Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Building trolling crankbait rods - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Keeper

Default Building trolling crankbait rods

I wanna build my own rods for 2 things. First tyoe is deep cranks off the side of boat in hand or holder with braided line and baitcaster reel. These are for river fishing 10-20fow with Deep husky jerks, bandits so want tips to wobble.

2nd rods are planer board rods pulling same deep cranks or 1oz bouncers and harnesses with MONO line

Wonder is glass better for these instances? Been using yellow Eagle claw rods in 8'6" and 10' for years as well as Okuma Dead eye Walleye series 7-8'6" for our board rods but wanna build my own for the custom feel and look

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Last edited by northshoremb; 07-30-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2020, 05:27 AM
Keeper

So nobody here knows the advantage or disadvantages of using Glass or glass blend over carbon or graphite for trolling cranks???

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2020, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

Greetings, glass is great, but I am a big fan of Batson's RX 4 Bullet proof Blanks. They are a composite of Graphite and glass. I normally get my Batson Blanks through Anglers Workshop. Give their site a look and especially the Batson Line. Balnks run from about $60 to $100. Send me an email if you have any questions.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 05:37 AM
Slot Fish

Peruse the Lamiglas website. They have a full array of blanks that focus on trolling...composite, hybrids and low modulus carbon. I like the latter and have yet to break one despite trolling harder
pulling plugs than those you listed.

https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/fishing-rod-blanks
Old 08-04-2020, 08:41 AM
Minnow

Been building some leadcore rods for some guys for a couple years now and the shorter ones are rainshadow glass blanks that are labeled as bass crankbait blanks. They work extremely well. The longer ones I actually use 10' steel head blanks and they are graphite and they have a nice bend in them comparable to the glass. So its really blank by blank. And I wouldn't hesitate to use these as regular braided line trolling. For deep cranks I'd probably go with a medium heavy.

Your board rods are going to be more stiff obviously. I'd probably stay with the graphites there.