Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Homes for sale Mille Lacs Lake - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 04:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzley View Post
Strange, I just had a conversation with a guy whose wife is in real estate yesterday.
He was talking about a small home on literally a pond (Lake Harmony, Pa) that the owners wanted to sell, they were looking at getting roughly $120-$130,000. She told them that that was really low and to let her handle the sale and that she was sure that they would be happy. She sold it SIGHT UNSEEN to someone from NYC for $500K, and when asked when they wanted to see the home they stated that they didn't and that they planned on having it torn down and building a new home that suited them on the lot!
Wait until the new owners get out there and discover there's no internet,,,,,,

HRG
you got that kinda money ........you can get internet !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2020, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyecheek View Post
you got that kinda money ........you can get internet !!!
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-19-2020, 06:22 PM
Wallhanger

Do y'all think the hot market for lake homes extends to NW Ontario, especially now that the border is shut down?
Motorguide Bow Mount
Hummingbird Helix 7
Dual Pro Onboard
Bert's Rod Holders
Custom EZ Loader Trailer
Old 09-19-2020, 09:23 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by welll View Post
While you can make a good buy or pay too much the market is the market...in the end it evens out.

It's a cool lake to fish BUT very low on visuals, buggy, busy, commonly rough, low on non fishing activities and essentially located in the middle of a big bog. The bog starts the food chain with tons of bugs in and around the lake and everything else grows from there.

It at times offers Canada like fishing....that is what people are paying for, not the other stuff.
I couldn’t disagree with you more guest. Mille Lacs has beautiful visuals, is huge so u can always have space if u want, not any buggier than any other lake, has tons of non fishing activities, and is surrounded by mostly high ground which is rare for a lake that size. If u wanna talk about a big bog that is Red Lake and Lake of the Woods with the dark bog stain water.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_water View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by welll View Post
While you can make a good buy or pay too much the market is the market...in the end it evens out.

It's a cool lake to fish BUT very low on visuals, buggy, busy, commonly rough, low on non fishing activities and essentially located in the middle of a big bog. The bog starts the food chain with tons of bugs in and around the lake and everything else grows from there.

It at times offers Canada like fishing....that is what people are paying for, not the other stuff.
I couldn’t disagree with you more guest. Mille Lacs has beautiful visuals, is huge so u can always have space if u want, not any buggier than any other lake, has tons of non fishing activities, and is surrounded by mostly high ground which is rare for a lake that size. If u wanna talk about a big bog that is Red Lake and Lake of the Woods with the dark bog stain water.
LOW is full of islands of all sizes and full of rocky shore line and rock reefs everywhere....sure some of the water is stained (means nothing) some isn't........Millac on the other hand is a big mud bowl......just like winnie is a big sand bowl.......great lakes to fish though !
Old 09-20-2020, 09:23 AM
Wallhanger

As someone who USED to own a lake cabin, I'll weigh I with my opine- don't do it. I think owning a lake cabin is much like owning a boat, the happiest days of your life are the day you buy and the day you sell.

Unless you live there full time(we didn't) the whole time you're there is spent mowing, painting staining, pulling weeds, ect. I barely had time to fish and when Sunday night came I was exhausted from working all weekend. Plus the kids didn't come to visit as often as we anticipated so I took my profit and sold it.

As someone who still owns a boat but not a cabin, I'd advise to rent. Unless of course, you are one of the few that can afford to buy a teardown, build new and then hire people to maintain it. In that case, by all means go for it!
Old 09-20-2020, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roughneck View Post
As someone who USED to own a lake cabin, I'll weigh I with my opine- don't do it. I think owning a lake cabin is much like owning a boat, the happiest days of your life are the day you buy and the day you sell.

Unless you live there full time(we didn't) the whole time you're there is spent mowing, painting staining, pulling weeds, ect. I barely had time to fish and when Sunday night came I was exhausted from working all weekend. Plus the kids didn't come to visit as often as we anticipated so I took my profit and sold it.

As someone who still owns a boat but not a cabin, I'd advise to rent. Unless of course, you are one of the few that can afford to buy a teardown, build new and then hire people to maintain it. In that case, by all means go for it!
I concur with you 100%........I built a summer home before I got married......then purchased another home. It took me 4 years to build it and I did everything except pour the basement and septic system plus wire the house for 110 and 220. When I needed help most were too busy but always had time for our holiday/fishing/hunting gatherings. It was mostly me, myself and my bride that built it every weekend and then had to maintain it once it was done. It wasn't bad until I owned 2 houses to maintain 80 miles apart at 26 years old. That gets old quick.

Every so often someone will ask me if I miss my cottage and I would always answer that question the same way, "No, I don't miss all that work and the free loaders who would visit".

If you can't live there ..........RENT and walk away after the week or month or season. That's what we do now and it's MUCH cheaper too.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-20-2020, 03:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzley View Post
Strange, I just had a conversation with a guy whose wife is in real estate yesterday.
He was talking about a small home on literally a pond (Lake Harmony, Pa) that the owners wanted to sell, they were looking at getting roughly $120-$130,000. She told them that that was really low and to let her handle the sale and that she was sure that they would be happy. She sold it SIGHT UNSEEN to someone from NYC for $500K, and when asked when they wanted to see the home they stated that they didn't and that they planned on having it torn down and building a new home that suited them on the lot!
More and more city people with high paying lobs moving into NE Pa due to Covid and the current state of affairs going on in the big cities, it started quite a few years ago, tapered off somewhat, and is now back to a fever pitch where homes are selling quick and at a premium.
This is true, and another one of the big reasons is the TAXES, it's happening here in WI too from the Chi-town crowd. Huh-, what is the common denominator here?
Old 09-20-2020, 06:51 PM
Wallhanger

The other odd item I find on a lot of these listings at Mille Lacs is the current property tax that is being paid. Commonly I see property taxes last paid reflecting a taxable market value that is approx. half of the sale price that it is listed at.

For those of you that have or had a lake home - how many of you also trailered your boat to fish other lakes?

I appreciate all of the responses.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:11 AM
Wallhanger

seems very bubble-ish to me...

the math is bad on about everything but living in a tent and saving everything, but that's no life. That being said, you can stay headache free and probably cheaper at a lot of NICE resorts with a nice boat for probably 3 weeks to a month a year for the personal and financial cost of a standard lake house...but then again, you get one life to live! I say Live it! (within your means!!)

if a lake house made me, my family happy, built memories and relationships...its worth EVERY. DANG. CENT.!