Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Proposed New Manitoba Fishing Regulations - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-08-2021, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

LOW on the Minnesota side is nothing over 19.5", but allow for 1 over 28". I don't believe very many over 28" are kept each year. There is no minimum size limit and not sure what to think on the small end. The lake seems to be full of 12'-13' saugers and every year it seems to be the same. We personally don't take fish that small, but the charter boats do. At times it is darned near impossible to find a 16"-18" walleye. Everything is either too small or over 19.5". Not sure if that means the keeper sized fish are getting fished out or is there so darned many small ones that the keepers have a hard time getting to your hook???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2021, 05:14 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutwater View Post
Don't we already kind of see this with pike in Ontario? All over 29" are to be released? I like it. Living in MN I am appalled at what I see kept. Heck just last week my girlfriend's brother in law kept and ate a 20" smallmouth from the Mississippi River. Now he's talking about getting a replica mount. I think that kind of defeats the purpose....
Eating a 20 inch smallie is disgusting. What are these people thinking? Iím happy for any enforced regulations that are best for the fishery. I like fresh fish as much as the next guy but I like catching so much more.

Unless we get serious now about conservation, our favorite pastime will be history.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley View Post
Eating a 20 inch smallie is disgusting. What are these people thinking? Iím happy for any enforced regulations that are best for the fishery. I like fresh fish as much as the next guy but I like catching so much more.

Unless we get serious now about conservation, our favorite pastime will be history.
Iím not sure how old you are,if you fished Ontario back in the 60ís or early 70ís there were limits but no size limits,you would have crapped your pants as to what got carved up,thank god they wised up and started slots or there would be zero big fishing,not sure what year they put a slot size in place maybe someone can chime in with that
Old 06-10-2021, 08:03 PM
Minnow

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohlt View Post
Iím not sure how old you are,if you fished Ontario back in the 60ís or early 70ís there were limits but no size limits,you would have crapped your pants as to what got carved up,thank god they wised up and started slots or there would be zero big fishing,not sure what year they put a slot size in place maybe someone can chime in with that
I was there in the 70s and felt the same way then. Why would anyone eat a trophy. Itís worth so much more back in the water, regardless of the species.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:34 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley View Post
I was there in the 70s and felt the same way then. Why would anyone eat a trophy. Itís worth so much more back in the water, regardless of the species.
Times have changed for the better,most now throw big fish back,but then there are still people who donít care and put the knife to big fish,you do your part and Iíll do mine and feel good about it,thatís all you can do