Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
new knee procedure - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2021, 12:37 PM
holliswuzamember

Default new knee procedure

okay, I see the interest here in knee procedures and I don't want to stomp on anybody's decision who has recently had it done ,but potentially for others, I want to alert you to a relatively new technique concerning arthritic knees.

I know two recently retired orthopedists who smile at the term bone-on-bone. They say that it's a buzzword to convince someone to be operated on. That they see x-rays that look like bone-on-bone and the person has little or no real symptoms and that may also go on for many years like this. They also have said that they see what looks like good x-rays but the person is in constant pain. This is because of inflammation

So what is this procedure? I'll try to post a link that's on youtube and hope it will be allowed. It's just one link of a number of the same on there by some very qualified medical doctors.

It's been around for about eight years in Japan where it started, in a little less than that here as Drs here originally trained there.

. Probably the number one thing to remember is NOT to ask an orthopedist about it as it's not done by them and they are in competition with this. They also have had no experience with it. It is done by interventional radiologists. It takes about an hour to an hour and 1/2 and you can generally walk home afterward. The success rate is very comparable to a totally knee replacement. It cost a fraction of the amount and most insurance companies are glad to pay it (about 1,500 vs 55,000. and up plus the PT afterwards. There is very little physical therapy afterward in this procedure..

And even if for the relatively few it might not work for,.... it doesn't prevent you from doing other procedures.

The link I'm going to try to provide is a pretty good explanation of it, however if it doesn't get posted ,..you can go to YouTube and put in the search bar,..'GENICULAR ARTERY EMBOLISM' and there are about 30 Drs talking about it.

Hope you find it interesting,..

In my area I find 4 clinics now doing it within a 2 hour drive,not sure they are the only ones,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsTyL9s7Hmc&t=28s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2021, 02:55 PM
holliswuzamember

Default another link

Covering somewhat the same and somewhat different information from a different clinic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4lOcDWtO18
Old 11-14-2021, 05:49 AM
Wallhanger

Is this procedure an option for shoulders? I have constant pain and would hate to be laid up 6 months to get 2 shoulders worked on with the hope of being fixed. My health is not compromised with the exception of high BP which is under control with meds. At my age I don't knpw how many 6 months I have.
Have a great day.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2021, 06:58 AM
holliswuzamember

Talking

If you listen to the first link,...the Dr there mentions that at UCLA is working on research on this. I don't know how far along they are with it,or if its now available there or elsewhere ,. Perhaps you can contact them regarding this.
I have the same problem, if you find answers perhaps you can let us know.

I HAVE done something that seems to have helped me,..I take ASTAXANTHIN,.and something called C60 .together and after about 2 months, my shoulders are about 85% better, than they have in years.I also Made a change in FOOD,..Moroccan olive oil,.. I get the Desert Miracle brand that is on Amazon. Again for that,.. just a change in food, replacing any other oil for salads, cooking,etc. interesting video on their site of why it also suppresses inflammation,.
I don't know if these will work for anyone else,..but they might be worth a 2 month trial. BTW I have no way to profit from these things. Its just some things I have researched and feel they have great potential to suppress inflammation in a unique way.

As a TEST, I would say if you can take NSAIDS (Like ibuprofen or naproxin) for 2days as directed w/o negative reaction and it helps,..that's a good test to see if inflammation is a big factor. and astaxanthin and C60 should help,... if you can take the NSAIDS (for a couple of days,..(MOST people can without reactions) but some are sensitive and shouldn't take them , and they are contraindicated with certain meds such as some High blood pressure meds,.and with other medications that they take, and people can have GI problems with them, Any question , ask your Dr, With taking NSAIDS. It takes a couple of days for them to reduce some inflammation. Again, Any question about taking NSAIDS check with your Dr.

But check on Youtube for lectures on both astaxanthin and C60 (make sure you listen to people with good credentials,.as well as peoples on Amazon that have actually used these.

Hope you find something that works for you, Chronic shoulder pain can really impact your life and activity,..Take the time and effort to keep learning.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:33 PM
Mark299

Amazing! I certainly would try this before major surgery.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:18 PM
Wallhanger

Wonder if insurance would cover it.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:42 PM
holliswuzamember

From the original post:

"It cost a fraction of the amount and most insurance companies are glad to pay it (about 1,500 vs 55,000. and up plus the PT afterwards. There is very little physical therapy afterward in this procedure."

It takes 1-2 hours,..be sure to look listen to the two links,..it should answer most of your questions,..
Old 11-14-2021, 07:35 PM
holliswuzamember

Oh,...I see you just had the big procedure done,wishing the very best for you and a quick recovery,..as others have said, be sure to do your PT,..it seems to make a big difference,.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

Yes sir I am keeping up with the PT. I’ve already had invasive surgery on both knees (partial replacements years ago that failed - miserably). I was intrigued by this new procedure as it may be a possibility for my other knee in the future.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:37 AM
holliswuzamember

Derwood:

Here is ONE site that talks about it,..there are others that you might consult,..I don't know if you would be a candidate but they could advise you,

https://www.nycsurgical.net/genicula...-embolization/