Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
In Line Planer Boards vs. Large Planer Boards - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-30-2020, 10:07 AM
Keeper

The deciding factor for inlines vs big boards usually comes down to how many rods you plan on running. 3 or less per side, run inlines. More than three, big boards. That and how experienced are those fishing with you. Big boards are easier for those who fish once in a while. Inlines take a little practice.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2020, 10:16 AM
Keeper

Default Thanks Itrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
I think the general consensus is that inline boards have a higher hookup ratio than the big boards.
Funny that you mention fighting the board with inlines, that's why i was gunshy at first with them. Then i found Sidewinder boards, added an offshore clip, and I've been loving it ever since. Sidewinders release and slide down your line so you never fight or take off the board, your line actually runs through the middle of it.

I like the idea of the Sidewinders with the modification, will give them a try. Somebody told me that if you use braid with the Sidewinders it cuts into the plastic on the board. Do you use braid and if so have you had any problems with the braid cutting into the board?

I have a couple of buddies that want to start using boards but really don’t want to mount a mast and lug around the big boards, and don’t like the idea of fighting a board, so I am going to suggest the Sidewinders with the modification.

Thanks,
Don
Old 11-30-2020, 10:20 AM
Keeper

Default Follow-Up to Yellow Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
How big is your boat? I have tried the big board set up on a smaller boat and it isn't the best because of the tow pull. The smaller boards are great for smaller rigs in my opinion ( and you asked) I also think the hookup ratio is better on the smaller boards. I see many of the charter boats on Quinte with the masts but using the in-line boards
I have a Mako 234 Express, walk around with a hard top, so plenty of room on the boat for the boards plus I mount the planer board reels to the pipes holding up the hardtop. I can see how the big boards on a smaller boat can be a hassle.

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2020, 10:37 AM
Keeper

Default Response to Misdirection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
The deciding factor for inlines vs big boards usually comes down to how many rods you plan on running. 3 or less per side, run inlines. More than three, big boards. That and how experienced are those fishing with you. Big boards are easier for those who fish once in a while. Inlines take a little practice.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Agree, running big boards is great for inexperienced guys and even some of the older guys who fish with me quite often. One of the real joys of fishing with these guys is what I call "Organized Chaos", happens when we get more than one fish on at a time. Usually hear something like "I can't get the fish out of the net to net yours" and of course I always respond with "that's why there's more than one net on the boat". It's always a hoot.

Don
Old 11-30-2020, 11:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscs View Post
I like the idea of the Sidewinders with the modification, will give them a try. Somebody told me that if you use braid with the Sidewinders it cuts into the plastic on the board. Do you use braid and if so have you had any problems with the braid cutting into the board?

I have a couple of buddies that want to start using boards but really don’t want to mount a mast and lug around the big boards, and don’t like the idea of fighting a board, so I am going to suggest the Sidewinders with the modification.

Thanks,
Don
I started out with braid . It cuts into the big water bill- I put a bead in front of the bill to counter act that. But the real problem is the braid just slips out of the release- alot, especially in waves = not good.
I switched to mono and never had a problem since.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 11-30-2020, 03:55 PM
Wallhanger

Beside I would never have room for big boards most of my board fishing is following shorelines. A big board does not work well for this type of presentation.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscs View Post
Agree, running big boards is great for inexperienced guys and even some of the older guys who fish with me quite often. One of the real joys of fishing with these guys is what I call "Organized Chaos", happens when we get more than one fish on at a time. Usually hear something like "I can't get the fish out of the net to net yours" and of course I always respond with "that's why there's more than one net on the boat". It's always a hoot.

Don
I love those chaotic moments !
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 12-01-2020, 09:29 AM
Keeper

I use to run inline planer boards and now switched over to big boards. I like not having to unsnap the inline planer board while fighting a fish. The drawback is the storage of the big boards. I take my big boards a part and they fit in my floor storage when not in use. My planer mast is mounted on a track system so I can remove the mast when I'm not planning on using it as well if I were to fish the ocean or delta.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Elite FS