Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone use their I-Pilot spot lock along with a rear anchor? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone use their I-Pilot spot lock along with a rear anchor?

The spot lock feature of my I-Pilot has totally replaced my anchor for single-anchor situations, where a little bit of boat sway isn't an issue. My fall perching includes fishing pockets in weeds, where keeping the bait vertical is essential. In past years, I'd use separate anchors off of the bow and stern in this situation. I'm wondering if I can just drop a rear anchor along with the spot lock, or whether I need to go back to two anchors for this.

Has anyone tried using their I-Pilot spot lock along with a rear anchor and, if so, did you have any issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Wallhanger

I haven't tried the anchor yet but I'd bet an anchor or a drift sock off the transom may slow the swing. I was fishing a current seam yesterday below the Castle Rock Dam on the Wisconsin River and tried spot lock only and anchoring of the bow only. Spot lock held my position better with less transom swing than the anchor....unfortunately the fish were less than cooperative.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
The spot lock feature of my I-Pilot has totally replaced my anchor for single-anchor situations, where a little bit of boat sway isn't an issue. My fall perching includes fishing pockets in weeds, where keeping the bait vertical is essential. In past years, I'd use separate anchors off of the bow and stern in this situation. I'm wondering if I can just drop a rear anchor along with the spot lock, or whether I need to go back to two anchors for this.

Has anyone tried using their I-Pilot spot lock along with a rear anchor and, if so, did you have any issues?
I've done so on occasion, with either a stern anchor or even a small drift sock off the stern to help hold my position and boat orientation above a wingdam. An upstream wind will tend to catch the stern if the boat turns across current just a bit, and a small sock or stern anchor helps to hold the stern and prevent the wind from catching it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, guys. I'll give the drift sock and/or the stern anchor a shot next time out.