Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ecoboost vs 5.0L - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
hat trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I didn't know Rams had Auto 4wd. Is it just on the top trim level like Ford?
Nope. Mine is not the upper trim level. Even the express trim level I test drove had it.

you can't find and all American vehicle company anymore btw...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Keeper

Default 3.5L V6 Ecoboost 2013 F150

Not to hijack the thread but anybody have opinions on this motor. Just need to be able to tow a 17' boat 2 times a year to Canada. At present I'm towing with a Honda Ridgeline and lucky to get 12 MPG with that.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IaDave View Post
Not to hijack the thread but anybody have opinions on this motor. Just need to be able to tow a 17' boat 2 times a year to Canada. At present I'm towing with a Honda Ridgeline and lucky to get 12 MPG with that.

Mileage will be similar. Power will be unbelievable compared to what you have now.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat trick View Post
Nope. Mine is not the upper trim level. Even the express trim level I test drove had it.
I've got 2015 Tradesman trim level, 3.7 V6/8-speed, no Auto 4WD.

HRG
Old 02-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
I've got 2015 Tradesman trim level, 3.7 V6/8-speed, no Auto 4WD.

HRG
I'm taking a stab in the dark but I'd be willing to bet the V6 models use a lighter weight transfer case. Probably the reason for no Auto 4WD.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGPopp View Post
I'm taking a stab in the dark but I'd be willing to bet the V6 models use a lighter weight transfer case. Probably the reason for no Auto 4WD.
I had a 2014 Silverado V6 last year, had Auto 4WD. (and was a pretty sweet truck with 285hp/305lb torque- pulled my Nav 175 no problem)
Old 02-19-2015, 06:57 AM
Wallhanger

I bought a new F150 FX4 in August of last year, the dealer let me test drive 2 of them with the boat hooked up, one had the 5.0 and the other was the Eco. Below is what I found. The truck I previously had was a 2005 F150 with the 5.4

Both new F150's had the 3.55 rear end, the 5.0L FX4 truck was fully loaded on the inside and 20" tires/rims. The Eco boost had the standard FX4 interior and 18" tires/rims (tires on both were all terrain)

I test drove the 5.0L with the boat first. It had good acceleration on the uphill on ramp to the highway with the nice V8 rumble. At crusing speed (70mph) it didnt need to down shift when going uphill on the highway (not a major hill though). When I accelerated to pass someone, it would down shift and you could feel that the boat was back there but is was a definate improvement over what I have been used to. When exiting the highway, the braking was not much different that what I have been used to (no trailer brakes for me). From the highway, we went onto a country backroad with more hills. The truck would downshift more often on this road (55 to 60mph and not using tow haul mode). Regarding any hesitation when towing, when I accellerated to pass someone, the downshift and accelleration was instantaineous but I could tell I was pulling the boat. From a stop, there was no hesitation on accelleration. Overall, I was impressed with the performance compared to what I was used to.

Next we hooked up to the Eco Boost. When pulling out from a stop sign, there is a slight hesitation (I would guess it to be less than 1/4 sec) but then you accellerate very well (better than the 5.0). Going uphill on the same on ramp to the highway, the accelleration is noticeably better than the 5.0 and it seemed to me that if the truck was already moving, the slight hesitation mentioned above was no longer there. Cruising speed on the highway was the same as the 5.0, it didnt downshift at all when going up small hills. When I accellerated to pass someone, you could not feel that there was a boat behind me at all - the accelleration made me think holy $^%#!. I noticed it and the Salesperson was the first to say it out loud. When exiting the highway, braking was no different than the 5.0L. When driving on the country backroad (55 to 60mph), the truck did not down shift at all (not using tow haul mode)

Once I got done with both test drives, there were 3 other people that asked which truck pulled the boat better (dealer employees) as they have never had anyone test drive both while towing something.

Just from research, I expected there to be a little difference between the 2 motors, but I was very suprised at how much the Eco boost outperformed the 5.0 while towing.

It would expect that when not towing, it would be much tougher to tell a difference in performace between them.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstorm View Post
I bought a new F150 FX4 in August of last year, the dealer let me test drive 2 of them with the boat hooked up, one had the 5.0 and the other was the Eco. Below is what I found. The truck I previously had was a 2005 F150 with the 5.4

Both new F150's had the 3.55 rear end, the 5.0L FX4 truck was fully loaded on the inside and 20" tires/rims. The Eco boost had the standard FX4 interior and 18" tires/rims (tires on both were all terrain)

I test drove the 5.0L with the boat first. It had good acceleration on the uphill on ramp to the highway with the nice V8 rumble. At crusing speed (70mph) it didnt need to down shift when going uphill on the highway (not a major hill though). When I accelerated to pass someone, it would down shift and you could feel that the boat was back there but is was a definate improvement over what I have been used to. When exiting the highway, the braking was not much different that what I have been used to (no trailer brakes for me). From the highway, we went onto a country backroad with more hills. The truck would downshift more often on this road (55 to 60mph and not using tow haul mode). Regarding any hesitation when towing, when I accellerated to pass someone, the downshift and accelleration was instantaineous but I could tell I was pulling the boat. From a stop, there was no hesitation on accelleration. Overall, I was impressed with the performance compared to what I was used to.

Next we hooked up to the Eco Boost. When pulling out from a stop sign, there is a slight hesitation (I would guess it to be less than 1/4 sec) but then you accellerate very well (better than the 5.0). Going uphill on the same on ramp to the highway, the accelleration is noticeably better than the 5.0 and it seemed to me that if the truck was already moving, the slight hesitation mentioned above was no longer there. Cruising speed on the highway was the same as the 5.0, it didnt downshift at all when going up small hills. When I accellerated to pass someone, you could not feel that there was a boat behind me at all - the accelleration made me think holy $^%#!. I noticed it and the Salesperson was the first to say it out loud. When exiting the highway, braking was no different than the 5.0L. When driving on the country backroad (55 to 60mph), the truck did not down shift at all (not using tow haul mode)

Once I got done with both test drives, there were 3 other people that asked which truck pulled the boat better (dealer employees) as they have never had anyone test drive both while towing something.

Just from research, I expected there to be a little difference between the 2 motors, but I was very suprised at how much the Eco boost outperformed the 5.0 while towing.

It would expect that when not towing, it would be much tougher to tell a difference in performace between them.
Good review. I believe this to be very accurate from my experiences towing my boat with my eco vs my buddy towing my boat with his 5.0. His 5.0 does seem to get a bump better MPG towing though.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:31 AM
Wallhanger

I have owned both. an 11 and a 13. both identical trucks with same gearing (3.73) and options. It makes me laugh when I read comments about how one motor will blow the other out of the water. most people have experience with one of the motors and not the other, but are experts on them both.

yes the EB does have more torque at a lower rpm it does not 'blow' the 5.0 out of the water. in fact towing my boat (which is a lot) esp. at hwy speed I actually prefer the 5.0. it seemed to be the 'smoother' of the two engines. neither truck downshifts unless you are going uphill. the 5.0 bested the EB in the mpg department by 2-3 mpgs towing. Engine assisted braking on the 5.0 is much better than the EB.

both motors are great and will both get done whatever you can hook up behind them. The EB may get you to speed a second faster but in efficiency, the 5.0 will get you farther between fill ups.

I will be searching for another truck this fall and I am really thinking about going back to the 5.0.

drive them both and see which one you prefer... we can all tell you but in the end you will have to make the decision.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Wallhanger

Good Intel here. You guys want to post any issues with motor and the rest of the drivetrain on both motors

Also what are your experience with those motors just driving to work for mpg?