Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What's your overall most productive deep divin' crank? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 02-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Minnow

Default What's your overall most productive deep divin' crank?

Currently we are redesigning our deep diver baits that are included in our kits and are very interested in knowing what you consider your MOST PRODUCTIVE OVERALL CRANKBAIT in the 3 ft.+ depth range.
Please feel free to elaborate as to color combo's/patterns as well.

Thanks,

Sebastian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2002, 10:26 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: What's your overall most productive deep divin' crank?

Fishstock.
My most productive crank on Saginaw Bay, bar none, is the (old style)1/4 Hot-N-Tot. The best color would be the silver body, teamed with the black, green, red, purple herringbone finishes. Add to this a red bill/lip. Another piece of valuable advise. I recently tried a few other deep diving cranks on the Bay. Some that are big sellers on Lake Erie. I like the action, the color, the whole package, except one thing. They don't surface when they get weeds on them. And weeds have become a big problem lately on the Saginaw Bay. I use Big Jon Otter boat planner boards, always. When the 1/4 ounce Tot's get any weeds at all on them, they pop up to the surface. I mean any little weed at all. I don't know if it's the bills placment on the lure or it's whole dynamics. But I spot this when it happens and can most often just snap the line, clear the weeds, and continue fishing uninterupted. The other diving lures I use, get weeded up and don't surface. So I waste time trolling around with a crank that nothing will hit.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:33 PM
Wallhanger

Overall the best producer for me is the Storm (old style) deep diving thunderstick Jr. Rapala redesigned the 'stick' and it no longer works as well. I also am very fond of the number 9 Shad Rap deep divers and particularily like the all pearl color or the firetiger. Natural shad colors are always good too. Need a lure that can get at least 12+ feet down. 3-8' divers are less useful to me in the bodies of water that I like to fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2002, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

When you say deep diving to this crowd, they expect to talk about a minimum of 18', down to around 25'. A 3' lure would be considered a shallow diver or a stick bait. The Reef Runner "Rip Stick" is one of the best.

But there is no doubt that a good simulation of the Hot N Tot has a ready made demand sitting up there on the shore of Saginaw Bay.

By the way the drop tail design of the Reef Runner has been trade marked, which should slow down the import copy cats. Would not want to see you cause yourself a problem.

Good luck.