Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cost to Finish Garage - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2019, 08:06 AM
Keeper

Speaking from experience, if you use your garage for anything other than parking, I would stay away from any sort of texture. That will collect sawdust, or any kind of dust for that matter and will be very difficult to clean. I would rather have smooth walls and ceiling even if it showed some imperfections. The exterior paint idea sounds like a winner to me, at the very least a semi gloss. Good luck!

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfish1 View Post
Speaking from experience, if you use your garage for anything other than parking, I would stay away from any sort of texture. That will collect sawdust, or any kind of dust for that matter and will be very difficult to clean. I would rather have smooth walls and ceiling even if it showed some imperfections. The exterior paint idea sounds like a winner to me, at the very least a semi gloss. Good luck!
As far as the floor, if done properly with the proper coating, even after texturing the surface, it should be smooth and like glass. A lot of those DIY coatings go on way too thin.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
As far as the floor, if done properly with the proper coating, even after texturing the surface, it should be smooth and like glass. A lot of those DIY coatings go on way too thin.
I was referring to the walls, I don't have much experience with epoxy floors.

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
I'll jump in on the painting. My garage has a similar. nearly 12' ceiling height, it was a huge PITA to paint the ceiling off of conventional stepladders. I should have rented a roll-around scaffold to make it easier.

If the $700 includes the walls and ceiling for a 33' x 25' space, I'd pay that in a heartbeat.

HRG
With a roller and extension handle the ceiling is by far the easiest part. And even with walls I would use an extension handle as it's far less fatiguing. Scaffold? No need for it.

I read your post and it reminded me of a friend who I visited and he was in the process of painting his shop with a 15' ceiling height using scaffold. He said he was sore all over and had been at it after work for about a week. He only had about 1/4 of the ceiling done. I asked if he wanted help and the next day I came by with my roller and extensions. I rolled his entire 30' x 36' shop area in 3 hours flat including walls and ceiling. I hardly broke a sweat doing it. When I built my house my brother screwed up my sprayer by not thinning his paint so I just rolled it. Did the whole house with primer in one day, vaulted ceilings and all, not a small house.

I worked for a builder in college and back then we did most everything on a house except concrete, electrical and plumbing/hvac. And we did all the finishing and most of the painting. The only time I use a spray gun is with new construction as there is too much prep work to cover stuff completely. Rolling paint is very easy with a little practice and with an extension handle you just switch hands when one gets tired.

Once you get good at rolling paint you laugh at how easy it is and how quick you can paint a room. The only thing you should frown on doing when it comes to painting is letting any of your friends know that you are good at it. Pretty sure I said this all before on here.