Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
LOTW Whitefish Bay/Sabaskong Bay - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Minnow

Default LOTW Whitefish Bay/Sabaskong Bay

I'm heading up to Whitefish Bay the second week in August. This is my first time fishing this area. It seems to have a mixed bag of reports. Some really like it. Some hate it. The hunt for a big fish appeals to me. I'm looking for any tips or advice on the area. Lure choices, structure to look for, maps to get. etc.. Also might try Sabaskong Bay for a day or 2. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
jonnyfish185
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Wallhanger

I can't comment on Whitefish but I would suggest staying on one section (either WF or Sab) rather than going back and forth. Get to know one of the areas and develop a milk run of spots. It may take a full day or more to get something going on one body so don't switch it up. If I had to guess, main lake reefs/island complexes would be the spots to hit on Whitefish that time of year, it's where I'd start on a new body. The larger, more complex probably the better however don't overlook smaller spots as well.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:08 AM
guest1

I've fished Whitefish a few times for musky. Don't expect to put many fish in the boat, but you have a real shot at landing a BIG fish. You're going to have to put the time and effort in but when you see one of the huge pigs WF holds, you will realize it is all worth it. Don't be afraid to fish deeper (reefs that top out at 20-30 feet), hit your typical complex spots, and really focus on hitting prime spots on overcast days. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Whitefish and Sabaskong waters are alike as night and day, I wouldn't count on maybe figuring out a pattern on the one body and expecting a similar scenario on the other. They both are fun to fish, though, just a whole lot different. That said, sometimes when the fish are turned off on one body, they may be hungry on the other.

Bill
Old 07-19-2016, 10:21 AM
Slot Fish

I have fished Whitefish for forty years along with a large contingent of my extended family. The vast majority of our Muskie have been taken around Bell Island. This area has so much structure you could not fish it all in a month. The second week of August I would concentrate on the break line leading to deep water, probably around twenty foot. Good luck
Old 07-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Legendmusky

Default Musky addic

I just got home from Sabaskong bay saw a lot of nice fish, this was my 5th year up there.
We boated a 52 3/4 and 48 1/2 was two biggest few smaller. Mostly a buck tail bite n on rock structure
Raised lots of fish on top water. Never was up there in August but I would start there. The best map you can get is Canada's map of lake Thorn Bros has them. Best lake chip my opinion would be the Lake Insite most hazards are not marked. Good luck
Old 07-24-2016, 09:16 PM
Slot Fish

How was the water clarity compared to past years? Water level?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Slot Fish

sent you a PM SRK-low
Old 07-26-2016, 04:04 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyfish185 View Post
I'm heading up to Whitefish Bay the second week in August. This is my first time fishing this area. It seems to have a mixed bag of reports. Some really like it. Some hate it. The hunt for a big fish appeals to me. I'm looking for any tips or advice on the area. Lure choices, structure to look for, maps to get. etc.. Also might try Sabaskong Bay for a day or 2. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
jonnyfish185
I lived in the Kenora Lake of the Woods area for many years and am familiar with fishing these waters.Whitefish Bay is a good bet for a large trophy fish as the depth of the water is quite deep with fantastic Musky habitat and plenty of forage fish.The very large fish during August can be found in 50+ feet of water where the females will be feeding on Lake Trout,Ciscoes and or Shad.I have caught Muskie at these depths while trolling for Lake Trout on many lakes in the area.However,there are plenty of Muskie to be caught off of the thousands of reefs and rock structures throughout Whitefish Bay.In August I would focus on rock hump and saddle structures adjacent to deep drop offs.I have always had good results with black Suick jerk baits,large plastic Dawgs,Jakes,Top Raiders,Top water baits like the Ramblers and Poe's Jackpot's.Bucktails with large colorado and willow leaf blades can still produce some fish during early August but not as much as during the June and July months.My baits all range in the 8" to 12" for length.

Again,trolling with large Shad or Ciscoe type baits can produce very large fish that are suspended over deeper water off sharp drop offs.I set my baits anywhere from 20' to 50' feet depending on the maximum depth of water I will be fishing over.

I have attached some maps of Whitefish Bay with the red 'X's" indicating where I have had Musky follows,hits or catches over the years and the green lined areas will indicate where I have had luck trolling baits.

Also,White Sucker live rigs can also produce some large fish during this time of year.I usually drift with the rig over deep to shallow areas with the bail open and let the fish grab it with no resistance which allows it to swim with it for a minute or so giving it time to turn it head first into it's mouth before setting the hooks.

Sabaskong Bay on the other hand is a much shallower body of water which I find has good numbers of Muskie but on average are not as large as the ones that roam the waters of Whitefish Bay.

Below are some sites where you can find Nautical/Hydrographic Charts of the area you want to fish.

Fisheries & Oceans Canada-Nautical Charts & Publications:
http://www.charts.gc.ca/charts-cartes/index-eng.asp

Fisheries & Oceans Nautical Chart Dealer Locater:
http://www.charts.gc.ca/dealer-depos...sateur-eng.asp

Lake of the Woods Nautical Chart Index:
http://www.thechandleryonline.com/im...nnipeg%20R.jpg

The Chandlery Marine Supplies:

Chart #6201 Lake of the Woods:http://http://www.thechandleryonline...oducts_id=5219

Chart #6213 Whitefish Bay:
http://www.thechandleryonline.com/pr...oducts_id=5226

Chart #6214 Sabaskong Bay:
http://www.thechandleryonline.com/pr...oducts_id=5227
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.Whitefish Bay .jpg
Views:	745
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	221369   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.Whitefish Bay.jpg
Views:	703