Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Woodenfrog Campground - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 08:11 PM
GuestScratcher

Default Woodenfrog Campground

Thinking of a solo camping trip to Woodenfrog Campground. Anyone familiar with this place? Is it like an outback camp meaning food cache for bear prevention, animal intrusions or more urban rough it camping. Just not sure how to prepare. Any advise on how to prepare and what to expect appreciated. Thinking week after Labor day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2020, 08:22 AM
guest bad boy

https://www.campendium.com/woodenfrog
Old 08-11-2020, 05:41 PM
GuestScratcher

Thanks, I have read all the different online reviews. That's what provoked the question. The reviews and Facebook page make it seem pretty tame for that far north. Hoping some of the locals chime in with thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2020, 05:58 PM
Keeper

I figured out the login thing so i can drop the guest title.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:00 PM
Wallhanger

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_fo...00027#cmp00032

An "unimproved" state forest campground - meaning no RV hookups. Has designated sites, fire rings, picnic tables, dumpsters, etc. Water taps at selected locations. More primitive privies.

Also from the DNR website: "Unlike state park campgrounds, forest campgrounds do not have resident managers, organized nature programs, or modern facilities such as showers and flush toilets. They are semi-modern areas, designed to furnish the basic needs and provide opportunities for recreationists to pursue a variety of unstructured outdoor activities. Campgrounds are patrolled regularly to provide security and service to visitors."

I assume food lockers for bear prevention. I've watched bears rip up several Nat'l Park Service unoccupied campsites on Kabetogama. They know enough to ignore guys in boats yelling at them.

Bring a boat - any kind. Pretty much mandatory to have for Voyagers Park.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:05 AM
Wallhanger

Woodenfrog campground is an OK campground. It is located by several resorts. If you want to do a solo camping trip why not head to one of the many sites out on Kabetogama or Namakan. A good launching point is the National Park Ramp off of the Ash Trail. This launch has ample parking and puts you dead center between Kabetogama and Namakan. You can reserve a specific site using the National Park reservation system. Sites have fire rings, tent pad, and some have bear boxes for food storage.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Keeper

Well I'm experienced with bears in the woods I'm not experienced in camping around bears much. Not sure of all the little tips that make a camp safe. On a solo trip I'll stick to what i know until i get some experience with seasoned folks on that type of camp. Thanks for the info.