Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Help me set up my boat, while watchhing bowl games. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2019, 08:16 PM
Keeper

Default Help me set up my boat, while watchhing bowl games.

I’m in the process of setting up my new boat. I’m have a pretty good idea of how I want to set it up from hours of sitting in the old one and thinking. But you never know what you miss in planning, or don’t know exists equipment wise. I fish for walleyes 95% of the time. I pull harnesses on bottom bouncers 80% of that time, crankbaits on in-line boards once in awhile, and Jig and live bait fish the rest.

I’ll try to put a list together of the add ons I’ve done so far, or the ones I’m planning to accomplish before ice out, and I’ve attached pics of the layout.

What I have done:
- Ulterra 112lb 36v trolling motor mounted on the bow.
- 3 group 31 agm batteries and a 3 bank charger mounted under step between consoles
-2 group 31 agm batteries mounted in the transom w/ switch

What I have, but haven’t installed it yet:

-2 24” Cisco tracks for transom
-2 48” Cisco tracks for gunnels
-2 24” Cisco tracks for bow
-2 4” bert’s downrigger pedestals w/ cannon swivel bases
-2 Cannon dual axis rod holders
- Humminbird helix9 si
- Mercury pro kicker 9.9
- pedestal base for stern mounted remote controlled spotlight
-Gunnel mounted LED bars for night fishing

What I need to purchase:
- 1-2 fishfinders I’m planning on either mounting my current 9si on the dash and mounting a 12 on the stern for trolling, or mounting a 7 on the dash and 2 9’s on the stern(one for sonar, one for mapping)
-Ethernet connections and mounting configurations for said sonar (I was thinking ballzout for dash and a ram swing arm for transom)
-track system rod holders. I need at least four more to start. I was thinking another set of tube type, and at least one set of berts pedestal type. Would I want two different heights (like 2” and 8”) to spread lines out when pulling bouncers?
- I had a trolling plate on my old boat. It worked great for one purpose, slowing the boat down when going with the wind when it was nasty. I really don’t want to drill this new motor, and the offshore bracket probably makes deploying it kind of tricky. I’d like to get trolling bags for this purpose, and was looking at the Amish 15” version. Thoughts?
- a quick connect for the live well filler to turn it into a wash down pump (it was a $1000 option, a little rich for my blood) I’ll probably just make this myself, but if anyone has any ideas or know of a commercial kit of some sort I’m all ears.

Any ideas, or suggestions are appreciated! I’m trying to do it right, but not break the bank. It’s going to be a great boat to fish out of, but if I go full bore I’ll be sleeping in it as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	551FBCBC-F1ED-43A6-8F15-45CBC1BCFD5E_1577499533829.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	314478   Click image for larger version

Name:	05D6AA2D-49DC-4293-8445-5CFF588E16C3_1577499575153.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	314480   Click image for larger version

Name:	58A24A1E-9647-40D0-B48B-6EC0F03D894C_1577499607470.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	314482   Click image for larger version

Name:	036B669A-E75B-4E5D-8254-729D7095FF73_1577499669905.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	314484   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DF0F8F5-CD13-457E-9B63-79E990A355B0_1577499723203.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	314486  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2019, 11:36 PM
Wallhanger

Couldn’t take my eyes off those Hawkeyes long enough to think about your rigging, but just wanted to comment on that beautiful boat. Congrats, that’s a nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2019, 12:08 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
Couldn’t take my eyes off those Hawkeyes long enough to think about your rigging, but just wanted to comment on that beautiful boat. Congrats, that’s a nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They looked great, always nice to see a B1G team taking USC to the woodshed. Hopefully Penn State does something similar to Memphis tomorrow. Thanks for the compliment on the boat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2019, 03:28 AM
Wallhanger

Great looking boat! Did you get that at Calumet marine by chance?
I like all of your additions so far. Why would you need a trolling plate or bags if you have a kicker and a bow mount trolling motor? With my bowmount i can easily troll around .5 if i wanted to all the way past 5( never a need to) by using kicker.
I would add a kicker throttle control like a trollmaster or controllking. Using that I can adjust my troll speed by .1 mph- it really is great for getting the perfect speed you want.
A set of rod trees would be a great addition too, find them awesome when pulling boards.
I would think if you are pulling bouncers it would be easier to control separation with different rod lengths rather than different length of rod holder. If you get ratcheting rod holders, I use berts, then you can set one at 20° and one at 90° and get separation that way too.

You have to put a review up once you get that boat out,please. I am super interested in those Thunderjets. It looks like you have wavepros or some kind of seat suspension already which will be needed with that cab forward design when it gets snotty out.

Congratulations on your new rig!!
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 12-28-2019, 07:20 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Great looking boat! Did you get that at Calumet marine by chance?
I like all of your additions so far. Why would you need a trolling plate or bags if you have a kicker and a bow mount trolling motor? With my bowmount i can easily troll around .5 if i wanted to all the way past 5( never a need to) by using kicker.
I would add a kicker throttle control like a trollmaster or controllking. Using that I can adjust my troll speed by .1 mph- it really is great for getting the perfect speed you want.
A set of rod trees would be a great addition too, find them awesome when pulling boards.
I would think if you are pulling bouncers it would be easier to control separation with different rod lengths rather than different length of rod holder. If you get ratcheting rod holders, I use berts, then you can set one at 20° and one at 90° and get separation that way too.

You have to put a review up once you get that boat out,please. I am super interested in those Thunderjets. It looks like you have wavepros or some kind of seat suspension already which will be needed with that cab forward design when it gets snotty out.

Congratulations on your new rig!!
Nah, I ordered it through a dealership in PA, Robbins. I often used the plate on my old boat (a 17’6” Starcraft w/ kicker and 50pound thrust bow mount). But only when it was extremely snotty out and going against the wind was impossible. I used to use buckets with a hole drilled in them on a small boat without a kicker... maybe I’ll try them first to see if they are needed once in awhile. The pedestal bases with different heights was just me overthinking things I guess. I’ve always done fine separation wise, should be no different now. I’m currently figuring out trees, looking for a used pair or figuring out if my buddy who welds aluminum can rig me up a set for a discount. I don’t use the boards to often, and have always run them out of pole holders. That might be a next year addition as I could probably put the $800 better in the electronics the first season. That being said, I definitely want a pair of trees eventually! Yep on the suspension, my father is my fishing partner, and his shoulders are shot so they were a must. Thanks for the thoughts! I’ll definitely be talking about how this boat is (hopefully glowingly) when I get her out, this place is great and full of info!
Old 12-28-2019, 07:32 AM
Wallhanger

Nice rig. If you go with the trolling bags, you'll probably need to go larger than 15". I bought a set of the Amish bags last summer just to try them out. For my 1775 they recommended the 18's, but said that if they didn't slow me down enough that they would exchange them for the 22's. The 18" bags just barely took me down to crankbait speed. I did the exchange, and the 22" bags slow me down to around .5 - .7, which is slower than I would use them for.

andersaki
Old 12-28-2019, 07:55 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
Nice rig. If you go with the trolling bags, you'll probably need to go larger than 15". I bought a set of the Amish bags last summer just to try them out. For my 1775 they recommended the 18's, but said that if they didn't slow me down enough that they would exchange them for the 22's. The 18" bags just barely took me down to crankbait speed. I did the exchange, and the 22" bags slow me down to around .5 - .7, which is slower than I would use them for.

andersaki
Good to know! That was while running a kicker?
Old 12-28-2019, 08:10 AM
Wallhanger

Just to let you know the High Seas brand quad trees are 185 a piece on Amazon. I use them and like them as the bottom holder sets at about an 80° angle for dipsy rods, or to pull bottom bouncers out the side
Attached Images

Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 12-28-2019, 08:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyecatcher23 View Post
Good to know! That was while running a kicker?
No, that was with my 115 Merc and steering with my TM. I do have a kicker that works extremely well but for the fact that I rarely use it. 95% of my fishing is bottom bouncing, jigging and casting. My Ulterra fullfills those functions with ease. I bought the bags as an experiment to see how they work vs. the kicker. For me, and the amount of trolling that I do, the bags work very well. My kicker may go on sale next Spring.

andersaki
Old 12-28-2019, 09:19 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Just to let you know the High Seas brand quad trees are 185 a piece on Amazon. I use them and like them as the bottom holder sets at about an 80° angle for dipsy rods, or to pull bottom bouncers out the side
Thanks, those look pretty affordable! Do you have them mounted in a track?