Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
1999 Johnson 90 hp. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Keeper

Default 1999 Johnson 90 hp.

Fellow Johnson Owners< I have had a 1999 Johnson 90 hp. on my Lowe 179 GLS boat since I purchased it in 2001. I had the 4 carbs rebuilt a few years ago and use nothing but Non-ethanol fuel with Seafoam. My starting procedures are as follows: Turn key to right until starter kicks in and then I push key in for the choke to work. Engine turns and turns but doesn't start. After several times it might fire up with a big smoke cloud, getting oil. WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY TO START THIS MOTOR? I guess I'm looking for the correct way to use the key/choke. Any help is deeply appreciated. Thank You All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 03:13 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldman View Post
Fellow Johnson Owners< I have had a 1999 Johnson 90 hp. on my Lowe 179 GLS boat since I purchased it in 2001. I had the 4 carbs rebuilt a few years ago and use nothing but Non-ethanol fuel with Seafoam. My starting procedures are as follows: Turn key to right until starter kicks in and then I push key in for the choke to work. Engine turns and turns but doesn't start. After several times it might fire up with a big smoke cloud, getting oil. WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY TO START THIS MOTOR? I guess I'm looking for the correct way to use the key/choke. Any help is deeply appreciated. Thank You All
If that outboard is similar to my '85 Johnson VRO there is no choke via the key but instead it's a primer to start the outboard........

I would put the throttle all the way up and turn the key while pushing it in 3-4 times very quickly. Once it started I would pull back on the throttle so it's only 1/4 throttle or so.

If you take the cover off you can manually choke the engine.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Wallhanger

I have a 1999 115 version.

First start of the season:
Squeeze the primer bulb on the fuel line until it is rock hard.
Turn key and press in at the same time, crank engine for a couple of seconds. Usually will not fire.
Squeeze primer bulb again until hard, it will have "softened", sometimes a lot.
Retry starting and choking. Recheck primer bulb once or twice.
Eventually it will fire. Probably will not run, or die pretty quickly. Recheck primer bulb.
Each subsequent restart with choke will result in longer runs. Give it a few pumps on the key for choking when it seems to be thinking of dying (or a squeeze of the primer bulb, if closer to the engine than the key when it starts slowing down).
You may begin to wonder about how many starts your battery is capable of. I almost always have someone inquire as to whether I need help or not, at this point.
Eventually it will seem to hold an idle. Don't trust it - wait until it is fully warmed up. Test by disengaging prop, and advancing throttle to about 1/2 speed. It may kill on you a couple of times when doing this test. Once it runs at higher rpm, and transitions well, you're good to go. And you've killed every flying insect within 10 miles of the lake. And now you also know your starting battery is in prime condition.
(note: I've found that prolonged cranking, whether choking or not, seems to have no effect. Key turns (with or without choking) are for 2-4 seconds)

Subsequent starts:
During the fishing day - almost always starts immediately, no choke needed.
After sitting all night - turn key and choke. Probably will not start. Repeat, and it fires right up.
After multiple days - the longer since the last run, the closer it edges to the "first start of the season procedure".

I blame most of it on a bit of air seeping into the fuel lines as it sits, as well as all the fogging oil present on the first starts of the year, carbs that dry out a bit, etc.

Last edited by GBS; 06-11-2019 at 06:50 AM.