Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Info on a New Envirude 115 hp SS Prop - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Minnow

Question Info on a New Envirude 115 hp SS Prop

Just purchased a brand new- 2013 Smoker Craft Ultima with an Evinrude 115 hp ob motor and I would like to upgrade the prop.
Here some stats;
Boat weight total approx 1950-2025 lbs with full gas tank, full live wells, motor, people and equipment. My tach is broken (yea really) so I don't have any idea of the RPMS at WOT. Top end came in at 58-60 Kph GPS'd.
I recently tried a SS Viper - 3 blade 19 pitch 14 1/2" [corrected] diameter prop and liked the performance but it lifted the nose far too high so traded it for a 4 blade Cyclone 14 1/8" [corrected] dia (for transom lift and mid RPM performance), 19 pitch SS prop. Any advice/help on what exactly I should be considering as far as pitch, diameter, etc. Any help will be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/...ats/ultima/172

Last edited by Mooseman; 06-18-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Wallhanger

im not good w metric, but I assume your gearcase is the 25" model that uses the bigger props. Depending on what your looking for, if u want top speed I would go with a powertech PTR, pitch I cant recommend cause u dont know what u have w a 19 yet. If you want rough water and low plane speed handling go w a tempest or a rev4, wont be as fast tho. In english measures the 14" to 14.25" props will be faster, the 14.50 to 15" props will have better handling and slower plane speed. On my similar boat I use the tempest, its the best trade off of all the needs
Old 06-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I assume that you stated your prop diameter incorrectly.
I don't believe that a 24 inch prop will fit on your motor.

But a 14 or 14 1/4 inch prop is pretty standard on the rig.

I am surprised that you don't like a prop that lifts the bow. Much better performance with the bow lifted from the water.

If the bow is too high you can always trim the motor down a touch.

Normally for best running, no more than about 30% of the boat should be in the water, when runnning fast. The rest of the boat should be out of the water sitting only on air.

Be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Minnow

Thumbs up Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
I assume that you stated your prop diameter incorrectly.
I don't believe that a 24 inch prop will fit on your motor.

But a 14 or 14 1/4 inch prop is pretty standard on the rig.

I am surprised that you don't like a prop that lifts the bow. Much better performance with the bow lifted from the water.

If the bow is too high you can always trim the motor down a touch.

Normally for best running, no more than about 30% of the boat should be in the water, when runnning fast. The rest of the boat should be out of the water sitting only on air.

Be safe
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

You are indeed correct; my mistake (typo), the prop is indeed a SS- 4 blade 14 1/8", 19 pitch. I checked the box.
I haven't tried this prop yet but I will get back to you after I do.

Last edited by Mooseman; 06-18-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
Just purchased a brand new- 2013 Smoker Craft Ultima with an Evinrude 115 hp ob motor and I would like to upgrade the prop.
Here some stats;
Boat weight total approx 1950-2025 lbs with full gas tank, full live wells, motor, people and equipment. My tach is broken (yea really) so I don't have any idea of the RPMS at WOT. Top end came in at 58-60 Kph GPS'd.
I recently tried a SS Viper - 3 blade 19 pitch 14 1/2" [corrected] diameter prop and liked the performance but it lifted the nose far too high so traded it for a 4 blade Cyclone 14 1/8" [corrected] dia (for transom lift and mid RPM performance), 19 pitch SS prop. Any advice/help on what exactly I should be considering as far as pitch, diameter, etc. Any help will be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/...ats/ultima/172
I just purchased a 2014 Smokercraft Pro Angler 172XL which is the same boat but different layout more for fishing. Let me know what your performance is when you try it out. I'm getting 42mph GPS (5950rpm) with the standard yamaha 19 pitch prop. The motor isn't broken in yet tho.

Dale C
Old 06-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Minnow

Thumbs up Smoker172

What size ob engine are you running? Have you tried any other SS props yet?

Nice boats I hope you are as impressed with yours as I am with mine!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:58 PM
Minnow

Mines a 115 Yamaha. Haven't tried a SS yet. I'll likely try a 17 pitch SS as I don't care for top end much. If I lose a couple MPH I won't be disappointed. I'm more for torque than top end .
Old 06-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I suspect that you will like the 17 pitch ss prop on this engine with your boat.

I have several friends that have the Yamaha 115 4 stroke on 17 foot boats and all of them use the 17 pitch stainless prop for their rigs.

The key thing with this setup is that you get excellent hole shot, midrange, and fine top speed.

Be safe
Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Minnow

Lightbulb Smoker, Rew

Let me know the stats on your SS props and what you think of them. I'm interested in trying different setups. I bought into a prop program at the dealer which allows me to try numerous different types without purchasing each one. Diameter, pitch and blades are factors in these decisions and I want the best economy and hole punch and like you I am not to interested in top end and don't mind sacrificing a few mph/kphs for the get up and go starts.

Tags
evinrude , pitch , prop , smokercraft