Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
would you buy an American car? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Adam12

Default would you buy an American car?

OK I had to wait for a friend that was running late. I was at a city parking lot and while looking around it occurred to me how rare what I would considered to be an American car were in this parking lot,.(Ford, Chevys,etc) I drove around,..I'm guessing I counted about 200 cars and only about a dozen "American" cars. Now I know that its getting hard to tell an American or a foreign car as things are made alll over,..we have what looks like a large Honda plant that I see on my way to our airport. Maybe its more regional but I see a lot of Hondas, Toyotas, Volvos, BMW's, Nissans etc,..
Did the public get so angry at Detroit (or where ever "American" cars are made today ) That they have almost totally abandoned what I used to think were American cars,..

OK we own 2 Hondas and have owned several over the years that have been great, I also have owned ad currently own a Jeep,..not so good. Years ago a Chevy Camaro and a Pontiac Firebird,..maybe not good choices but got tired of all the $$ fixes.
Years ago new girlfriend then became a wife came with a Honda, slowly I became a fan. Lots of miles with very little problems in very comfortable cars. I admit, I haven't given Fords,Chevys etc a chance in recent years to compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Plenty of American made cars around. They just don't all say Ford, Chevy, Dodge anymore. Most imports you see are made in country these days. There is a big butt plant I drive by in Illinois or Indiana that I think makes Hondas. Mitsi I believe has a big plant in Alabama? If you want to see American, take a trip to Minnesota in the summer and during hunting season. You will be astounded by the numbers of pick-up trucks up here.

In the 70's and 80's there was a big technology & quality gap in favor of the Japanese cars. That gap is gone now.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:30 PM
Minnow

Cadillac car and Chevy truck in the garage. I'm not saying I won't ever but I'll never see 60 again and I haven't yet, so the chances are slimmer every day I'll ever buy a foreign car.

Here's my experience- in the late 80's, I worked for the local Chevy dealer. Late 80's GM cars were not stellar but in retrospect, we didn't know it at the time.

One day we got a new GM brand to sell. Off the truck rolled a Geo Prism. I didn't know it but it was built in California on the same line as Toyota Corolla. I jumped in to park it and was immediately struck by the smoothness of the engine. You couldn't even tell it was running! Such a difference between that and the coarse 2.0 and 2.5L GM engines of the day, it was like night and day. Of course, I was young and had drank the GM kool-aide my whole life so I basically ignored the Geo line and considered anybody who bought one a border-line hippie, or worse.

Now I'm not saying I'll ever own a Toyota Corolla but if the right Avalon or Lexus was to come along when I'm ready to trade, well, who knows what could happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 04:48 AM
Wallhanger

I currently own a 2014 Dodge Durango and a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would no issue buying another of each model. Many of the so called imports have manufacturing plants in the USA. These vehicles are put together from parts made in the USA to the manufactures spec's. These are a list of the plants that I delivered American made parts to. I'm sure there are other plants across the USA. Right now I'm doing some research on the FULL SIZE Nissan Pickup, The pricing is right there with Ford,Gm and Ram. Nissan is offering a Cummins V8 diesel in the XD Pickup.
BMW....South Carolina
Honda....Alabama and Ohio
Mercedes...Alabama
Nissan...Mississippi and Tennessee
Toyota..Kentucky, Indiana and Mississippi
Hyundai...Alabama
Kia...Georiga
Volkswagon...Tennessee
Subaru...Indiana
Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 AM
Minnow

Also the Tundra is made in San Antonio.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 AM
Wallhanger

Personally, I would not own anything but Toyota or Honda for "daily" cars. I spent way too much time in the 90s under my GM cars trying to make them "go" while I was in college and could not afford paying someone else to do so. The bad memories of shady quality are imprinted in my head ... after spending of $1000 and arguing with dealer about sizing calippers on my Olds, I was told I was doing somehting wrong. Sometime later I got $80 as a settlement of class auction lawsuiit w/r bad calippers.

My Highlander is at 120K and I see no reason it could not go for another 100K without issues. I just do breaks and oil changes (well dealer does) ... and recently had new sparks put in ..

Yes, truck market is still "owned" by 1500 and F150 ...

There was time that Japanaesse cars were more common around here ... I see them being pushed out by cheap S. Korean Kias etc with 100K warranties.From what I understand Big Three are doing OK in China....

Last edited by rzep; 09-29-2016 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:16 AM
Wallhanger

I purchased Detroit built vehicles in 70's, 80's 90's and up to and including 2001....In 2007 I purchased my Toyota Tundra and 2009 I purchased the wife a Honda Civic. I will NEVER look back or go back to any Detroit vehicle again. Both of these Japaneses vehicles have been trouble free since we got them. Never had that experience with Detroit built vehicles.

This only proves I'm a slow learner..........
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-29-2016, 05:59 AM
Wallhanger

In today's FISHWRAP, a local dealer has 2016 Nissan Titan SV Crew Diesels for $34,544, not a bad price at all! After we are done with our NEW kitchen, I'm going to look hard at one of these, to replace the 2005 Jeep.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin10 View Post
In today's FISHWRAP, a local dealer has 2016 Nissan Titan SV Crew Diesels for $34,544, not a bad price at all! After we are done with our NEW kitchen, I'm going to look hard at one of these, to replace the 2005 Jeep.
Years ago I read that Chrysler was going to make the Titan for Nissan but then the economy went into the dumper and I then heard that program was put on hold. Is Nissan still making their trucks or is Chrysler producing some or all of the Titan ?
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-29-2016, 06:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Years ago I read that Chrysler was going to make the Titan for Nissan but then the economy went into the dumper and I then heard that program was put on hold. Is Nissan still making their trucks or is Chrysler producing some or all of the Titan ?
100% made in Canton Mississippi, just north of Jackson MS on I55, Gas engine made in TN,Diesel made in IN.