on a screwdriver, you replace the edge on the screwdriver before using it again, don't you?

With the use of a belt sander, removing a damage edge on a straight bladed screwdriver and replacing that edge, is easy and quick with a belt sander with the appropriate belt grit.

For this task, I may start with 80 grit to quickly remove the damaged end of the screwdriver and do the new end shaping. Then, I will move up to a 150 grit for the final shaping of the tip.

For example - if you happen to need to remove a drain plug from the lower unit of an outboard motor and don't have the screwdriver with the correct end, just use the belt sander to remove a fine tip from a screwdriver and remake the tip to match the wider slot found in the typical lower unit. I will also normally use a pair of vice grip pliers to turn the screwdriver when it is engaged in the drain plug slot. That way, I can put maximum inward pressure on the screw slot, while using the other hand to rotate the screwdriver with the vice grip plier. I keep this modified screwdriver in the boat tool box so that it is always on hand when the drain plug chores are conducted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2020, 09:54 PM
Wallhanger

I have a old craftsman screwdriver I ground to fit the lower unit plugs. If you really want a good screwdriver tip it needs to be hollow ground. Which can't be ground a belt sander. The common ones you buy are taper ground which have a natural tendency to slip out.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
I trust that if you damage an edge on a screwdriver, you replace the edge on the screwdriver before using it again, don't you?

With the use of a belt sander, removing a damage edge on a straight bladed screwdriver and replacing that edge, is easy and quick with a belt sander with the appropriate belt grit.

For this task, I may start with 80 grit to quickly remove the damaged end of the screwdriver and do the new end shaping. Then, I will move up to a 150 grit for the final shaping of the tip.

For example - if you happen to need to remove a drain plug from the lower unit of an outboard motor and don't have the screwdriver with the correct end, just use the belt sander to remove a fine tip from a screwdriver and remake the tip to match the wider slot found in the typical lower unit. I will also normally use a pair of vice grip pliers to turn the screwdriver when it is engaged in the drain plug slot. That way, I can put maximum inward pressure on the screw slot, while using the other hand to rotate the screwdriver with the vice grip plier. I keep this modified screwdriver in the boat tool box so that it is always on hand when the drain plug chores are conducted.
If you have a bench grinder you can accomplish this simple task in half the time.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2020, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey Fisherman View Post
I have a old craftsman screwdriver I ground to fit the lower unit plugs. If you really want a good screwdriver tip it needs to be hollow ground. Which can't be ground a belt sander. The common ones you buy are taper ground which have a natural tendency to slip out.
That depends on the belt grinder. I used to make knives and would hollow grind some, used the "wheel" for that.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Bobby,
Actually, not quite true.

Depending on the wheel on the grinder, the use of a grinder can be difficult to achieve the flat side of a screwdriver that one typically wishes to have on this tool.

But, with the flat portion of the belt sander, this action is easily achieved.

With respect to a hollow grind - again depending on the belt sander being used, one can often use the wheel at the ends of the flat portion of the sanding belts to achieve the hollow grind that one wishes to have.

As is the case with a bench grinder, the speed of the grind is entirely dependent on the grit of the grinding wheel.

In the case of the belt sander, the speed of the grind is also dependent on the grit of the sanding belt, as well as the speed of the belt.

Since I normally like a high speed belt for my various sanding chores, I have only high speed motors on all of my belt sanders. I use my sanders for a huge variety of chores in the shop. Many of the sanders that I first received in my shop for these chores had rather low speed motors. So, to resolve the slow sanding speed of which you speak, I have removed and replaced all of the original sander motors with motors which spin the belt at double the speed of the original sanders.

But, no question about it, a bench or a stand grinder is used for many applications in a typical work shop.

But, for any object on which one wishes to have a long uniform flat grind, it is tough to beat the linear - potentially long distance shaping possible with a belt sander that is not available in any sort of a circular grinding wheel.

Best wishes - and watch out for sparks if you grind.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Bobby,
Actually, not quite true.

Depending on the wheel on the grinder, the use of a grinder can be difficult to achieve the flat side of a screwdriver that one typically wishes to have on this tool.
REW, I could buy into this argument "IF" the flat side of a screwdriver was really thick, like 1/2" or more but we all know it's not.

BTW the next time you change out your lower end gear oil, throw that OLD flat screw drain plug in the garbage where it belongs and get a drain plug with Allen / Hex end on it.........move up to at least the 20th Century.......
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-01-2020, 07:13 AM
Wallhanger

A decent screwdriver, even the old typical Craftsman with the semi clear plastic handle most of us probably have, will be bolstered and can accept a wrench so you do not have to use a vise grip. They will have a hex area on the shank either under the handle or I've seen it on top. The plastic on the Craftsman and others is a hex shape and the proper size box end wrench will slide right on. No need for vice grips or channel locks.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:51 AM
Wallhanger

It all comes down to what you have at your disposal. if you have a bench grinder you will use it. Most people don't have a belt sander unless they are into wood working. I have both but use the bench grinder since its handy.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Wallhanger

Who still uses screwdrivers?

At the very least use a screwdriver with interchangeable hex-sided bits that can be replaced for $0.40 at any hardware store.
Break an edge, no problemo, chuck it in the trash and stick a new bit in.
Single-sized long-handled molded plastic screwdrivers are so0o0o0o 1970s.

Besides, if you broke the tip, you did something wrong to start with.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 12-06-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

I would have to agree with using a belt sander on a screwdriver tip. The heat build up seems to be a lot less with a belt sander. ( although I frequently use a bench grinder myself)