Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
NW Angle by Boat? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Minnow

Default NW Angle by Boat?

Greetings,

Am considering a trip to the Angle for mid-June, and am reading up on the proposition. I understand the "over-land" route can be time-consuming, and hard on the finish of a truck and/or boat.

l know a boat trip is about 25 miles one-way. I downsized to a 165 Classic CS with a 70 hp 4-stroke last year. With gear and one other fisherman, I could travel 25+ mph in reasonable water. Wind and waves would certainly change the rate of travel/speed. If the winds are predominantly out of the west, there's probably some relief from the western shore of LOTW.

Water travel would also avoid the customs hassle.

Does anyone have any experience with the water route . . . like "not bad" or "avoid at all costs"?

I don't throw for muskies as much anymore . . . now that I'm older. We'd probably fish for walleyes and smallies most of the time, but would allocate parts of most days to muskies.

Is the Canadian muskie opener productive . . . assuming "normal" weather this spring??

Thanks in advance for any insights you share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018, 04:54 AM
Keeper

I have done this many times, but I live on the lake and can go/No go based on the weather. Avoid at all costs if planning to do this on a specific day. If you can pick your days, very doable.

It is closer to 35 miles from Warroad.

I trailer my boat up 95% of the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

sic transit gloria mundi
Old 03-05-2018, 07:14 PM
Minnow

Default Angle by boat.

Thanks fishing frenzy! I appreciate your perspective.

I also like your SCSU avatar! I'm an alumnus . . . happen to work in St. Cloud right now!

--Mike

Last edited by musky_guy; 03-05-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

I know a few guys that park in Morson Ontario and drive from there to the angle. Seems like a long drive, but keeps you off gravel roads, and is much more wind protected than the Warroad route.

Either way... you're better staying in Canada!
Old 03-06-2018, 05:42 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by musky_guy View Post
Thanks fishing frenzy! I appreciate your perspective.

I also like your SCSU avatar! I'm an alumnus . . . happen to work in St. Cloud right now!

--Mike
Nice! Hope you are able to go to the games this weekend - let me know if you swing through Warroad.

sic transit gloria mundi
Old 03-06-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Keep in mind that you'll also have to boat back later on. Once you get up there, the options on which time you can return back to the landing get pretty limited.

Bill
Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Minnow

Default Angle by boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfrenzy View Post
Nice! Hope you are able to go to the games this weekend - let me know if you swing through Warroad.

Yessir . . . . boys high school basketball with family. My brother is the AD in Buffalo, and their team advanced to Halenbeck Hall for a Saturday game.

Will holler if ever bound for Warroad.

--Mike
Old 03-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Keep in mind that you'll also have to boat back later on. Once you get up there, the options on which time you can return back to the landing get pretty limited.

Bill
Good point. Based on all the feedback, I'm thinking that boating across LOTW isn't the best idea.

:-)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:34 AM
Minnow

Default LOTW suggestion

Hey, just read your post. If your looking for a good drive/boat to place on LOTW look at Tamarack Island Wilderness Lodge. It's a boat to camp out of Morson Ont so you don't have that "angle drive" to contend with. Paved roads all the way from the boarder to Morson. It's then a 20/30 minute boat ride from the marina to the island. The camp itself is awesome, great cabins, 24 hour electric (sometimes island camps don't give you that) new pier that's all wired, you pull to the dock plug, simple. Most importantly the fishing is second to none. I fished eagle for years until a buddy invited me on a trip to LOTW, never been back to eagle since. Musky fishing is fantastic, and the walleye and small mouth is the best I've ever had.
Todd the camp owner is a great guy, he has really cares and does everything he can to make your trip great. I've been going up there for years and have never been dissatisfied! Check them out.

Last edited by cnsrtv308; 03-07-2018 at 05:35 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 03-07-2018, 05:38 AM
Keeper

I have voted a crossed many times but Mike said in an earlier post you can be limited on when you have to come back the weather obviously plays a huge role if you’re on an absolute schedule I would definitely drive I have been caught more than once

Tags
angle