Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling motor upgrade - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-28-2021, 07:25 AM
Minnow

Default Trolling motor upgrade

It’s time to upgrade. Currently have minnkota powerguide 60”, 24v, foot pedal on 18’ f&s aluminum boat. Don’t need link to garmin FF, don’t want to move up to 36v. Do want the ‘spot lock’/ anchor lock feature and max thrust available, want user friendly operating. Also, ease of install for diy. Given my current boat cover I will have to continue to remove trolling motor from boat when trailering, Seeing Minnkota,Garmin, Motorguide, models of each are now on sale. Help me narrow it down given my situation...expertise always appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2021, 07:59 AM
Slot Fish

Do you use your foot pedal? I like my motorguide Xi5, but the foot pedal is not great. It works but not ideal. 95% of the time I use the pendent. Spot lock, cruise control, auto pilot all work great. If you prefer foot pedal use, Xi5 is not for you.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:14 AM
Wallhanger

I'd look at a Minn Kota Terrova with a 60" shaft, 80 lbs thrust with i-Pilot. That'd give you spot lock and maximum thrust for 24 volts that Minn Kota offers I believe.
You can get a quick attach mount to easily remove the trolling motor for traveling.
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2021, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
I'd look at a Minn Kota Terrova with a 60" shaft, 80 lbs thrust with i-Pilot. That'd give you spot lock and maximum thrust for 24 volts that Minn Kota offers I believe.
You can get a quick attach mount to easily remove the trolling motor for traveling.

I went from a Powerdrive to a Terrova and my quick release mounting plate fit the new Terrova. I'd guess yours would also, but check it out on the MinnKota website.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 03-01-2021, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

Have you looked at Lowrance Ghost? Has all features, 60in shaft available, and is a 24/36 volt motor. Easily switch between 24 or 36 volts on the foot pedal.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:36 AM
Keeper

Default Terrova

You can get an 80#, 60", 24 volt Terrova for under $1500 if you order it w/o the US2 transducer. They're perfect on an 18' aluminum.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

2nd thumbs up for the Ghost. 96# thrust at 24 volt, brushless motor, super quiet, rock solid Anchor Lock. Available in 47, 52 and 60 inch. I have the 60" bolted to a Motor Guide Quick Release mount, it's rock solid and bolt patterns that match up to both Motor Guide or Minn Kota holes you may already have in your boat. Best TM I've ever had and I've tried em all!!