Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Winch Strap RATINGS? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 01-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Wallhanger

Default Winch Strap RATINGS?

Need to replace my 2" winch strap:

Capacity Rating on my Fulton winch is stamped 1500lb . I see the straps for sale have 2 ratings,," Maximum Break Rating" and "Working Load Rating". which is 1/3 of the Break Rating. Which rating should I be matching to the "winch capacity" ? Would a strap with a "Break" rating of 4000lb be right for this winch?

Boat is a 2001 Lund Rebel-V1650. Bunk trailer. Probably with all gear and fuel the boat about 1200-1300lb.

Last edited by MarkG; 01-20-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 05:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
Need to replace my 2" winch strap:

Capacity Rating on my Fulton winch is stamped 1500lb . I see the straps for sale have 2 ratings,," Maximum Break Rating" and "Working Load Rating". which is 1/3 of the Break Rating. Which rating should I be matching to the "winch capacity" ? Would a strap with a "Break" rating of 4000lb be right for this winch?

Boat is a 2001 Lund Rebel-V1650. Bunk trailer. Probably with all gear and fuel the boat about 1200-1300lb.
I would replace it with whatever it originally had. You could go heavier, but keep in mind a thicker strap will in effect change the gear ratio.

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins
Old 01-21-2017, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

the 1500# is the rating of the winch itself and not the rating of the strap. a 4000# strap is all you need with your boat. the weight of your boat being winched on the trailer will require less pulling strength than the weight of the boat. the winch rating has to do with the gear ratio of the winch. like say a fulton 3200# winch has 2 speeds. one set of gears for fast retrieval and another set for pulling a heavy load. hope this helps. if in doubt you can always go to a 5000# strap. but I've used a 4000# strap on my 21' cobia glass boat with a 350 mercruiser with no problems. i now use a 3000# electric winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2017, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
the 1500# is the rating of the winch itself and not the rating of the strap. a 4000# strap is all you need with your boat. the weight of your boat being winched on the trailer will require less pulling strength than the weight of the boat. the winch rating has to do with the gear ratio of the winch. like say a fulton 3200# winch has 2 speeds. one set of gears for fast retrieval and another set for pulling a heavy load. hope this helps. if in doubt you can always go to a 5000# strap. but I've used a 4000# strap on my 21' cobia glass boat with a 350 mercruiser with no problems. i now use a 3000# electric winch.
That 4000# rating we speaking of,, is the "BREAK" rating...correct?
Old 01-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I just use the "inexpensive" straps available at the local store. In this case they happen to be 5000 lb straps.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/boat.../0000000030333

In normal operation, it is unlikely that your strap will ever see much more than 500-1000 lbs of pull on the strap.

The only time that you might really stress the strap would be if you would have to do a vertical pull on the strap - if the boat was below a bank and you had to do a vertical lift on the boat with the winch strap.

Otherwise, you have a boat that is floating in water and normally gets 2/3rd or more onto the boat under power or floats on. So, most folks only winch the boat for a few feet with a couple of hundred lbs of pull.

---------------------
Also, in general, when a winch strap gets worn - it is only the front 2-4 feet where it might get twisted and or scraped over a bow roller or similar. Since most folks never really use more than about 10 feet or so of strap - if that happens, you can remove the strap from the boat, cut the hook off of the strap and then use a heavy duty industrial sewing machine that will handle the job to sew the hook back onto the end of the strap.

The last time that this happened to me, I cut off the worn part of the strap and then used about a 4 foot piece of another winch strap that I had sitting around to double up on the last 4 feet of strap to both stiffen the strap as well as to increase its wear resistance for the wear that happens near the winch on a taunt strap. I have the appropriate sewing machine in my work shop to handle the task.

Take care
Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Or, choose one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...at+winch+strap
Old 01-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
The DL 4000lb, strap, the 2nd one listed in your link seems right. Ordering that one. Mine is 16 years old, time to replace,,,Thanks REW !