Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ice Safety Picks - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 01-21-2019, 07:41 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ice Safety Picks

OK, stupid question, just getting back on the ice after a 20 year hiatus. I got some of these Clam floating ice picks for Christmas, I thought you were supposed to wear these around your neck and keep the picks safely stored in the opposite pick handle.
Problem, coiled cord is a little on the short side for going around the neck if you’re wearing any kind of hood, plus, the picks don’t want to stay in the storage hole of opposite handle, because it’s too loose.
On Clams web site, all they say is they will fit in an upper pocket on the Clam coat.
Where do you guys put your picks, around the neck or in a pocket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 08:15 PM
Wallhanger

I have an upper pocket in my ice gear that they go in when I remember. Unfortunately they are hanging around the rear view mirror in my truck most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

I've stored the picks in both places. I used to put them in the upper left jacket pocket. After I saw another guy with them around his neck I started doing that. It looks like they'd be easier to get at around the neck. Thankfully, I've never had to test the theory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Wallhanger

I’ve been in in 32 degree water I a kayak before. I had time to think about swimming to shore or trying to re-board the kayak when I came up. I think I would have time to get them out of my pocket, although around the neck is more convenient.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Marble Eye 62;6281452plus, the picks don’t want to stay in the storage hole of opposite handle, because it’s too loose.
[/QUOTE]

Just super glue them together

You should be able to fix the looseness problem pretty easy. When I go out on the nasty thin ice I wear mine around my neck for the walk out, but once I get out I put them in my pocket.

Also, don't forget an $8 spring punch to break a truck window once you can drive out. (maybe that never happens in Nebraska?)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
Just super glue them together

You should be able to fix the looseness problem pretty easy. When I go out on the nasty thin ice I wear mine around my neck for the walk out, but once I get out I put them in my pocket.

Also, don't forget an $8 spring punch to break a truck window once you can drive out. (maybe that never happens in Nebraska?)

Just had a truck go through on an Iowa lake the other day. 3 kids and father. Last I knew the father and on child had deceased. Stay safe out there.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
Just had a truck go through on an Iowa lake the other day. 3 kids and father. Last I knew the father and on child had deceased. Stay safe out there.

What lake?
Old 02-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Slot Fish

Storm Lake in NW Iowa, about 125 miles NW of Des Moines. Third time this year some type of vehicle has gone in.

Father and 8 year old son dead....2 daughters, 9 and 5, still alive.
Minnkota Terrova w/IPilot Link
2021 Chev LT Trail Boss 6.2L