Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shimano spinning reels - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 03-02-2002, 11:42 PM
Minnow

Default Shimano spinning reels

I am looking to buy a new spinning reel. I have been looking at th shimano symetre. I prefer a rear drag and i just was wondering if they are good and reliable or if i should look at any other reels. i am willing to spend up to about $90.
thanx for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2002, 09:51 PM
Minnow

Default RE: Shimano spinning reels

The Shimano Symetre reel is an excellent all around reel. In most stores it retails for about $85. I would highly recommend this reel. Shimano has the best components for their reels thus making it one of the most reliable reels on the market. I have used them in the past and I have several fishin' partners that use only Symetre reels. The Symetre reel is a 4 ball bearing reel w/ a 6:1 gear ratio, it is fluid driven and has Shimano's trademark superstopper II feature. These features are why it is a bargain for $85.

Happy Fishin'
Old 03-18-2002, 11:01 PM
Minnow

I would suggest you stay with the Symetre! This is a great reel, very reliable. I own (2), also a Stradic. I find the Symetre is very close for $30 less. One consideration is the spare spool. You get a graphite with the Symetre, and an aluminum with the Stradic.

Good luck!
-macdaddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2002, 11:34 AM
SnellTier

I own about 20 Shimano spinning reels. Some cheap (from when I first got started) and some top-end. All work well ... I have never had a problem with one of them. I also prefer the rear-drag ... just because it is easier to see which way to turn the drag for "MORE or LESS" tension ... and easier to adjust it while fighting a fish. I have front and rear drag models and use the rear drag almost exclusively.

A day spent fishing does not count against one's alloted life span