Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tow Mode - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Keeper

Default Tow Mode

I'm driving a 2006 Yukon with the trailer package. On the gear shift end is the button you push to switch over to tow mode. It basically changes the shift parameters in the transmission. I looked in the owner's manual and it says to use this for towing "heavier loads". My question is: At what trailer weight should I be using the button? What constitutes a "heavier load"? Are we talking 3500# or 4500#? My boat weighs about 2400# fully loaded for making the trek to Ontario and the vehicle has no problem handling the load. Your thoughts please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Slot Fish

Smile

I use it on my trips to Canada, it seems to help keep transmission temperature lower.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Wallhanger

I use my "tow/haul" mode whenever I pull my boat but if your truck doesn't downshift alot when pulling your boat, you may not need to use it.
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Minnow

I would use it any time you are pulling something regardless of the weight. Most tow haul modes raise the shift points allowing a more positive shift. The last thing you want is your torque converter slipping. So, tow/haul mode and select 3 gear unless it pulls easily in 4th without downshifting. My opinion.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

If you are lugging your engine at all when towing if not in tow mode- press the tow mode button to ease the stress on the vehicle.

Good luck
Old 06-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
If you are lugging your engine at all when towing if not in tow mode- press the tow mode button to ease the stress on the vehicle.

Good luck
I pulled a 2100# boat and trailer behind a 2007 Trailblazer with no problems. Never used tow mode in over 20,000 miles of towing. Still have the Trailblazer ,100,000 miles , 2500# boat ,use tow mode on very steep hills or in bigger towns or cities. I wouldn't anticipate any problems not using tow mode, but I also agree with REW.
Have you talked to a dealer about the capability ?
Old 06-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

My experience on my 2001 5.3 3.73 Silverado when towing is that the transmission downshifts more often when I use "tow" than when I don't. For that reason, I stopped using it for my boat, but I never, ever use cruise control in towing the boat, rather, I go fast down hill and ease up going up. After a few trips, it becomes predictable when a down shift can be likely, and can be controlled by managing speed, without creating a pain for following vehicles. My 20' Alaskan is relatively light, however I would choose to use "Tow" if pulling a much heavier object. I think it is a matter of being aware of what the truck is doing, whether it is lugging, or running fairly easy without continual down shifts. It depends on many individual factors in the gear train, engine torque, mph, total weight being pulled, etc.

Bill
Old 06-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Minnow

You should use tow haul mode when towing around 75%+ of your vehicles total haul rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Wallhanger

I had a Nissan Titan 5.7L and when driving out to AZ from WI with an empty 18' enclosed trailer I did not use the tow mode. When returning, full and about 7000# I engaged the tow mode. To my amazement I got better mileage on the return trip. It changes the shift patterns depending on RPM's and other conditions. Crossing TX, OK and Kansas, I could easily maintain 65 to 70mph and that truck was barely breathing hard. Using tow mode when pulling is what it is designed for, why not use it.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Keeper

Putting a load or lugging your engine will put more wear on it then having it spin at a higher RPM and working easier. These motors are built pretty tough but there is no sense in putting more stress on it then needed.