Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Had a little fun off my dock on Lake Vermilion the other night. - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2021, 02:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
First the "small lake" I am referring to is 140 acres and reaches 65' deep, not exactly a pond for experimenting. There are 28 cabins on the lake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronomist_at_ia View Post
140aces isn’t really what I’d call a lake more a small pond...
Actually, one of my wife's favorite bodies of water in the world is Jabe Pond in the Adirondacks: 146 acres, 66 feet.

And actually, it's absolutely ridiculous that they call it a pond. It's a lake!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
First the "small lake" I am referring to is 140 acres and reaches 65' deep, not exactly a pond for experimenting. There are 28 cabins on the lake.
Quote:
140aces isn’t really what I’d call a lake more a small pond...
Actually, one of my wife's favorite bodies of water in the world is Jabe Pond in the Adirondacks: 146 acres, 66 feet.

And actually, it's absolutely ridiculous that they call it a pond. It's a lake! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif[/IMG]

Gerry
I agree !
Old 06-13-2021, 04:36 PM
Wallhanger

"Who eats them"?

Same people who eat northerns, at least they did before making them keepable was impossible.

Years back I had several chances to eat them, nothing wrong with them, they tasted very good.
People pickled them also.

Al
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2021, 07:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulski67 View Post
Against my better judgment, here you go

https://www.outdoorsfirst.com/muskie...t-muskies-eat/

Paulski
Lol. I’ve seen walleyes get eaten at least 10 times by muskies.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:43 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallychowder View Post
Quote:
[quote/]
140aces isn’t really what I’d call a lake more a small pond. I’d have the DNR look at it and see what they think.
LOL. 140 acre.......is a small pond ?.....you been around the IGL's to much....LOL.
Sorry I meant to say a large pond. Not a small pond.

140 acres isn’t that large. 640acres is a section. 1mile x 1mile. 320acres half section and 160acres is a 1/4 section.

There is nothing scientific that determines a pond or a lake…For me I kinda put that 300ish acres has a measure for a lake. Anything smaller I consider a pond.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
"Who eats them"?

Same people who eat northerns, at least they did before making them keepable was impossible.

Years back I had several chances to eat them, nothing wrong with them, they tasted very good.
People pickled them also.

Al
Hahaha......yes people may eat northern and musky, I meant who in the fish world.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:02 AM
Wallhanger

Ooh, nice job guys! You brought up a pet peeve I have with New Englanders and now I get to rant!

A pond is a permanent small body of shallow water naturally occurring due to rising shoreline or created by anthropogenic activities. If it dries out without enough rain it isn't a pond. If it was naturally occurring and now has a dam on it, it's a pond. It might be a great big pond and we call it a lake but it's a pond. This includes a huge numbers of very large Canadian *lakes*, the majority of large Southern US lakes and poor Lake Ontario (Easterners will pond anything).

New Englanders hardly have any lakes but they have lots of ponds. They feel inadequate about that and try to compare their ponds favorably and snobbishly to natural lakes. Ponds are ok, some of them have really good fishing and many are beautiful to look at, just like golf course water hazards. But for those who are familiar with real lakes the differences are obvious. A good comparison is the difference between stocked and wild fish. Out East they catch mostly stocked trout and have no idea how much harder wild fish are to fool, how much harder they fight and how much better they taste. I don't blame them for loving the area they're from. Heck, they even have some stuff that most of the upper Midwest doesn't have. It's fine to be proud of that. But don't try to compare your hydrological hellscape with the wonders of the upper Midwest. We're different up here. Not better, different. It's what I've grown up with, what I know, what I love and what I wouldn't leave. The NE, South, and West all have their virtues I suppose. Others love their regions despite their massive glaring inadequacy and I get that. But please, don't try to make the reason your area is practically uninhabitable one of its virtues. Kinda sad that you do.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
Ooh, nice job guys! You brought up a pet peeve I have with New Englanders and now I get to rant!

A pond is a permanent small body of shallow water naturally occurring due to rising shoreline or created by anthropogenic activities. If it dries out without enough rain it isn't a pond. If it was naturally occurring and now has a dam on it, it's a pond. It might be a great big pond and we call it a lake but it's a pond. This includes a huge numbers of very large Canadian *lakes*, the majority of large Southern US lakes and poor Lake Ontario (Easterners will pond anything).

New Englanders hardly have any lakes but they have lots of ponds. They feel inadequate about that and try to compare their ponds favorably and snobbishly to natural lakes. Ponds are ok, some of them have really good fishing and many are beautiful to look at, just like golf course water hazards. But for those who are familiar with real lakes the differences are obvious. A good comparison is the difference between stocked and wild fish. Out East they catch mostly stocked trout and have no idea how much harder wild fish are to fool, how much harder they fight and how much better they taste. I don't blame them for loving the area they're from. Heck, they even have some stuff that most of the upper Midwest doesn't have. It's fine to be proud of that. But don't try to compare your hydrological hellscape with the wonders of the upper Midwest. We're different up here. Not better, different. It's what I've grown up with, what I know, what I love and what I wouldn't leave. The NE, South, and West all have their virtues I suppose. Others love their regions despite their massive glaring inadequacy and I get that. But please, don't try to make the reason your area is practically uninhabitable one of its virtues. Kinda sad that you do.
That must mean Lac Suel is a pond, because it was formed as it is by a dam in Ear Falls? Even tho during the rising water levels to achieve its current height it swallowed up numerous small "lakes" to crate what it is today? Or is it an impoundment, reservoir or flowage, personally I don't care.
Not arguing with you because your definition is correct.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
Lol. I’ve seen walleyes get eaten at least 10 times by muskies.
Let me guess, you were reeling in the walleyes at the time and the Muskies determined that they would take this opportunity to get a free lunch. If you have fished the Canadian shield lakes enough yes this will happen. They are opportunists and take advantage of these types of situations.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:22 AM
Minnow

Wow, that's a tenacious muskie. Reminds me of an experience I had with a Barracuda that cut my snapper in half just before I pulled it out of the water in western Florida. I literally just got the front end of the snapper, the back end was gone.