Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
ENERTIA ECO Info - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-29-2020, 09:21 AM
Wallhanger

Default ENERTIA ECO Info

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Enertia Eco prop and what results they have had. I have a Lund 219 with a 300 Vrod mounted as high as it will go. My best prop so far is the 19P regular Enertia. I can crack 60mph at about 6200 rpm's and have pretty good control. What I'm looking for is some more bow lift, WOT is not as important to me as mid range cruise speed. I have tried a 19PRev4, 21PTrophy, 19P BravoLT, and a 22P Enertia. The Enertia 19P is the best so far hands down. According to the Mercury website you can run the same pitch ECO and obtain better bite and control, more efficient mid range cruise, and.....better top end. This prop testing is getting expensive so if anyone has some real world experience on any boat running the Eco prop it would help in my decision. Thanks, Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2020, 12:42 AM
Slot Fish

Without adding another 50-100 hp, that's as good as you'll get with a 300.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2020, 06:14 AM
Wallhanger

I am happy with the results of the prop Im using. But i always carry a second prop and thought I might as well try to see if I can find one to give me some more bow lift and a little more bite in big (4-6) water. I may be chasing a unicorn as 22 of boat is a lot to lift. Right now Im thinking Bravo FS, the Eco or have D.A. H. Work the slightly damaged 19P Enertia I picked up on eBay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2020, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

I’ve played the prop game for several years and I get the most out of my my boats that the combination allows. A Rev 4 will give you the best control of any prop I have found however it’s a big wheel and your going to give up a few mph on the top end.

The Bravo (which I currently run) is a bit of a compromise. Decent handling and they’ll run well on the top end. Not the best at either but pretty good at both ends of the spectrum. They like to be ran high so a jackplate is a must with this prop.

I’ve never been a fan of the Enertia, the diameter of the prop gets to small on the higher pitch props (20-22p) for a big heavy 21 ft walleye boat. You’d be better off with a Tempest of the appropriate pitch. It’ll run as fast or faster and you’ll have better control, still less than a bravo or rev 4 however.

I’ve ran stock and worked versions of the Tempest, Rev, & Bravo by DAH and Croxton. Worked props can be magic if done right. It appears your willing to spend what it takes so I can only recommend calling one of the reputable guys that can customize a prop for you and discuss with them, they’ll get you setup! As a reference, DAH is well know for their work on Rev 4s while Croxton is more prone and better know for his work on Bravo’s.

As a side note, I’ve also tried the enertia, 3 different models of tempests, a trophy, high five, vengeance, and a couple others that escape my mind. My favorites have been the Rev, tempest and bravo 😉. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2020, 05:08 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks for the info SLE. I tried at least a dozen props on my 193 before settling on a large barrel Trophy worked by DAH. I ran it for about 10-11 years. You are right I want to get things dialed in then forget it. It came from Lund with the Enertia and so far it is the best. I chatted with Scott and Nick from Mercury racing and Scott suggested the Bravo LT 19P. It had too much stern lift. It worked fine on smooth and small chop but anything medium and up and it was terrible. No bite or control. Nick said send it to them and he would cut the barrel down and essentially make a FS out of it N/C. That was really nice of him but I had already sold it and took a $200 loss. I had a seller back out of a deal on a FS. So now I am going to buy new again. If you watch the Mercury racing prop page with Scott/Nick talking, the ECO looks like what I'm looking for. But???? so does the Bravo FS. I'm in no hurry as once set up I'll have this boat a long time. I do have a buddy that has a 19P Tempest and I can try that also. I have had John at DAH work several props for me and plan on giving him a call tomorrow to get his input. On my boat the Rev 4 was not as good as the Enertia.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:21 PM
Wallhanger

Food for thought, with as much as your investing in this boat, you should consider a jackplate. What works for engine height on one prop often times is different for the next and that can even change depending on weather conditions. For instance, if I’m running WOT and air’d out, my plate is up all the way, when running rough water, it’s down 1/2 way, that equates to 3” and it makes a noticeable difference in handling and ride. Food for thought.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:50 AM
Wallhanger

i have considered a jackplate but all my numbers are good for a 300 on my hull. Top end is great, mid range is 38 mph @ 4000 rpm burning 11 GPH. I am looking to raise the bow with trim and especially get more bite in big water. I now have 27” more bow in front of me than i did on my last rig so maybe that is as good as it gets w/o a plate. My biggest need is more bite to control working big water with the throttle. My cavitation plate is 2 1/4” above the hull and is as high as it goes. The Mercury site guys say the Eco offers the same bite as a 4 blade and better mid and top end. That is the reason for this post. I’m hoping to answer my needs with a prop. But maybe with my set up it’s as good as it can be. I fish big water quite a bit but I’m retiring this year and that is going to change to “a lot”. So who knows,, if I don’t come up with a unicorn of a prop a jackplate would be a good project for next winter. I realize that I could lower the motor to obtain the bite I’m looking for with a plate. But then I may have to go through prop testing all over again etc. I would like to avoid that if possible. It sure would be great if Mercury still had their demo program. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by peter8; 03-02-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:42 AM
Wallhanger

I've never tried a standard Enertia, but I've spent a lot of time running the ECO Enertia.

I have to say, it really surprised me how well it worked. I'm not generally a fan of 3 blade props, but it's actually replace my Bravo as my go to prop for fun/pre fishing and cruising. The main reason for that is it really does significantly boost fuel economy in the mid range, and it's a decent all around performer. I'm running the 19 ECO, and the top end is pretty much equal to a stock Bravo 20 FS, maybe 1-2 mph slower at most. Holeshot is decent, but slower than the Bravo or the Rev4. Handling in rough water is just OK, the Rev 4 blows it away, so if it's gonna be rough, I swap it out for the Rev 4.

The ECO Enertia is hard to turn, it's like going from a Bravo to a Rev 4, you need to go down in pitch. Based on your results, I'd say you're looking for a 19P, maybe even an 18P. I'd like to try an 18P myself, just to see if the added revs help out.

If you're looking for pure bow lift, the ECO is an option, but I'm not sure it's the best option. It'll lift the bow way more than a Rev 4, more than a stock Bravo LT, and in the same ballpark as a stock Bravo FS. I'm not a fan of the Bravo LT, and if you're after bow lift, I'd cross it and the Rev 4 off your list. I've got a worked Bravo FS (shortened tube, added cup, thinned blades) that has so much bow lift I don't like running it. It's not good for holeshot or in slower conditions, it's horrible in rough water, and it gives me a porpoise at mid range, but man, it's really fast on top end lol. If I was going to get a prop worked purely for bow lift, I'd suggest trying a modified Bravo FS. If you're after cruising efficiency, with a good top end, then I'd maybe look into what a good prop shop could do with the ECO (add some tip cup/shorten the barrel?) to try and add a little more bow lift.

One thing I'd mention, all of these props like to run at different engine heights. The ECO likes to run A LOT lower than the Bravos or Revs. Like SLE said, a power jackplate is a huge advantage if you're trying to optimize the performance of a prop. I don't think the "unicorn" prop exists, they're all a compromise in one aspect or another, so if you want maximum performance for the conditions, the ability to do a quick prop swap and then dial in the right outboard height at the touch of a button is pretty awesome. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Waxy
Old 03-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks Waxy, I am about 90% satisfied with my ride but would like to tweak it if possible. The LT was down right dangerous in heavy (4'-6') water. I kept loosing grip when I needed it most. The DAH worked Rev 4 did what it was supposed to and hooked up tight but had no lift. Like your FS my Enertia is a good compromise for all things. I pretty much have it narrowed down to FS or ECO for prop #2 then I have to sell a few lol. The Mercury Men say the Eco is an improvement over the FS. I am finding it tough to get any info because not many people out there have run one. I appreciate hearing from guys like you that have. I know you have a 208 but what motor is on it and what were RPM's. I was thinking a 18P for my application also. Between you and SLE I'm thinking a plate is in my future. I have a heated shop and can do it myself. A good project for next season!! With the warm forecast I figure in about 3 weeks or less I will be running so not this year. I called John at DAH but no answer. Depending on if he thinks he can work the other 19P Enertia or not and your rpm's with your boat I think I will try a Eco.

Last edited by peter8; 03-02-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter8 View Post
Thanks Waxy, I am about 90% satisfied with my ride but would like to tweak it if possible. The LT was down right dangerous in heavy (4'-6') water. I kept loosing grip when I needed it most. The DAH worked Rev 4 did what it was supposed to and hooked up tight but had no lift. Like your FS my Enertia is a good compromise for all things. I pretty much have it narrowed down to FS or ECO for prop #2 then I have to sell a few lol. The Mercury Men say the Eco is an improvement over the FS. I am finding it tough to get any info because not many people out there have run one. I appreciate hearing from guys like you that have. I know you have a 208 but what motor is on it and what were RPM's. I was thinking a 18P for my application also. Between you and SLE I'm thinking a plate is in my future. I have a heated shop and can do it myself. A good project for next season!! With the warm forecast I figure in about 3 weeks or less I will be running so not this year. I called John at DAH but no answer. Depending on if he thinks he can work the other 19P Enertia or not and your rpm's with your boat I think I will try a Eco.
Agreed on the Rev 4 and bow lift. It runs very flat, but, it has so much grip that I'm able to trim up and lift the bow at lower speeds if I need it. The really flat attack angle is the ticket on the 208, so it's without a doubt the best prop for me in rough water.

I'm running the 350 Verado. WOT RPMs are 6100-6200 with the 19 ECO. If I could find an 18P ECO cheap, I'd definitely try it. Another 100-150 RPM would help, and likely improve holeshot too. Depending on how it ran, I'd use that 18P ECO as the basis to get a one worked. I'd like to see what Croxton could do with it.

Waxy