Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dual-Pro Recreation Series - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Keeper

Default Dual-Pro Recreation Series

Anybody got any experience with the dual-pro recreation series?
I'm looking at the 3 bank 6-6-6.
I've heard tons of good reviews about dual-pro in general but wasn't sure if this is a good enough charger
or if I needed to move up to the sportsmen series.
I don't tourny fish so the 10-12 recharge time is fine with me.
Thanks in advance,

FISH HUNTER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

I have heard Dual Pro is a good charger and at 6,6,6 amps it should be fine except for a slightly longer time to charge.

Rebs
Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 AM
Keeper

Thanks rebs.
From looking at the wesite I think the only difference between the different series it the amp size and since I'm ok with a bit longer charge time I should be fine.
Thanks,

FISH HUNTER
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Wallhanger

i just went thru this whole thing with a new charger. The one thing i learned is to get more amps with trolling motor batteries if you want them to charge in a reasonable timeframe. I went with a Guest 10/10 2 bank. 4-6 to charge vs 6-12 with lower amps. I found that 10 amps of charge seems to be perfect. 15-20 amps seemed like too much unless you want your batteries back in 2 hours. 10 was about perfect. I could charge overnight or charge over lunch and may still get a full charge. Also learned that if you are running bigger batteries like TM27 or TM31 higher amps works better.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Wallhanger

One thing to consider is that higher amp charge is harder on the bat. The lower amp charge will prolong bat life over a high amp charger. My take on it is if you never really need your bats charged in a few hours I would go for the cheaper and lower amp charger. In which a 5/6 amp per bank charger will work perfectly. If need fast charge just throw a bat charger on them at a high amp charge for an hour or so...most people already have one and if not can be picked up for well under a 100 bucks.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Wallhanger

The Rec series is a great charger, just as you mentioned lower amps and longer charge time. I've heard from lots of guys who love them, haven't heard from anyone who doesn't like them. The 10-amp Sportsmans series is more popular though ....

Hope that helps.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 AM
Keeper

Thanks Hondo. I actually just ordered the rec from charging chargers last night. I had considerd the sportsman but the price on the rec was really good. I think $149.99 is a great price for a 3 bank and from the reviews I've heard about dual-pro I should be quite happy with it.
Thanks again for the input guys.

FISH HUNTER
Old 04-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Wallhanger

actually, charging at a higher rate lets say anywhere to 15 amps will NOT hurt the battery. Especially with todays chargers. This is a myth. I spoke with a battery engineer about this. i was always under the same impression and he said it's just not true. Batterys will charge the same eitehr fast or slow. What hurts them is overcharging which some chargers do (older models).