Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Musky Lure Colors - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2020, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
I was told by someone local that orange and black is a good color so I came up with this one...

Thanks for any guidance you guys can provide! https://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...f3087525c5.jpg
That looks cool! But as a wildlife biologist (not a musky fisherman), I should warn you that prominently visible eyes on prey are in general a turn-off to predators, especially ambush predators. It's assumed that this is because experience has taught them they're not likely to make a kill if the prey sees them from a distance.

Indeed, in places in India where people have to worry about getting grabbed by a tiger when they're out collecting wood, honey, whatever in the forest, I've heard that the people sometimes wear masks with prominent eyes on the BACKS of their heads, so any tiger trying to sneak up on them from behind will think it's been spotted and slink off rather than attack. Not kidding.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Keeper

Default Lure Colors

10 Inch Jakes are an AWESOME musky lure! My fishing partner and I have done quite well trolling 10 inch Jakes and 9-inch Grandmas over the past several years.

I typically like to fish deep, clear lake trout / cisco based lakes in NW Ontario, so I prefer to match the hatch. Generally black on top half, white on the bottom half, and silver holoform tape along the sides (I'll dig up some pictures and share them on a subsequent post in this thread).

You mentioned orange also. I really like orange with black dots when fishing shallow, dark stained water (such as Osbourne Bay of Eagle Lake).

But most of the time these days, I'm fishing cisco / lake trout based lakes. Here is an AWESOME video showing how to paint a cisco pattern. This is an ULTRA beautiful paint job, in my opinion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwiFmUQiawU
Old 03-20-2020, 03:44 PM
Keeper

Default Clear Water Color Patterns

As mentioned, I really like the black and white with silver holoform tape pattern (or blue and white with silver) for fishing clear water lakes.

The first picture depicts a factory painted 10-inch Jake, along with a Triple D which I had custom painted.

The second picture shows some of my walleye baits (Rapala Husky Jerk, Smitwick Perfect 10 Rogue, Bandit, etc) which I had custom painted in either Black and white with silver Holo or Blue and white with silver holo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEE Jake and Triple D.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	316672   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDD Walleye sized baits.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	316674  
Old 10-15-2022, 01:53 PM
Minnow

I agree with the black top and white bottom. I've also had good luck lately with yellow musky lures, especially in stained water.