Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Thinking of a new Foam mattress... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

I really don't understand the rationale to put anything under a mattress except for a platform.

When we bought our very first bed a long time ago, I purchased a platform for the frame and put a new mattress on top of the platform.

About every 10 years, he have replaced the mattress and moved on.

As far as I am concerned, about the only thing that a box spring does is to sag. With today's mattresses that are nearly 20 inched thick, I can't imagine why anyone would want or need anything more.

Having said that I do like the foam mattresses of today. They are much improved from former years and give excellent support and overall sleeping support.

Be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2018, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Also, don't overlook the possible ownership of a sleep number air bed.

These beds are also widely received and do provide a great nights sleep with the ability to regulate the degree of support by simply touching a switch.

---------------
Also, the Comfort Select memory foam bed is a great bed for some very happy folks:

https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Selec.../dp/B00739N3VY

Be safe
Old 08-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Keeper

We had a sleep number and both my wife and I hated it. Inlaws tried it as well and weren't impressed either.

A little over a year ago we bought a novaform comfort grande foam mattress from costco. Very happy with it. I do not find it to be overly hot. Took a few weeks to get used to it but now it's wonderful.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

https://bestmattressonline.org/top10...388dbc3b9ef982
Old 08-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Slot Fish

Wifey and I just replaced our inner spring pillow top with a Tempurpedic about 10 days ago. Haven't noticed any "off-gassing" (from the mattress anyway ;-)) or sleeping "hot" but it does seem pretty darn stiff when it's supposed to be of the "soft" variety. I've read where the break-in can take up to 30 days. I feel like maybe it's softer today than it was when we got it?

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2018, 04:24 PM
Keeper

I hate with a passion our tempurpedic foam mattress. It starts out cold, and gets hotter all night long. By two AM, I’m sweating my balls off. Plus, you melt your way into the mattress until your sleeping in a hole.

I love a good hotel mattress. Sleep like a baby.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Keeper

Tempurpedic was the best investment we ever made. We have had it for 12 years. I have gone from having sever back pains from sports through college to not complaining about my back at all. It did take at least a month for us to get used to it, but couldn't imagine ever getting a conventional mattress.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Wallhanger

Are any of you that have the foam mattress's a manly size?

I've been giving one a thought, but I'm far from a lightweight.

I've been wondering about the box spring also.

Al
Old 08-06-2018, 05:28 PM
Wallhanger

We went through two Tempurpedic Mattresses. Terrapins description is spot! They were the pillow top model. First one lasted several years and failed. We warrantied it and the second one lasted less than a year. The heat retention was unbelievable. Moved to a Caspar two years ago and it is fabulous. The new wave of $800 - $1000 dollar on line order foam mattresses are impressive and pretty much the same. The biggest item that I would look for in them would be the firmness. I am looking to outfit each of my kids with a Casper in the next couple of years. Joe
Old 08-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Wallhanger

Allen, We do not have the box spring. Makes you really high off the ground. Wife looked at me and told me to go a sheet of plywood and that is what our mattress sits on. Joe