Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
freaking out over retirement - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2019, 09:42 AM
Minnow

Default freaking out over retirement

With retirement only days away I am starting to freak out a little. Both excitement and panic at the same time! I am assuming this is somewhat normal? What I think is getting to me is the thought of going from a structured routine for the majority of life to what retirement brings. Ya, the money part is a little concern even though I 'think' we are set up pretty good. Just wondering if most of you that have, or are about to retire felt/feel the same way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Wallhanger

46 years in My "JOB".....
Woke up one morning and said to Myself.. "I DON'T NEED THIS BULL---T ANYMORE"
Went in and gave My boss My 2 week notice..
He laughed cause He thought I was kidding.
Was set up pretty good financially, BUT its always a concern..
Don't sweat it... It will ALL work out well...
HDS 8 Gen 1
Old 12-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

It is perfectly normal to have a bit of anxiety with change.

Going from a daily work schedule to something not yet known is perfectly normal.

But, I think the key to retirement is to don't stop from living. It is easy to get into a rut where one says that there is no schedule or no hurry to get anything done.

But, as when you are working, get something done every day, because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Also, don't eliminate the possibility of part time work.

Take care and be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2019, 10:18 AM
Slot Fish

Default retirement

I had all the same feelings you are having when I retired about 18 months ago. All has worked out well.

On my last day of work I had this funny feeling where I was not sure I had completed something (45 years in my profession) or if I was quitting something. Hard to explain.

It took a little getting used to the fact we did not have to wait until the weekends to go somewhere.

You will enjoy retirement. As has been mentioned, you can always work part time or do volunteer work if you want some "busy" in your life.

Buffalo Fishhead
Old 12-25-2019, 10:24 AM
Wallhanger

If you don't have a hobby(s) to consume your time, find something that will. Volunteer work, travel, new hobby, etc. Make sure you have a reason to get up in the morning.

You'll find that catching up on projects at home and fishing probably won't be enough.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:46 AM
Keeper

I know the feeling. You will get in a rhythm after the initial honeymoon period.

Be thankful you can pull the trigger now. I have friends that are nowhere near retirement and desperately clinging to their health insurance at work. Ugg!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Retired in June of this year. I do miss the interactions but not the BS. My biggest issue is working on preventing bad habits from forming, like staying up late or sleeping in when there are things to do. Of course being retired generally means you are older and admittedly it's a lot harder physically to get things done as it seems like I used to go to work and get everything done, now it seems like nothing is done! Oh well just make sure you take care of everything owed you from your working days and welcome to the time where you should be able to say........it's Tuesday, I think I'll go fishing today!
Old 12-25-2019, 01:44 PM
Wallhanger

I was glad to retire at 49, now 72 and never once looked back or had any regrets.
Others are giving good advice, all I can say is ENJOY retirement, it ain't so bad!
Old 12-25-2019, 01:46 PM
Keeper

Retired 2 years ago after 40 years of Line work. Wife retired shortly thereafter after 35 plus years of Nursing. Believe you me, there's life after retirement.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:26 PM
Wallhanger

Looking to go next year myself. Many days of second guessing and many days of can’t wait. Just a normal process I guess. 60 years old with 40 1/2 years. Tired of the BS.