Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Helix Update - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 07-11-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Helix Update

My Helix 10 is running software version 1.6xx, so it is old. The new version is 2.180. If I do not use or have 360, does it make any sense to update? What other advantages are there to update? The website only talks about the 360 advantages.
Thanks, Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2020, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

If your unit is working well, and does what you want it to do, I wouldn't do the update. Don't "fix" what isn't broken.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 07-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Keeper

Working for a software and hardware company I suggest locating the release notes to learn what fixes you will get as well as any enhancements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, I tried to do that and all it talks about is 360 which I do not have. If there are other advantages, I would like to know that also.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:23 PM
Wallhanger

2.280 now released. Gen3

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 07-11-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:39 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
If your unit is working well, and does what you want it to do, I wouldn't do the update. Don't "fix" what isn't broken.
I agree. My hummingbird/ minn Kota updates usually screw up more things than they fix and I have yet to see any enhancements
112 Ulterra linked with Birds
Old 07-12-2020, 05:41 AM
Wallhanger

You don't say what version (G1, 2 or 3) your Helix 10 is. You also don't say if it's SI, DI, networkable, or MEGA imaging. There are a lot of advantages to update that you might be missing out on. You say your is version 1.6xx, so you're several updates behind. You certainly don't need the 2.180 update, but I'd talk to Huminbird and find out what versions between yours and 2.180 would be available. Incidentally, the latest update also includes all the previous updates.
That being said, I have had problems with updates. I had to send my unit in because it didn't work after an update. My tactic now is to do the update just before I mothball my boat for the winter. That way I can check it out on the water and have all winter for them to get it fixed. But I won't do the 2.180 update either because it's all 360 updates.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 07-12-2020, 07:35 AM
Wallhanger

While this one may be only mega 360, You can be sure there are other changes not mentioned in the release documentation (fixing other issues they don't necessarily want publicized). If you give it some time before you update and then update if you don't hear of bad things about it is probably the best way to do it. Bob
Old 07-12-2020, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

I'm sorry for not being clearer. Here is my unit, Helix 10 mega chirp si gps g2n. I also have a Helix 7 chirp gps g2n, which also has not been updated for a while, and yes they are networked together. One of the reasons for no updates is I have bee layed up after back surgery and not able to fish all of last year. In fact, this past week was the first time I was able to get in my boat. My son used it last year but really only used the depth feature.
I see that there is now another update available, but I have not looked to see what it addresses.
Thanks, Tom
Old 07-12-2020, 01:32 PM
Wallhanger

When in doubt call HB or get someone who has been following all the Helix updates. If you don't on WC you could ask on BBC. Between the 2 sites you should get a definitive answer. Bob