Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Custom Rods - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Keeper

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker9911 View Post
How many of you use custom rods??? is it worth the money to have them build or just go buy a loomis or St Croix from the store??
A good builder can get you into a high end rod on a St. Croix blank (or other) for a price close to that same rod at a sporting goods store. Lots of things can change that price, but it should be reasonably close. If you go with high quality cork (hand glued and turned vs crap cork full of putty), titanium/Sic guides, decorative thread wraps, etc. that price will go up, of course.

Do you need a custom? Well, I know some tourney walleye guys that will tell you that you should not buy a high-quaility custom rod.

Will it make you a better fisherman? No, but if you have any skill it will catch more fish.

As Gary mentioned, one advantage is getting it how you want it. I have a customer that bought some customs, and had me replace some of the guides on his SC5s because the size 30mm butt guide would not fit in his rods lockers properly. I have one client that color codes his rods - jig rods have green on them so he can reach in the box and grab the correct rod during a tourney. Some guys like to match their boat colors. Some guys want all stealth so no one knows what the heck rod they are using.

Sadly, as in every area of life, there are some people that make custom rod builders look bad. I would look at the work of a few before I gave them the business. Just go to the forums and ask people to PM you names of good builders. Then look at their work! Look past all the bling. Look for clean glue lines, straight guide trains, good balance, and weight. Yes, put it on a digital postage scale (your builder better have one!). A good 6' walleye vertical jig rod should weigh under 3 ounces. If it weighs 4.5 then you need to know why!

About warranties. Some people don't need a warranty, they need rod insurance. Believe me, if they know they won't get a free one when they snap it in two doing something stupid, they will be more careful. I broke 3 rods in my entire lifetime and two of them were my fault. I'm 58. I have had guys tell me that they broke rods on purpose (they were getting old and dirty) just to get a free new one from the manufacturer. Sick!

Go for it! You will have a great rod that will serve you well.

Last edited by CHM; 02-13-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Minnow

Default Custom rods

I build custom rods and do it as a hobby and not a steady job. Custom rods are just that, CUSTOM. I turn wooden handles with inlay, custom cork handles, cross wraps and marbling on the blank, custom guide wraps and numerous other custom details. I buy wholesale and do make rods cheaper than store bought. No two are the same. I was fishing Vermilion lake in Cook, Minn. when a boat pulled up and asked how we were doing. "Hey, is that a custom rod"?? "Yes, I made it". It had custom purple, gold, and black marbling above the foregrip and it is my favorite rod. Check out rodguild.com to see some custom rods and find a rod builder. Not hard to build yourself. I do not believe a custom rod will help you catch more fish than the store bought, but they are sure fun to fish with and catch a nice fish, like my first 50" musky on Vermilion Lake with my custom made St. Croix Tournament Legend Top and Tail blank.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHM View Post
A good builder can get you into a high end rod on a St. Croix blank (or other) for a price close to that same rod at a sporting goods store. Lots of things can change that price, but it should be reasonably close. If you go with high quality cork (hand glued and turned vs crap cork full of putty), titanium/Sic guides, decorative thread wraps, etc. that price will go up, of course.

Do you need a custom? Well, I know some tourney walleye guys that will tell you that you should not buy a high-quaility custom rod.

Will it make you a better fisherman? No, but if you have any skill it will catch more fish.

As Gary mentioned, one advantage is getting it how you want it. I have a customer that bought some customs, and had me replace some of the guides on his SC5s because the size 30mm butt guide would not fit in his rods lockers properly. I have one client that color codes his rods - jig rods have green on them so he can reach in the box and grab the correct rod during a tourney. Some guys like to match their boat colors. Some guys want all stealth so no one knows what the heck rod they are using.

Sadly, as in every area of life, there are some people that make custom rod builders look bad. I would look at the work of a few before I gave them the business. Just go to the forums and ask people to PM you names of good builders. Then look at their work! Look past all the bling. Look for clean glue lines, straight guide trains, good balance, and weight. Yes, put it on a digital postage scale (your builder better have one!). A good 6' walleye vertical jig rod should weigh under 3 ounces. If it weighs 4.5 then you need to know why!

About warranties. Some people don't need a warranty, they need rod insurance. Believe me, if they know they won't get a free one when they snap it in two doing something stupid, they will be more careful. I broke 3 rods in my entire lifetime and two of them were my fault. I'm 58. I have had guys tell me that they broke rods on purpose (they were getting old and dirty) just to get a free new one from the manufacturer. Sick!

Go for it! You will have a great rod that will serve you well.

+100.

I'm with CHM and mpothen all the way, and build at TB as well. They will not let you build a bad rod, their name is on it as well. They WANT you to be happier than you'd be with an off-the-shelf.

My only disgreement here is the idea that a custom won't make you a better fisherman. I think it will, because you now know what it's supposed to feel like, with a good setup the balance and reaction times are quicker, the bite is easier to feel. If it doesn't make you better, you'll think you're better, and with more confidence, your catch rates improve, you have more fun...and you're better.
Figure out what you want the rod to do and what your requirements are and let the builder guide you from there. It's been serving me well, and have never looked back.

The time we spend on the water is a reward for the knuckleheads we deal with daily. Have the number of knuckelheads in your life benn on the increase or on the decrease? Make the water time better. You'll thank me later.

...and I do the "stealth" thing. Understated wraps so the cheap Gander Mountain rod with the fancy colors laying there becomes the one the thief sees first...

Last edited by bigwalleye1; 02-13-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Keeper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalleye1 View Post
+100.

I'm with CHM and mpothen all the way, and build at TB as well. They will not let you build a bad rod, their name is on it as well. They WANT you to be happier than you'd be with an off-the-shelf.

My only disgreement here is the idea that a custom won't make you a better fisherman. I think it will, because you now know what it's supposed to feel like, with a good setup the balance and reaction times are quicker, the bite is easier to feel. If it doesn't make you better, you'll think you're better, and with more confidence, your catch rates improve, you have more fun...and you're better.
Figure out what you want the rod to do and what your requirements are and let the builder guide you from there. It's been serving me well, and have never looked back.

The time we spend on the water is a reward for the knuckleheads we deal with daily. Have the number of knuckelheads in your life benn on the increase or on the decrease? Make the water time better. You'll thank me later.

...and I do the "stealth" thing. Understated wraps so the cheap Gander Mountain rod with the fancy colors laying there becomes the one the thief sees first...
What I meant was that you still need to know your species, the general areas to fish, tackle and techniques, how to use your electronics, and on and on. In other words, if you're a putz you might as well save your money.

Very good point on the thief comment!!! Maybe a spray coat of flat black or olive drab on your Stellas too! (LOL)
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 PM
mpothen

Default custom rods

Big walleye1.

There are a ton of good blanks out there. The St. Croix legend Elite blanks are awesome. Another great blank is the TB Predator series(Basically a St. Croix Legend Elite quality) only in a different color. These rods were designed by TB.

The predator 7'6" med x-fast rocks for using long snells on Mille Lacs. I extended the handle out a foor to make it 8'6" and love it.

If you have ever fished a rod with titanium giudes you will never go back to a factory rod. These things really cut down on the weight of the rod. It's amazing.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Minnow

I like the ELk River Custom Rods. They are not as outrageous in price, last a long time, and you can get exactly what you want. TFO is also making some interesting rods, but they are primarily in the fly rod business.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Minnow

The reason I fish with G Loomis rods first is the quality, then the warrenty and knowing that if some how it gets broke, I won't have to wait weeks to get another one made.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Wallhanger

Almost all my fishing rods (spinning, casting, and fly rods) are custom made.

There's a guy here at a local sports shop that makes them, they cost less than "name brand" rods, work as well, or better, and are built the way I want them.

Easy decision for me.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Customs absolutely can make you a better fisherman if you've only fished bargain rods previously. The learning curve ballooned for me when I received my first custom - then decided I had to learn how to build those myself and now I not only build them for myself and friends and family but also teach classes on custom rodbuilding. There is no greater thrill than catching a fish on a stick you built - even sweeter with a jig you tied on the end of the line...

Buy quality blanks and whatever components you decide you want... as some alluded to the TI guides can take a great rod and make it exceptional... but the cost is much higher for them and they aren't that necessary.

The way I see it is this - I spend thousands of dollars traveling to fishing spots and on boat, motor electronics - but in the end the one tool that is most important is not those items as much as it is the fishing rod that helps you know when a fish is there - spend the money where it is best put to use - nice rods catch more fish. Custom rods can do it with flair - but they also can be made to your specifications. That makes them just the stick you wanted for the job.

Good luck and tight lines!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Minnow

Ok what i was looking for was if the custom rods are more sensitive then factory rods...I have fished with loomis's and St croix, with all the different componest...I have a 6'6 imx and a 6'3 glx walleye which are my favorite rods to use im looking for a 6'10' for pitching jigs..is it worth spending the extra money to get one..