Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Confession of a spot namer - newest post is up - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 12-29-2020, 04:16 PM
Keeper

Default Confession of a spot namer - newest post is up

Took a wee bit of a holiday break but newest post is up

It's a confession of sorts - I love a good fishing spot nick name.

I was born the son of a spot namer and my Mom's Dad was also a prolific spot namer

Post covers my lineage and some of my favorites from the Kawarthas to Sioux Lookout and even includes a video of a bear lol

I am guessing others on this board have some great names or memorable spots as well - love to hear them

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/great-spots

Cheers and thanks for reading

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2020, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

My best is “The Grassy Knoll”. It’s a spot on St Joe that has produced many fish for us over the years. The Grassy Knoll is a spot with about a dozen blades of grass out in the middle of nowhere. Some years the rocks around it are visible and some years they’re not, but the grass is always there, hence the name. I’ve got it marked on gps now, but even with that I have to drive by several times to spot the grass in high water years when the rocks aren’t visible. It’s near the end of a point with drop-offs on two sides.

“Three Sisters” for a string of three rock islands is probably a common name in many lakes.

“The Three Stooges” was a rock pile found in a high water year when only three rocks were visible. The smallest rock at the end was “Tail-end Charlie”. Since then it’s just a big rock pile in lower water years. The name remains but we don’t go back much since the fishing has never been as good as the year we found it and it tends to produce a lot of northern bite-offs.

My fishing partner has a rock off shore, some years visible, other years not, that we call “Curly”. Why, I have no idea, but when he refers to it I know the rock he’s talking about.

“The Shoreline”. How’s that for original? But for our group it refers to a specific stretch of shoreline and everyone knows where you mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F6F6818-9000-4024-B739-C1D11E581741.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	323198  
Old 12-30-2020, 05:48 AM
Wallhanger

Default naming fishing spots

My group of 3 has gone "one step further"
As we have fished Lac Seul over the years - we of course would try different spots - If one of us suggested an island to try AND we had good luck there - we named that island for the guy who suggested it...................

And - FYI - we DID have more than 3 "named" islands".....

Last edited by tv4fish; 12-30-2020 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2020, 06:13 AM
Wallhanger

Good topic to start Gordy28. My 3 buddies and I have done the same over the last 30 years with deer hunting. I will start another thread some day as I don't want to rob your post.
One well named area we fish in the shipping channel in Lake St Clair is the "dumping grounds", another is "the hump.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:08 AM
Wallhanger

Default rocks and trees

Most of our spots include the words rock and tree. "The Double Tree" You know, by the round rock on the south end. "The Crooked Tree" You get the idea.

Fish On

Hooks
Old 12-30-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Sweatshirt Bay

One of ,if not my favorite nick name happened in 2014 . My group was fishing at Kearns Lake, half way between Thunder Bay and Armstrong. This was my Sister's first Fly-In Trip and I wanted her to have Fun and Catch a lot of Fish. She had a Great Time and on the second to the last day we were fishing a long bay after dinner. We had lots of success in this bay on this day due to it being a later ice out and this bay was several degrees warmer than the rest of the lake. This bay was very shallow 2 to 4 feet at most. Anyway my Sister set the hook on a fish and her rod bent over in half She fought the fish, we thought it was a large pike as we had caught a number this trip, and she had 2 over 40 inches so far. She brought the fish into the boat ,it was about an 18 in walleye hooked in the upper lip, but what was interesting was the huge glob of mud attached to the lower lip of the walleye. I grabbed the fish and proceeded to dunk it up and down in the water getting rid of the mud. Then found a large sweatshirt attached, it turned out to be a size XXXL Green Bay Packer Sweatshirt, which was appropriate since my Sister is a rabid Packer fan We ended up that day catching over 200 fish out of Sweatshirt bay that day

To make a long story short Our group leader, phishfearme Named the the Bay Sweatshirt bay in Honor of my Sister's Catch. We wrote it on the Camp Map to forever be named as such
Old 12-30-2020, 11:01 AM
Wallhanger

Greta idea for a thread...

Let's see... On Lac Seul somewhere, There's Caribou point, for the root ball washed up on shore that looks like a caribou rack from a distance
there's "Fort Knox" our usual after lunch spot, because that's where the "gold" is,
There's the "Over 21 club" because we've never caught small walleyes there,
There's "Dad's spot", the first place my Dad caught a big walleye on a rod I built for him,
There's "frypan beach" for the old skillet we found that somebody left on a rock on shore,
There's "Suzuki Reef", AKA Spider rock" where a friend left an almost entire lower unit,
"The Kitchen", a pre-lunch spot that's always good for some last minute eaters,
"Hal Alley", so named by a friend who's boat partner picked the spot to fish,
"Karm's spot", a little point with current running past it that is a traditional first afternoon spot, just to take the edge off.
"Knucklehead reef" after the friends that got hung up on top of it not paying attention
"Trapper's cabin" after a rotting cabin we found on a nearby island
Old 12-30-2020, 11:01 AM
Keeper

Some great stuff. Love the grassy knoll and the picture is perfect!
We have a hump as well from a trip to Shekak Lake but that spot was such a big part of the trip I think it will get its own post lol
Love the Green Bay sweater story and that the spot is now infamous
HeHooks I think many spots end up being named around rocks etc. It's where walleyes live lol. Years ago on a fly in to Miminiska Lake when I was chatting w the dock guys about where to fish he basically said if you see a rock or a white bouy marking a rock start there and it was so true. Cheers
Andrew
Old 12-30-2020, 01:22 PM
Keeper

IN NW Ontario on the lake I most often fish is a landmark for me--three pine trees a tall one in the middle and two shorter ones on each side----I named it Jesus and the Two Thieves...................
Old 12-30-2020, 01:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoeguy View Post
My best is “The Grassy Knoll”. It’s a spot on St Joe that has produced many fish for us over the years. The Grassy Knoll is a spot with about a dozen blades of grass out in the middle of nowhere
We have a spot identical to The Grassy Knoll. We call it Tiffany's Patch.