Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Are planerboards necessary in 15+ FOW? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 10-16-2001, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Are planerboards necessary in 15+ FOW?

Is it really that necessary to use boards when runnin' the baits close to the bottom in 15+ FOW? If I was using a BB/crawler harness in 22 ft. why not run them right off the side of the boat? I understand that shallow cranks should be on boards away from the boat. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2001, 01:12 PM
Minnow

Default RE: Are planerboards necessary in 15+ FOW?

Wally,

It really depends on how spooky the fish are the water clarity and area fishing. There have been times when i have to run the boards 150 to 200 feet from the boat for suspended fish 10 to 20 feet down trial and error for the most part try one side with boards and the other without see what side out produces but 9 times out of ten i will run boards makes easier for S turns and turning in genral.

Old 10-24-2001, 09:04 AM
Slot Fish

Sometimes yes. Water clarity and such are big factors. The fish being able to see or hear the boat can cause it to scatter to the sides of the boat, in all depths of water. Sometimes however, you can't catch a fish with a board on. In my opinion there are certain water situations that cause fish to spook in different directions. Down, up, to the sides, or a mixture. Experimenting to find out what will work for any particular day or water and weather condition is the most important thing you can do.

Good luck,
----------
Marshall J. Dunn
N.P.A.A. # 701
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2001, 07:39 PM
Keeper

One of the reasons i use boards is to get more lines off the back of the boat if i have more than myself in the boat.In my state it is 3 lines per angler as you can see it is much easier to turn if the lines are spread out.Rip some lips.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:26 PM
Wallhanger

Wallytap.

Your question is one that could be discussed for 10 hours in a good seminar. But the benefits of running boards would eventually win out. Back in the late 50'/early 60's, when I was just a pup fishing for walleyes with my dad, the crawler harnesses blade color was the only variable and solution to success (or lac of) anybody thought about. Not wanting to go into all the inovations since then, lets just talk about what the planner board does and tells you, yes, tells you, versus fishing straight out the back. I run a walleye fishing charter on Saginaw Bay, and I use the Big Jon Otter boat planner boards. Besides the benfits already discussed, (keeps the line away form the boat), (allows you to run several lines), (Keeps both the noise and shadow from spooking the fish), there are others. I spend a lot of time (as you can immagine) watching both the lines and the boards on my trips. If I make a right turn and the outside board gets a release just then, that tells me to speed up. If the inside board gets a hit, slow down. If another boats wake hits the boards and they stall, and get a hit when they start back up, I start stalling and ingageing the outdrive. On days when there is a two foot chop and the boards are sometimes skipping or surfing from wave to wave, this sporatic gerking action often immitates the jerky fleeing motion of baitfish and pulls the walleye string. If all your lines are set at the same length using the same lure and the first line out from the boat gets the most fish, the others are set to long. Thats because the first rods line out from the boat, is out of the water more than the others. And the higth/angle from the top of the planner mast, makes that crankbait run shallower. Conversly, if the end line gets more action, lengthen the leads on the ones inside. All these things don't happen when your running 2 lines straight out the back. Or at least not to the degree as when using planner boards. And don't confuse planner boards with inline boards. Remeber, the guy who is more aware and intune with the variables and how they effect each other, is the guy who has fewer excuse at the end of the day. :) Hope this helped, Capt: Dan.