Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone else bothered by this? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-27-2020, 02:55 PM
cutting edge

Default Anyone else bothered by this?

Why do anglers hold bass with the weight of the fish supported by the jaw with the jaws stretched wide open...don't they know how hard this is on the jaws of the fish? I continually see pro anglers or fishing show hosts doing this as well as everyday anglers also...just curious if anyone else wonders about this as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

No, not at all.

In contrast to a Musky for example which is a much longer much heavier fish - the typical bss is a small fish that is easily supported by the lower jaw with no particular issues.

Take care
Old 03-27-2020, 05:38 PM
Wallhanger

Ya...I"m on board with this. I have to disagree with REW, i think the size of the fish is e relevant , I don't think its a good idea to hang ANY fish from the jaw and throw it back.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 07:02 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
No, not at all.

In contrast to a Musky for example which is a much longer much heavier fish - the typical bss is a small fish that is easily supported by the lower jaw with no particular issues.

Take care
just to be clear, I am referring to holding the bass horizontally by the lower jaw not vertically....this practice can definitely cause damage to the jaw of bass (particularly larger heavy bass). When holding bass or any fish, one hand should support the belly!
Old 03-27-2020, 07:42 PM
Wallhanger

I think about that every time I see it. It looks like it could cause damage to me. I'm surprised they still do it.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

Show Biz! Pro or twitter. Any bass over 2lbs needs horizontal belly support. JMHO Bob
Old 03-28-2020, 08:02 AM
Wallhanger

Catch and release fishing, using the resource for your enjoyment or personal financial gain, should be done with as little harm to the fish as possible. There's plenty of evidence that the horizontal lip hold can damage the jaw. Tournaments should have rules to prohibit it.

Here's just one source I found by searching "bass lip hold".
https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/p...-stop-lip-grip

Read your owner's manual.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

This has been something i have not liked ever since folks started doing this, maybe 30 years ago. Prior to this the standard on holding a fish which is paralyzed by the mouth hold, such as bass and crappie,was to hold it vertically so that the thumb is in a vertical position pointing down. By holding thus, the entire weight of the fish is not subjecting the jaw to as much stress. Every time I see a picture of a fish being subjected to a potential jaw fracture, I cringe. Why would a person hold a fish in such a manner? Sadly, I believe the practice started with bass tournament folks showing off their catch(honestly) and people suddenly believed this was an acceptable practice. I realize this is just my opinion, not being a fish biologist, but IMHO, it is not a good example of catch and release.

Bill
Old 03-28-2020, 08:35 AM
cutting edge

Glad to see that most agree that holding bass or crappie etc....this way not only looks like it's damaging but it really can be detrimental to the survival of the released fish...I really enjoy fishing and to me, when releasing any fish, they should be treated with the best care possible...thank you all for your replies....
Old 03-28-2020, 10:57 AM
Minnow

If bass only had teeth like walleyes and northern pike....then the "drill'em and drag'em boys on TV might have to "choot 'em" like the gator gkuys do.