Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Eagle trailer flat 5 connector - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 03-26-2020, 07:24 PM
Slot Fish

Default Eagle trailer flat 5 connector

My Eagle trailer has a flat 5 connector at the end of the harness. Fit my 2017 Explorer ok but not my new 2020 Explorer. The fifth terminal interferes with the new hookup. I was thinking maybe the fifth one was for electric brakes that I do not have... I could put a new flat four connector on and just isolate the fifth wire... but then I look it has SEVEN wires! Can't tell for sure what goes where! Anybody got any ideas? I'm going to try calling Eagle tomorrow but who knows if they are working.
Ideas are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 PM
Wallhanger

Can you tell if it has (2) brown and (2) whites, if so it has a "wishbone" harness that allows a dedicated running/tail light and ground circuit for each side.

Or get a 4-flat (vehicle) to 5-flat (trailer) adapter, and cut the blue lead off. http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...ies/47515.html

HRG

Last edited by Hot Runr Guy; 03-26-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 PM
Slot Fish

I did notice what looked like two whites... I will look to see the other colors tomorrow, meant to take a pic, I'll do that too.
Thanks for the quick response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 08:21 PM
Wallhanger

If your trailer has surge brakes with discs at the wheels then you need the fifth wire. It is to open a solenoid in the master cylinder and relieve the brake pressure so you can back up. Normally, it is connected to the back up lights so it is powered when you put the vehicle in reverse. Without this function, you need to use some sort of mechanical block to keep the brakes from being applied.

If your trailer has drum brakes or no brakes, then you don't need the fifth wire.

Jerry
Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 PM
Keeper

Assuming the trailer has surge brakes, the 5th wire is powered by the reverse lights and activates a solenoid to keep the brakes from engaging when you are backing up.

You could try an adaptor like this if the Ex also has a 7 round RV style plug.
https://smile.amazon.com/Super-repai...s%2C250&sr=8-3
Old 03-27-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Do you have a round 7 on the vehicle in question?

If so, use the round 7 to the flat 5 connector:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Optr....html?feed=npn
Old 03-27-2020, 10:55 AM
Wallhanger

Since most of the new trucks now come with a 7 pin round or 4 flat connecter. I just cut off my 5 pin connecter and hook up the wires to a 7 pin round connecter. Such as this one. Reese also makes them. https://www.amazon.com/CURT-58140-7-...5327752&sr=8-8
Those round plugs latch on to the 7 pin round plug on your truck. These prevents the dreaded flat connection from pulling out and dragging on the ground. If you look up some of the explorer forums. They might post a trailer wiring diagram. Some trucks do have the wiring diagram on the caps that cover the trailer plugin. Or in the manual. Have you had any trouble with the 2020 explorer. Allot of poor reviews out there right now. That is one of the suvs I would look at in a few years.

Last edited by Snowking; 03-27-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

With a 2020 vehicle move into the 21st century.

Get a 5 flat to 7 round coil cable and mount it to the trailer and be done with it.
Adapters and such fall out or get lost or corrode.
A little dielectric grease, tape it up and screw it to a mount or the frame.
One and done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200327_120150II.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	316876
Old 03-27-2020, 06:18 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for all the responses, getting this figured out...
The trailer is wired wishbone style, two white two brown the rest normal and I donít have trailer brakes so I donít need the last one... rather than rewire Iím going to use a short extension and leave it plugged in... helps as I have to stand on my head to see and plug it in to the socket. The other end I will glue magnets and let it stick to the ballmount when not in use. The Explorer has a 7 wire connector also but this is easier quicker and I have parts for it. PIA to get anything right now with self quarantine, Iím keeping eBay busy! Thanks again!
Old 03-28-2020, 07:17 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
Assuming the trailer has surge brakes, the 5th wire is powered by the reverse lights and activates a solenoid to keep the brakes from engaging when you are backing up.

You could try an adaptor like this if the Ex also has a 7 round RV style plug.
https://smile.amazon.com/Super-repai...s%2C250&sr=8-3
Done this ^^ or similar the last 10 yrs or so , works great , as one poster mentioned , it is possible to lose one Ö. if you forget to hook up trailer lights before you leave ( yeppers did that Ö. once ) I took electrical tape and secured the adapter to the boat trailer plug , many thousand miles since and no probs , works well
80# Ulterra
Helix Mega SI/DI,10, 9, 7