Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Powerdrive Foot Pedals - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Minnow

Default Powerdrive Foot Pedals

I picked up a used Powerdrive off of CL that had some steering issues. I expected that the foot pedal would be the issue, and it is.

I ordered a new style pedal on ebay (description said it will fit all Powerdrive motors), thinking that they may be backwards compatible, but they are not, it has the round plug.

Anyone know if the plug connectors can be spliced, or are they different internally? I assume that the new foot pedal is a better design.

I'm aware of the copilot upgrade, but they are expensive for the older motors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Minnow

Planned obsolescence. I am treating my old powerdrive footpedal with TLC for this reason. The motor works like a champ. I'm pretty sure it will be the footpedal that causes me to upgrade.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:53 AM
Minnow

The issue is that there is only a thin film over the "button" contacts on the PCB. Once the film wears through, moisture gets in the contacts and it's all over.

Best thing you can do IMO is keep it stowed until you need to use it, grit seems to be the worst thing for them. Taking it apart and lubing the contact areas may help as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Slot Fish

Default a couple of options

I'm assuming you bought a used Power Drive V1 (black head "Power Drive" on side plate). You can replace the control board in a PD V1 to essentially turn it into a PD V2. Control boards are available at : https://northlandmarine.com/collections/control-boards

That might be best since you have money into the V2 foot pedal. Or you could look for a V1 Co-pilot for it.

Or change the control board and upgrade to ipilot, but you better have gotten a REALLY good price on the trolling motor.

Last edited by middleton1; 08-23-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleton1 View Post
I'm assuming you bought a used Power Drive V1 (black head "Power Drive" on side plate). You can replace the control board in a PD V1 to essentially turn it into a PD V2. Control boards are available at : https://northlandmarine.com/collections/control-boards

That might be best since you have money into the V2 foot pedal. Or you could look for a V1 Co-pilot for it.

Or change the control board and upgrade to ipilot, but you better have gotten a REALLY good price on the trolling motor.
Correct. I'm going to send the V2 pedal back.

I bought it under the assumption that I could get a foot pedal for a reasonable price, but I'm finding that they are NLA, NOS and even used ones are very expensive, for a pedal that is junk in the first place.

Same goes for a compatible Copilot, nearly 200 dollars.

I found a schematic online and think I can make it work wirelessly with a 12v 4 channel relay controller and a pair of DPDT relays. The poor man's copilot.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Wallhanger

Not sure of your location but a craigslist search may be in order or place a wtb within the classifieds area
Here is one that has been up for about a month in MN
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...654553242.html

There should be plenty of them laying around, avoid the insane eBay pricing
Old 08-23-2018, 09:45 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber16 View Post
Not sure of your location but a craigslist search may be in order or place a wtb within the classifieds area
Here is one that has been up for about a month in MN
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...654553242.html

There should be plenty of them laying around, avoid the insane eBay pricing
That price seems pretty high to me, considering that they were ~100 dollars brand new. That's how it is though, scarcity drives the price up.

I'm in Central Missouri, haven't seen anything on CL, except a V2 that already has copilot which I should've bought in the first place, but it is what it is.