Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Has anyone figured out a good way to store track-mount accessories? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-16-2020, 06:37 AM
Wallhanger

Thought I would add a couple of pictures. Oh and turns out the second bag was a remodeler add on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_082723_1597581370732.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	320976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_082740_1597581399952.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	546.7 KB
ID:	320978   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_082732_1597581427396.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	497.1 KB
ID:	320980   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_082755_1597581451020.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	320982  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2020, 12:59 PM
Wallhanger

I think I'm going to try doing something with some of these Clipper Clips:

https://www.beckson.com/plasticclips.html

Of course, that'll mean driving screws into the inside of a compartment wall or lid in my new boat!

Gerry
Old 08-20-2020, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

How about a foam block with cutouts in bottom of the rod locker?
Humminbird Helix 12 and Helix 9(x2)
12' Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2020, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbreth View Post
How about a foam block with cutouts in bottom of the rod locker?
Seems like an idea with great potential, too - thanks! I'm not very good at carving foam, though. OK, actually I'm pretty awful at it.

Gerry
Old 08-20-2020, 07:45 PM
Wallhanger

I'm going to be simplistic and say wrap them in soft towels and put them in one of your ranger compartments. They will be absolutely fine going down the road and doing the normal bouncing that trailers do. No damage will come to them or the boat. You have made an investment into quality holders and they need to be protected. The flip side is that space can become limited on a boat and boat prep time at the launch can be drawn out when you want to fish. Make it fast to get out and fast to put away. At least that is what I would do. Joe
Old 08-21-2020, 07:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I think I'm going to try doing something with some of these Clipper Clips:

https://www.beckson.com/plasticclips.html

Of course, that'll mean driving screws into the inside of a compartment wall or lid in my new boat!

Gerry
I like your clip concept if you have a good storage area to mount them. What brand/model of boat did you purchase?

I personally just store mine in one of my side rod lockers but I hate side rod lockers for rod storage so it works well for me.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net_Man View Post
I like your clip concept if you have a good storage area to mount them. What brand/model of boat did you purchase?

I personally just store mine in one of my side rod lockers but I hate side rod lockers for rod storage so it works well for me.
It's a 2020 Ranger 620FS Cup. Seems like it has a LOT of storage compartments, but it's my first boat ever and I haven't yet had it long, so maybe it won't seem that way after I've had it a while.

More than concerns about these nice, heavy accessories getting banged up or banging up other stuff, whenever possible I just really prefer to store things so that they're organized and easily accessible, not buried in or under other things. I suppose I spent too much of my working life in laboratories, where there was "a place for everything and everything in its place"... Around the house I'm a big fan of pegboard storage for tools and such, too. That's what made me think of the clips.

Gerry
Old 08-21-2020, 11:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
It's a 2020 Ranger 620FS Cup. Seems like it has a LOT of storage compartments, but it's my first boat ever and I haven't yet had it long, so maybe it won't seem that way after I've had it a while.

More than concerns about these nice, heavy accessories getting banged up or banging up other stuff, whenever possible I just really prefer to store things so that they're organized and easily accessible, not buried in or under other things. I suppose I spent too much of my working life in laboratories, where there was "a place for everything and everything in its place"... Around the house I'm a big fan of pegboard storage for tools and such, too. That's what made me think of the clips.

Gerry
A heck of a boat for your first boat......

Yes, lots of storage and think of all of the fun you will have filling them. If you do things correctly then you will have enough equipment and tackle that it won't all fit in the boat and you will have to decide on what to leave behind for the specific outing.

Assuming that you would have to attach these clips with screws - I have fished out of my friends 620 on more than dozen occasions but I never really looked at all of the storage compartments enough to offer up assistance on location for drilling for screw connections.

You will find it more convenient to have access to this equipment from the cockpit area. This would eliminate the front deck storage other than the rod storage. In rough water the rear section of this boat will be quite stable. Because of this, even if you stored them loosely in a rear compartment then I would not expect that you would have any issues with these banging around. In my friends Ranger he stores his Berts metal rod holders loosely in the same rear compartment along with his Offshore Planner boards stacked on top of the rod holders with out any issues.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net_Man View Post
A heck of a boat for your first boat......

Yes, lots of storage and think of all of the fun you will have filling them. If you do things correctly then you will have enough equipment and tackle that it won't all fit in the boat and you will have to decide on what to leave behind for the specific outing.

Assuming that you would have to attach these clips with screws - I have fished out of my friends 620 on more than dozen occasions but I never really looked at all of the storage compartments enough to offer up assistance on location for drilling for screw connections.

You will find it more convenient to have access to this equipment from the cockpit area. This would eliminate the front deck storage other than the rod storage. In rough water the rear section of this boat will be quite stable. Because of this, even if you stored them loosely in a rear compartment then I would not expect that you would have any issues with these banging around. In my friends Ranger he stores his Berts metal rod holders loosely in the same rear compartment along with his Offshore Planner boards stacked on top of the rod holders with out any issues.
Yeah, I went most of my life moving around too much and not having enough money such that I suspected I might never have ANY boat, then I retired early and discovered that I could make a lot more money just by actively managing investments than I did as a practicing wildlife scientist. (I swing trade some and trade longer term some. Not that I'm some kind of stock market whiz; it really just points out how little money wildlife scientists make.) After a bit I realized that I had enough money to buy what I really wanted, and I was already aware that I'm not getting any younger, so...

I'm also a big proponent of storing things near where you plan to use them whenever it's practical to do so, and my Bert's Tracks are on the aft gunwales, so I figured one or more of the rear compartments would be best for storing these rod holders. I'll take some measurements, maybe make some quick paper templates, and see what I can come up with.

Gerry
Old 08-27-2020, 02:27 PM
Keeper

This is my plan for storing the rod holders in a track that slides into the two rear mount seat bases. It will only be in use during transport when the boat is tarped. Once at the lake and the rod holders are installed the track will be removed and put in the truck. Since it is mounted low even the rod holders with 15 inch risers will not interfere with the tarp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rod holder track.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	561.7 KB
ID:	321192  
Ulterra Linked with
Helix 12 and 10 Mega