Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Question for European travelers - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 09:31 AM
Keeper

Question Question for European travelers

I have a niece who is going to Europe in the next school year . I know they use 220v instead of 110 like here in the U.S. Any recommendations on a step down transformer and receptacle adapter ?
Hopefully a kit so everything is together. She will be traveling to Spain, France and Germany if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Both of my kids have done this, one thing to look at is if she is bringing a laptop along, what incoming voltage does it work on? Many are capable of running on 110 to 240V, so only a plug adapter is needed, not a transformer.

HRG
Old 06-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Keeper

Been to Europe a lot - just assure your power block to what ever device (laptop, phone, fitbit,...) is to be run can handle 110-240 and all you need are the different plugs for each country. They sell these adapters in most airports and if time permits order a universal one on line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Keeper

Default Adapters / Converters

I did a google search and there a lot of brands and types but looking at reviews there is no clear cut favorite. I just wonder if some are more reliable than others. Plenty of time to order one . Thanks
Old 06-20-2018, 11:18 AM
Wallhanger

Many countries have their electrical plugs decorated differently so pick up a world adapter kit
Old 06-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Wallhanger

My son just returned from Italy last month after a semester. He has an adapter with different plugs for different counties. Picked it up from Office max. No problems with the higher voltage where he was. Italy and spring break in Germany
Old 06-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Both of my kids have done this, one thing to look at is if she is bringing a laptop along, what incoming voltage does it work on? Many are capable of running on 110 to 240V, so only a plug adapter is needed, not a transformer.

HRG
Same is true for a lot of plug-in USB power sources. Keeping a laptop and cell phone charged in Europe, Australia and India never required me to have a voltage adapter, just a plug adapter and those are cheap.

There is often (not always) a wall power socket provided by the hotel specifically for an electric razor and sometimes those offer 110 VAC. Norelco electric razors usually will run on either 110 or 240 without modification or adapters. Same is true for many travel hair dryers. Every electrical device has a label that specifies the acceptable input AC voltage range and frequency. For use in both North America and Europe, you want to see 110-240 VAC at 50-60 Hz.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Keeper

If she is bringing her US hair dryer or curling iron she will need a transformer and adapter. For a whole year, I'd suggest she buy a dryer or iron there, they are relatively cheap. If only a laptop or phone, an adapter is all she will need, almost all use both voltages. Amazon has them, Magellan also. I'd get a couple, she may lose one.