Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trip suggestions needed - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Trip suggestions needed

I’ve been drafted by my coworkers to come up with a fishing trip that four of us can take that meets the following requirements:
1. Good fishing
2. Remote area
3. Maximum trip length of four days, leaving from the Detroit area
4. Time of year is flexible, any time from this fall to next summer
5. Cost is (almost) no object

Does anyone have suggestions of where we could drive or fly from Detroit that meets these criteria? I can’t come up with anything “remote” that requires less than a nearly a full day of travel each way, which results in an unacceptably high ratio of traveling to fishing. We’ve worked together 30 years and these guys are like brothers to me, but none of them are serious fishermen and I think there are better ways to spend the company’s generosity. But I promised them I’d look into it and what better way than to seek the collective wisdom present at Walleye Central?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Wallhanger

Little Bay de Noc, beginning of November.

Stay at Sal-Mar in Rapid River and fish with Ken Lee.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
PaysPaultoPayPeter

Default The saints go marching in.

If you want to be in that number, try St. Lawrence River- 1,000 island area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Maybe not "remote" in the truest sense, but Pelee island or Kelley's island, grab a condo/cottage/etc. and hook up with any of the charters, late in the season ?

Other than that, Lake of the woods, houseboat and some coolers or Fireside Lodge in Canada.

Man, your possibilities are endless !
Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Wallhanger

Default Trip suggestions needed

Hello Homer, I agree with Work Release your possibilities are endless. What is making suggestions difficult for me is the remote requirement without the day travel each way. If you could lengthen the trip a little and accept the day each way travel you would have endless possibilities. There are so many great places that could be tailored to your group’s interests.

If your group is not serious fisherman I strongly suggest fully Guided American plans wherever you go. I personally love Canadian Wilderness Fishing. I believe it is the best fresh water fishing in the World. Being from the Midwest myself I know how hard winters could be. I have always been interested in the Florida Keys, Mexico or Cost Rica when the snow is blowing and it is -25 below with the wind chill.

Again like Work release stated your possibilities are endless. Homer, your friends entrusted with you the planning of an adventure that they will remember the rest of their lives. Have fun searching and planning. If you are interested in a Canadian Wilderness Adventure I do have some suggestions. If Canada interests your group post your request on that Canada EH forum and hang on. Wherever you and your brothers from another mother decide, have a great adventure.

Thank you,
Larry Mac
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Homer...
place I looked at some years back... Rainey River/Lake with a houseboat. Sounded like a sweet trip.

I charter on NY waters of Erie and although not remote you can fish mid week and only see 2 or 3 other boats. Allegany Reservoir (Kinzua Reservoir is close by there and is pretty remote especially mid week. Some cabins around lake along with 1 or 2 that I think are only accessable by water.

If you come this way for Erie I'll point you in the right direction to get on fish. If you would go to the reservoir I'd suggest a guide for at least a day. To fish all of Kinzua you would need Pa/NY and Indian Res. license. Fish migrate north to south (from NY/Res to Pa) from spring to summer and back north in fall, would need appropriate license depending on time of year.

Here is a link with a bit of info about reservoir...
http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/day_t...kinzua_dam.htm

As for a guide on the reservoir Charlie Brant grew up there, knows every inch of that valley before they flooded it. The guy fishes like 300 days a year.
http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com/

Come on up in August and join us at the Glenn for a day for the Sprint Race.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to everybody who replied (and downriverbob for the phone call)!

Armed with the suggestions you've given me, I can give them a range of options and we'll see if we can agree on a trip.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 AM
kruger

Here is a place I go often. About 8 hour drive from the Detroit area. Great fishing, food and lodging.

http://www.pineportage.com/
Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Minnow

Try Here:

http://www.beyerscharterservice.com/index.html

Not too far away, can be remote, good fishing.

Kirk
Old 04-29-2009, 05:02 PM

Default 10,000 Islands of the remote Florida Bay

Hey Homer,

I would strongly recommend trying a Backcountry Trip to the Florida Keys. Though the Keys themselves are not "remote", once your with your guide and out 30 minutes into the 10,000 Islands area of the Florida Bay and National Park, you are completely remote and in the best fishing the Northern Hemisphere offers; that is, if you like Tarpon, Snook, Redfish, Bonefish, Permit, Trout, Shark, Snapper. etc... fishing. This time of the year, through July the BIG Tarpon are in, and a night trip will almost guarantee a hook-up w/a 100++ lb fish. All the other species (and baby Tarpon up to 50+ lbs) can be caught year round.

My other suggestion would be an outpost trip to Lac Seul. Anderson's Lodge is great, and I've been fishing them for 25 years. I actually have a post looking for 2-4 guys to round out a camp for the 19th of June.

If you're interested in the Keys, my brother is a guide out of Islamorada and can be reached through his web site www.tarponheadquarters.com
He can take very good care of your group in the Keys...