Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Finishing The Retrieve? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 08-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Keeper

Default Finishing The Retrieve?

So our lab/golden pup brings back the retrieve dummy sometimes all the way to your hand, other times to within 5-10 feet of where you stand. Any thoughts or recommendations on how to get her to finish off the retrieve? To hold it that last 5-10 feet and always drop it in your hand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2016, 09:12 PM
Wallhanger

First off, never let the dog do any retrieving without a check cord. This way you can always make sure the pup brings it all the way back. Depending on how old pup is, some things take a little time to register. You also need to encourage pup to come to you with the dummy. Lots of hype and coaxing, with some moving backward. When you move away from pup excitedly, pup naturally wants to check out what is going on. Obedience and leash training are a constant for most of the first year. Keep training sessions short. No more than 15 minutes otherwise pup's attention is gone. Sessions can get longer as pup ages, but the first few months need to be kept short. Always keep every session positive. When you get frustrated you must quit. If you're frustrated, pup will be more confused. A happy pup is a learning pup.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Keeper

Thanks! We've been keeping our sessions short so as to keep it fun & keep her wanting more. Giving our dog/pup lots of praise & excitement with each retrieve. Maybe I'm making a mistake, but I'm also giving her treats on each retrieve. Maybe that's contributing to her dropping the dummy early? Cause she wants the treat?

I'll include the suggestions you made in our sessions. If there's a good online tutorial or book that could help, I'd appreciate that info as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 06:16 AM
Wallhanger

If you continue a session until you see a lack of interest the session is too long. A session could consist of one retrieve. With my dog the first time I see her look around or sniff something else on a retrieve we play, roll around, get really excited and its over. Start again later but ALWAYS end on an excited fun note. Remember dogs do not have reasoning power, they only know how you make them feel. You are the leader of the pack.