Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Camp Within 1.5 Hrs of Border - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-10-2021, 06:00 AM
Slot Fish

Default Camp Within 1.5 Hrs of Border

Our group has decided to try and plan a trip to Canada in July 2022. The group wants to stay within 1.5 hours of the border of Minnesota and Ontario. I have looked at the Northwest Arm of Rainy Lake, the Seine Bay/Red Gut Bay Area of Rainy Lake and also looking at the Morson/Nester Falls area of LOTW. Any suggestions on where to stay on LOTW? Or other Lakes? These are the things we are looking for:
Mainly target Walleyes
Good mapping of the lake and hazards - detailed chip preferred
Protected docks from the wind
Good road to the resort - not much gravel if any. Fishing close by on the water
Good clean camp

Thanks for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Sort of reminded me of the old saying of manufacturing/procuring a new product: Good, Fast, Cheap - pick any two!

That said, and hopefully of more help to you, the Morson area can be a fun place, a number of resorts, and pretty good fishing. A larger boat is useful as wind can be a factor. Eight miles to the north of Morson, is Obabikon Bay Camp (Obabikon), a neat place, with lots of nearby fishing, and gorgeous scenery, well run, great owner.

Bill
Old 06-10-2021, 10:12 AM
Keeper

Young's Wilderness Camp on LOTW at Nestor Falls. Checks all your boxes. Did 10 trips with my Dad here before I changed to flyouts after he died. I'll be going back in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2021, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed, if the border opens, a double thumbs up for Young's Wilderness Camp. As Jambi said, they check ALL your boxes with ease! Been going for 28 years straight prior to last year, can't say enough good about them!!

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae"
Old 06-10-2021, 02:15 PM
Slot Fish

Thank you for the suggestions. We are looking for a resort we can drive to. We will be bringing our own boats.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergy View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. We are looking for a resort we can drive to. We will be bringing our own boats.
Have been taking my own boat for the past 10+ yrs to YWC. Short 3-4 minute boat ride to the island lodge. They'll assist unloading/loading boat, gear, luggage etc and deliver all your stuff right to the door of the cabin. Electric and cords on the lighted docks for charging as well.

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae"
Old 06-10-2021, 03:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
Quote:
Have been taking my own boat for the past 10+ yrs to YWC. Short 3-4 minute boat ride to the island lodge. They'll assist unloading/loading boat, gear, luggage etc and deliver all your stuff right to the door of the cabin. Electric and cords on the lighted docks for charging as well.
Where do you leave your vehicle and trailer ?
Old 06-10-2021, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallychowder View Post
Where do you leave your vehicle and trailer ?
Private road/drive to secure parking at their private landing.

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae"
Old 06-11-2021, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Our group has decided to try and plan a trip to Canada in July 2022. The group wants to stay within 1.5 hours of the border of Minnesota and Ontario. I have looked at the Northwest Arm of Rainy Lake, the Seine Bay/Red Gut Bay Area of Rainy Lake and also looking at the Morson/Nester Falls area of LOTW. Any suggestions on where to stay on LOTW? Or other Lakes? These are the things we are looking for:
Mainly target Walleyes
Good mapping of the lake and hazards - detailed chip preferred
Protected docks from the wind
Good road to the resort - not much gravel if any. Fishing close by on the water
Good clean camp

Thanks for any assistance.
I've been fishing just north of the border for nearly 40 years. My recommendation would be to schedule your trip in late August or even early September. The weather will be cooler and still stable, bugs will be mostly gone and the fish will still be glued to the reefs and weedy shorelines. If it has to be July it will usually be warm, buggy and the bite is mostly in the AM and PM.

Lake of the Woods, Nestor Falls is a good choice. Young's on Stevens Bay allows access to some great areas to fish LOW. Young's might be hard to get into in July because they have lots of loyal customers.

Your group could also stay on Crow Lake at Hansons or Boreal. Crow has lake trout, SMB and musky. All the resorts have access to Stevens Bay on LOW at a private landing 5 minutes away. You would also have access to Whitefish Bay which is a short 7 mile drive and has some of the best midsummer bass and pike fishing to be had. Access is at Vic and Dots. Downside is you have drive. Upside is you have more variety and if this is your first trip it gives you an opportunity to do research for future trips. I personally like Hanson's Resort and usually stay there when I fish this area.

Morson is also a good area to fish LOW. Morson is basically at the other end of the areas you can access from Stevens Bay. There are also several resorts that are located on Islands in this area and all have secure mainland parking. LOW will provide walleye, pike, musky, SMB , LMB and crappie. LOW would probably be the best choice for mid summer fishing, but late August and September even better.

Rainy is also good, but IMO is better in late August and September. I most familure with the Red Gut, Swell and Seine Bay areas. Excellent walleye and pike fishing. SMB can be had, but you have to use deep presentations. The Landings is located in the middle of Red Gut. Taylors Cove and the Fisheries are located on Bear Passage and give easy access to all the bays in either direction.

If you have any questions you can PM me.

Last edited by Baseline; 06-11-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:53 PM
Wallhanger

Arrowhead resort Nestorfalls