Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What size are primary breeders? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2020, 09:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil T. View Post
The larger the female fish, the more eggs it will lay. Obvious.
To complicate the issue, the older(usually larger)the female, the fewer of her eggs laid will be fertile. It's just like livestock, or even humans. There is a limit to the age of a good breeding female.
Another thing to consider is that fish are canabalistic, larger individuals will eat the small individuals. Therefore, big walleye prey on young-of-the-year. They don't discriminate between perch and young walleye. If it fits in the mouth, it will be eaten.
So, fisheries biologists must manage for tropy fisheries differently than a management for maximum total pounds of fish. If managed for total possible harvest, two three pounders=one six pound fish. However three three pounders most likely will reproduce more effectivley than a single ten, and will have a predatory impact on smaller(more numerous)young of their own species. A ten pound walleye can eat pretty much watever it wants, including its own species as large as 1 1/2 lb or even larger.
So, what should a conservation-minded angler release? Simple. Release those fish too large to eat (much over three pounds) and too small to mount (under about ten lbs). Don't feel guilty about mounting a ten. Her contribution to the population is just about over. She is functioning as a top-of-the-foodchain predator, not as an effective reproducer. Guides and resorts who like to show photos of released big fish hate the facts, and would rather use the big, soon deceased of old age fish to advertise their services.
All those who want to argue the above, should get their own master's degree in fisheries biology. I did.
Maybe I am not understanding, you say for the good of the fishery release fish OVER 3 lbs? My understanding is the viability of the eggs of larger fish drops dramatically while they eat significantly more forage. Why release those bigger fish at all?
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2020, 10:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
Maybe I am not understanding, you say for the good of the fishery release fish OVER 3 lbs? My understanding is the viability of the eggs of larger fish drops dramatically while they eat significantly more forage. Why release those bigger fish at all?

This was a guest from 2002. Plan to have your answer back in the same 18 years it took you to ask, say 2038. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2020, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
This was a guest from 2002. Plan to have your answer back in the same 18 years it took you to ask, say 2038. Ha

I think we have a leader in the "2020 WC grave robbers contest".

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 01-05-2020, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post

Ha, good catch. I always tell myself not to respond to "guest" but missed this one!
Old 01-05-2020, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
There really isn't a rule of thumb, too many variables in different lakes. What is true is that you need a certain number of bigger fish (piscivores) to eat that forage (planktivores) or the forage can over eat the bottom of the food chain and cause algae blooms. There have been some very good studies in Wisconsin on this. Hard to take too many big fish in big, highly productive water. Easier on smaller water and the effects aren't always extreme. Too many big fish can be a problem, too. How useful it is as a management technique is above my pay grade.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...f_Lake_Mendota