Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Commercial Walleye? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2019, 04:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Commercial Walleye fishermen tend to be even better conservatorship stewards than us recreational fisherpersons.
Their life literally depends on preserving the productivity of their resource - Walleye.
We whine and moan about reduced catch but commerical Walleye harvestors literally can lose the roof over their heads is they do not try to protect their resource.
There are always bad actors in any endeavor, but do not jump too quickly to condemn those who provide the rest of the population with what can only be considered as one of the most delightful meals you can enjoy - fresh, or nearly so - Canadian Walleye.
I always knew you were a bit off with your green thing and referring to yourself in the 3rd person but your MUCH more delusional then that if you ACTUALLY believe commercial fisherman are in any way more conservationist then anglers.

Check out Lake Nipissing, Ontario gill netting and while your at it what happened to the Atlantic cod population.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Walleyes, Zander, Perch, Crappie and Sunfish are all great in a restaurant - what every they might be called on the menu.

All of them have white mild meat with little or no taste and the bulk of the flavor comes from the breading and preparation method.

If you want fish - and don't have any in the freezer, go to the restaurant and order the fish of your liking and enjoy it.

Be safe
Old 12-15-2019, 08:45 PM
Wallhanger

If Zander and Walleye taste so much alike that you have to examine the skin to tell them apart, why would anyone care if they are getting zander instead? If people expose these restaurants, and get them in trouble, might that not lead to more of them buying commercially fished walleye, further depleting the stocks? I certainly understand the desire to not be lied to. On the other hand, if the result is going to be fisheries getting knocked down, maybe leave well enough alone.

p.s. Or is it that they don't taste alike, but the only way to prove it to the restauranteurs or the authorities is the skin?
Old 12-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopertrout View Post
If Zander and Walleye taste so much alike that you have to examine the skin to tell them apart, why would anyone care if they are getting zander instead? If people expose these restaurants, and get them in trouble, might that not lead to more of them buying commercially fished walleye, further depleting the stocks? I certainly understand the desire to not be lied to. On the other hand, if the result is going to be fisheries getting knocked down, maybe leave well enough alone.

p.s. Or is it that they don't taste alike, but the only way to prove it to the restauranteurs or the authorities is the skin?
Because you're paying for walleye or perch, not lower cost zander. Would you happily pay $10 Rapala costs for a Chinese fake knock off lure you could get elsewhere for $2.99, knowing they're ripping you off?
Old 12-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Commercial Walleye fishermen tend to be even better conservatorship stewards than us recreational fisherpersons.
Their life literally depends on preserving the productivity of their resource - Walleye.
We whine and moan about reduced catch but commerical Walleye harvestors literally can lose the roof over their heads is they do not try to protect their resource.
There are always bad actors in any endeavor, but do not jump too quickly to condemn those who provide the rest of the population with what can only be considered as one of the most delightful meals you can enjoy - fresh, or nearly so - Canadian Walleye.
OK, I'll bite!
Exactly how do they do that, are you saying they are like loggers and replacing what they catch?
I have little problem with commercial operations that want to raise & grow their own product, but I've never really understood how it is that a commercial operation can go out and harvested a species of game fish in the thousands, that I have to pay a seasonal license for, and am limited to 4 or 5 a day at a specified length limit. I'm told that I have these limits to help preserve the numbers, which I believe in, but what am I missing with the commercial guys.
I have no problem with a guy making a living selling fish on the market, I just question the means by where and how he is allowed to obtain this product.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble Eye 62 View Post
OK, I'll bite!
Exactly how do they do that, are you saying they are like loggers and replacing what they catch?
I have little problem with commercial operations that want to raise & grow their own product, but I've never really understood how it is that a commercial operation can go out and harvested a species of game fish in the thousands, that I have to pay a seasonal license for, and am limited to 4 or 5 a day at a specified length limit. I'm told that I have these limits to help preserve the numbers, which I believe in, but what am I missing with the commercial guys.
I have no problem with a guy making a living selling fish on the market, I just question the means by where and how he is allowed to obtain this product.
On a "per fish" basis, commercial fishermen pay less for their license than you do (however, it's still annually significantly higher than you'll spend over an entire decade).
In Michigan commercial fishermen harvested roughly 75,000# of walleyes and gained about $115,000 from that harvest in 2017.
They don't make a large return on their efforts per fish and their costs of operation are exponentially higher than your recreational cost to land up to 3 or 5 per day.

Think about it...if you went fishing 150 days per year and took a limit of 4 per day, you could harvest 600 fish (600#, for average 1# eater Walleyes) for a measley $25 license fee.
At that rate, it would only take 125 anglers to equal the entire take of the commercial industry (125x$25=$3,125).
Michigan currently only has 21 commercial fishing businesses left in operation, paying $200 for a commercial license ($4,200).
A pending bill was asking to raise that fee to $1,400 per year ($29,400) at the time of this article.
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-environment-watch/commercial-fishing-sinking-fast-michigan-time-more-regulations

Commercial fisherpersons take 100% of their catch to dock, to sell.
Recreational anglers toss back 10s of thousands of Walleyes that end up having an after-release mortality rate of as high as 30% - though probably significantly lower in shallower waters.
Still, the combined post-release mortality rate of clod-hoppers chucking Walleyes back likely exceeds the total number of Walleyes harvested commercially - because whether we like to admit it or not, MOST recreational fisherpersons are NOT "good stewards" and do not have a clue on how to catch and release Walleyes to insure the highest post-hook suvivability rates.

When Anonymouse was trying to qualify for a Fish Manager position with the WI DNR he went out on commercial boats as a part of the winnowing process to select Fish Manager candidates.
The captains Anonymouse rode with were constatnly muttering about the incredible waste of fish that recreational anglers either threw back to die or just mishandled and threw away after taking their photo ops at the landing after a day on the waters.
Of course this is anecdotal, but it put Anonymouse in a mind to believe that commercial fisherpersons - perhaps motivated by nothing more than greed to preserve their own income - were more mindful of the resource than your average Joe Sixpack with a couple rods and planer boards.

But....Anonymouse will grant you that it is his OPINION and he does not have a solid basis in FACT to "prove" or "disprove" it in either direction.

More to the point about "fairness" however, consider the economic IMPACT of the commercial Walleye harvest - on restaurants, on supermarkets, and on the jobs those establishments maintain.
Do you for one minute believe restaurants & supermarkets could continue to offer Walleye for sale WITHOUT a commercial Walleye fishery in operation?
There is a cost to eliminating the more efficient commercial Walleye harvesting, and Anonymouse for one, would be sorely pressed to be able to fulfill his desire for such a delicacy if they weren't available commercially.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 12-19-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:24 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Because you're paying for walleye or perch, not lower cost zander. Would you happily pay $10 Rapala costs for a Chinese fake knock off lure you could get elsewhere for $2.99, knowing they're ripping you off?

Why would Zander be lower cost than Walleye when they are shipped from Europe?

I've fished Zander in Viitasaari Finland and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference deep fried. It was back a number of years ago and my friends were drag netting them along with catching them with hook and line.

Red
Old 12-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
On a "per fish" basis, commercial fishermen pay less for their license than you do (however, it's still annually significantly higher than you'll spend over an entire decade).
In Michigan commercial fishermen harvested roughly 75,000# of walleyes and gained about $115,000 from that harvest in 2017.
They don't make a large return on their efforts per fish and their costs of operation are exponentially higher than your recreational cost to land up to 3 or 5 per day.

Think about it...if you went fishing 150 days per year and took a limit of 4 per day, you could harvest 600 fish (600#, for average 1# eater Walleyes) for a measley $25 license fee.
At that rate, it would only take 125 anglers to equal the entire take of the commercial industry (125x$25=$3,125).
Michigan currently only has 21 commercial fishing businesses left in operation, paying $200 for a commercial license ($4,200).
A pending bill was asking to raise that fee to $1,400 per year ($29,400) at the time of this article.
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-environment-watch/commercial-fishing-sinking-fast-michigan-time-more-regulations

Commercial fisherpersons take 100% of their catch to dock, to sell.
Recreational anglers toss back 10s of thousands of Walleyes that end up having an after-release mortality rate of as high as 30% - though probably significantly lower in shallower waters.
Still, the combined post-release mortality rate of clod-hoppers chucking Walleyes back likely exceeds the total number of Walleyes harvested commercially - because whether we like to admit it or not, MOST recreational fisherpersons are NOT "good stewards" and do not have a clue on how to catch and release Walleyes to insure the highest post-hook suvivability rates.

When Anonymouse was trying to qualify for a Fish Manager position with the WI DNR he went out on commercial boats as a part of the winnowing process to select Fish Manager candidates.
The captains Anonymouse rode with were constatnly muttering about the incredible waste of fish that recreational anglers either threw back to die or just mishandled and threw away after taking their photo ops at the landing after a day on the waters.
Of course this is anecdotal, but it put Anonymouse in a mind to believe that commercial fisherpersons - perhaps motivated by nothing more than greed to preserve their own income - were more mindful of the resource than your average Joe Sixpack with a couple rods and planer boards.

But....Anonymouse will grant you that it is his OPINION and he does not have a solid basis in FACT to "prove" or "disprove" it in either direction.

More to the point about "fairness" however, consider the economic IMPACT of the commercial Walleye harvest - on restaurants, on supermarkets, and on the jobs those establishments maintain.
Do you for one minute believe restaurants & supermarkets could continue to offer Walleye for sale WITHOUT a commercial Walleye fishery in operation?
There is a cost to eliminating the more efficient commercial Walleye harvesting, and Anonymouse for one, would be sorely pressed to be able to fulfill his desire for such a delicacy if they weren't available commercially.
I have read a lot of crap on the Internet but this post takes the cake. Thinking commercial fishermen take 100% of their catch to the dock to sell has to be the biggest pile of crap on the Internet yet. I guess you never heard of "Bycatch" from commercial nets and when caught in gill nets they cannot be revived and throw back to survive. Many sport fish like smallmouth bass are caught in these nets as they frequently are mixed in with walleyes.

Also thinking anglers are the ones who are destroying the walleye population in a body of water that is netted by whoever it may be is just lame. First most angler don't catch many fish or even come close to the daily limit at that lake because a variety of reasons all while the gill nets are huge and set up in strategic areas by veteran commercial fishermen who don't have to worry if the "BITE" is on or off.....or if a cold front shut the fish down......as a matter of fact they place these killer nets, MANY of them throughout the lake and leave them there for a long periods of time.......you know, the time the angler is sleeping, working or whatever but not fishing. Then they come back to rape our resources for the all mighty dollar. Maybe they should allow commercial buffalo/bison hunting again to stabilize and increase the herd........LOL

I have personally lived and experienced the results on Lake Erie during the commercial gill netting and now 20+ years after they were outlawed in the USA. Guess which era has been better for the walleye population. I will give you a clue........the walleye population on Erie lately has been estimated at OVER 45 MILLION since we bought out the commercial licenses.

BTW if you can't catch your own walleye maybe you don't deserve the delicacy of fresh walleye and should buy some farm raised tilapia that I heard is sometimes feed and raised with human crap... LOL

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-20-2019, 09:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I have read a lot of crap on the Internet but this post takes the cake. Thinking commercial fishermen take 100% of their catch to the dock to sell has to be the biggest pile of crap on the Internet yet. I guess you never heard of "Bycatch" from commercial nets and when caught in gill nets they cannot be revived and throw back to survive. Many sport fish like smallmouth bass are caught in these nets as they frequently are mixed in with walleyes.

Also thinking anglers are the ones who are destroying the walleye population in a body of water that is netted by whoever it may be is just lame. First most angler don't catch many fish or even come close to the daily limit at that lake because a variety of reasons all while the gill nets are huge and set up in strategic areas by veteran commercial fishermen who don't have to worry if the "BITE" is on or off.....or if a cold front shut the fish down......as a matter of fact they place these killer nets, MANY of them throughout the lake and leave them there for a long periods of time.......you know, the time the angler is sleeping, working or whatever but not fishing. Then they come back to rape our resources for the all mighty dollar. Maybe they should allow commercial buffalo/bison hunting again to stabilize and increase the herd........LOL

I have personally lived and experienced the results on Lake Erie during the commercial gill netting and now 20+ years after they were outlawed in the USA. Guess which era has been better for the walleye population. I will give you a clue........the walleye population on Erie lately has been estimated at OVER 45 MILLION since we bought out the commercial licenses.

BTW if you can't catch your own walleye maybe you don't deserve the delicacy of fresh walleye and should buy some farm raised tilapia that I heard is sometimes feed and raised with human crap... LOL

Bob

I agree with ya bob. Would be real cool to see a bycatch number on the amount of walleyes and small mouths that are killed during the perch netting process. I bet it is downright scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I have to agree with the above several posts. I have seen a single gill net which appeared to be 1/2 mile in length, set for crappie and walleye on LOW. It is hard to believe that fishermen are responsible for the devastating decreased fish population in that sector, especially if the netting is occurring every evening. I have no experience on Erie et al.

Bill