Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Electrolysis Question/Issue - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 09-17-2020, 07:14 AM
Slot Fish

Default Electrolysis Question/Issue

After a week of fishing i noticed some electrolysis on my Vantage trolling motor. (We did a bunch of back trolling that week) Most of my fishing this year has been with my Ulterra with no signs of any electrolysis at all on that unit. Everything appears to be wired correctly with no common grounds between house-starting & trolling motor batteries. Is it possible that my on board charger is carrying current when i am on the water fishing causing my issue? Why just the Vantage and not the Ulterra? (I am going to pull the fuses out of the 4th leads and check next time i am on the water) Mostly looking for some trouble shooting tips and how to trace if i have stray current. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2020, 12:58 PM
Wallhanger

I am guessing you mean to say you are experiencing galvanic corrosion on your Vantage motor.

I know my Terrova was provisioned with a zinc that screwed onto the prop shaft. It is possible that one motor has a sacrificial anode and the other doesn’t. An added anode may solve your problem.

Its a good practice to install a hull anode which will eliminate a lot of electric induced problems. I have one and it is pitted so I know it is doing its job.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:22 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks....the motor has anodes's which are in great shape still and would take care of anything stray with it being bolted to the hull. Weird part is that the Ulterra shows no sign of anything! Could it be just a failure in the Vantage itself....If there is a failure in a seal somewhere?

We have tested the Verado to the battery with no loss of current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2020, 10:01 PM
Wallhanger

When you say your motor is bolted on and has anodes, are you referring to your outboard motor? If so, the motor anodes are insufficient to protect an aluminum hull or your electric trolling motors.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:49 AM
Slot Fish

Looks like I found my issue. Am guessing the seals are gone causing me the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1ED8D3F6-CC95-4742-B85A-EFE07E46EAB4.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	321538   Click image for larger version

Name:	5BC9DA63-8AB0-48ED-905A-95A46A4F08C3.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	321540