Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How many plastics do you bring on a fly in - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-29-2021, 12:14 PM
Wallhanger

If you can find these TAKE THEM ! take note of the color! !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210329_130847_1617041649842.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	325272  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2021, 12:32 PM
Wallhanger

If I am focusing on Walleye, probably 15 packs of grubs and 15 packs of paddletail/twitch minnows. Maybe more. Far more than I would ever need. Part of the problem is that I usually have something new I want to try as well as the old standbys.

If it is earlier in the season, I take more in the 3" range. Later in the season, more in the 4 and 5" range.

I probably fish with paddletails more than twister tails these days as well. Not for any particular reason.

For colors, I have a natural color (white, shad), some more neutral colors (brown, green, copper) and some brighter colors (pink, purple, chartreuse, firetiger or a mix of these). White and pink are my go to colors, including pink with white/purple/chartreuse. If those do not perform, I go natural and maybe copper.

My go to twister tails are Yum and Zoom. I really like the Yamamoto products, but they don't last at all. The BassPro XPS grubs are good too.

For paddletails, Northland Paddletail Minnows, Berkley Ripple Shad and Berkley Grass Pig Jr. I have a bunch of others as well, but they all work well. The Berkley Grass Pig line is good and cheap.

For twitch tail minnows, I like the Lunker City Fin-S line, Berkley Powerbait and Gulp. Gulp is a PITA so I am moving more toward Powerbait these days. I probably have a ton of others, I would have to go look. Again, they all perform very similarly.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:06 PM
Wallhanger

It's really easy to go overboard with the plastics. If you take what you think you might need, you could easily end up with 3 and a half pounds of plastics that you couldn't use up in a season much less a week.I try to limit walleye plastics to around 50 tails. I take my plastics out of the vendor packs and put them with like colors in small zip lock bags I get at container store or clearbags online. I bring 6 white, 5 black, 10 brown/root beer, 6 pink/pink white, 3 yellow, 4 chartreuse, 3 orange, 8 minnow/silver colored shad style and 5 bright colored ringworms or paddle tails. If I'm going to use orange or orange tipped brown tails, I will use a light wire leader tied directly to the jig because Mr. Pike seems to home in on the orange.

I also bring some large money minnow swim baits for pike (walleye eat them too) 3 large orange and 3 large white tails to tip weedless spoons and some super glue to mend torn plastics.

I used to jig 80% of the time and troll 20% and only bottom bounce when absolutely necessary. However now I probably pull spinners 50% of the time just because its so effective at locating and catching scattered fish so I never come close to using up my plastics. Even if I jigged all the time I would not run out.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:24 AM
Minnow

Also, a pack of Z Man TRD Ned rig baits.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:57 AM
Wallhanger

Just to add to thought for your stock.

One afternoon a rookie attached a 8" white worm to his jig and started to slay the walleyes during a slow bite. The 1st fish I thought was a fluke. When he caught 3 in a row I asked him kindly for one.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:29 AM
Wallhanger

What!?

Nobody brings up the 4-5 inch ringworms?

White and orange.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
What!?

Nobody brings up the 4-5 inch ringworms?

White and orange.
I bring real worms......big arse worms n lots of them
Old 03-30-2021, 12:50 PM
Keeper

I have wanted to try the Authentx Moxie - not sure if that qualifies as a ring worm or not
Have never ordered as I cannot find them in Canada. Ordering from US ends up bringing the price to more than I am willing to pay for a plastic lol - what can I say I am frugal
Old 03-31-2021, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy28 View Post
I have wanted to try the Authentx Moxie - not sure if that qualifies as a ring worm or not
Have never ordered as I cannot find them in Canada. Ordering from US ends up bringing the price to more than I am willing to pay for a plastic lol - what can I say I am frugal
A big YES to the Authentex Moxie! Not sure why, but walleye do seem to like them at times.

I've told the story numerous times when fishing LS a few years ago I couldn't buy a walleye on minnows, leeches or worms and jigs or spinners. Out of frustration put a Moxy on my jig and immediately started catching fish. Don't care as to the "why" but it has worked numerous times since.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 03-31-2021, 07:48 PM
Wallhanger

I figure 5 fish per plastic average between them getting torn up, bit off and lost in the rocks. That might be a little too conservative but running out is a big disappointment. Throw in a variety of colors and styles because you don't know what will be "hot" and that's a bunch of plastics. Not a big deal for me as I fish them a ton at home anyway and the jigs weigh a lot more than the bodies.