Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
AIM 2009 Tournament Format - Page 10 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 PM

I don't know if it was brought up before. To many posts! LOL I'll hit on the length too. I know, I know, rules are rules, and you know them going in. But can you imagine all the crap stirred up if you get a close finish, by say 1/2", but one of the 2nd place finishers fish was clearly a pound or so heavier by weight on the final day? Not to mention, and we know it WILL happen, people will scrutinize EVERY day's fish in a close finish. If I was a competitor, I would be fine with it (but it would suck!), rules are rules. I just think it will open the circuit to allot of scrutiny and controversy.

I think they'll be fine and wish them the best luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 PM
ruler

Default same same

There could be 2 fisherman with the exact same "total length" at the day and or the end of the tourney and have drastically dfferent weights.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Jack Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Kemos View Post
Yeppers,
I would like to personally thank you and the rest of the folks for all of your concerns and constructive critic ism. There is no doubt thanks to people like yourself that AIM is the most talked about thing in the Walleye World. Keep the comments and suggestions coming in. I cannot speak for the rest of the investors, however I personally think it is great that so many players in the sport are taking time out of their day to comment on AIM's shortcoming's.

Tommy Kemos
I have no concerns or criticism. I am excited that people are putting new spins on tournament fishing. I am just sick of all the complaints and negative speculation. I just started reading these posts, and can't believe all the negativity before there has even been an actual tourney. People usually rant and rave after a tourney. I can't believe we can't get past using inches instead of pounds. Just another way to measure the size. I also think pictures are as good as seeing the fish. I think we all have seen plenty of fish in person. If this gets us to "cull" in no cull and not have to worry about slots, it is well worth it. The Dakotas and certain Mississippi River pools are going to be whole new ball games. I remember fishing for 15 inchers on Mille Lacs when you could catch 50 fish between 20 and 27 inches easily. I wish the investors all the good fortune in the world. The more walleye tournaments, the better. Period.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Jack Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler View Post
There could be 2 fisherman with the exact same "total length" at the day and or the end of the tourney and have drastically dfferent weights.
So.

These will be total length tournies. Weight is meaningless. It is like saying "the guy who finished second by two oz. in the FLW actually had longer fish". Pointless. Old habits die hard, but if people can adjust I think there are some huge benefits. I still think we can get someone to sponsor a Jumbotron.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
ruler

Default not total length

No they are not total length tourneys. Each fish will be measured and a weight wil be calculated for each individual fish. Lets say a guy gets 4 30" fish, each fish' calculated weight is 10lbs. He has a total of 40lbs. Now the next guy has 5 fish, 3 @ 30" and 2 @ 15". Same total length as the other guy but each of his 15" fish are calculated @ 1.5lbs each for a total weight of 33lbs. I don't believe you will see allot of ties after a 3 day tourney.
These tourney WILL be exciting. Lets loose the tunnel vision and open up our minds. Personally I don't think measuring and taking a photo is gonna be that hard.
Getting the kids ready for school on time...HARD, measuring and taking a photo...not Hard.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 PM
fiddlestyx

Measuring isn't that hard, trusting that everyone is measuring correctly is another thing. I just did a test to validate in my mind how fudging of length could occur. WHy? invest $1750 in a tourney and follow the rules only to have someone else win or beat you by ... not following them, not a confidence builder!

Took a stuffed fish (like you'd win at a fair) 18" used the common ruler we all use for validating length, The Judge, and held it on the board as we would do in a tourney, with 2 hands. I had a friend take three photos from over my right shoulder, maxxing the length of the fish to fill the frame (remember 18" means reletively close). After each photo I repositioned the fish without the photographer knowing, varying the length by over 1/2". I confirmed with my friend what the length was before each photo, after looking at the photos, I asked him to confirm that by the photos,and visual inspection before the shot, the longest length measurement was the right one, looking closely he did, zooming in on the tail and the head.

Why the length difference? the nose of the fish was off the board but undetectable by a photo, even zoomed in with a 14 megapixal camera on a 18" fish. Not only that it was verified by him prior to the pic and this person fishes tournaments but I didn't tell him what I was planning to do. Once I told him, he still couldn't tell the fish was 1/2" off the bump end of the bd from the photo.

Whats the point? co anglers are expected to be marshalls to validate the measurements, I counter that it doesn't make a difference who does it. When big money is involved people will do things to gain advantages that aren't neccessarily according to all the rules. If in a controlled environment, with an experienced tournament angler, I can vary my length by 1/2" on 1 fish, add it up, thats 2 1/2" per day,
or 7 1/2" per tourney! criticize my process if you will but it is reality folks. Smaller money tourneys would tempt less to fudge, but don't tell me it won't happen, it will!

Beat me fair and square, I'll pat you on the back and congratulate you and try that much harder the next time. But don't beat me on an unlevel playing field, I won't stoop to cheat to win. Unfortunately this format opens up the opportunity to fudge that we all hoped wouldn't happen.

Peace Love, Peace Love
Old 01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Fiddle,
I guess you are supporting the fact that that the co's have no dog in the fight. They have no reason to lie for the pro or themselves. At some point you have to give people credit for integrity.
A pro would not risk his good name and career by attemping to coerce a co to lie for him or her.
Opportunities for people to illegally cull or keep snagged fish have alway existed, but I do not recall instances of events such as those determining the result of any PWT or FLW tourney.
I do recall problems a couple of team events over the years do to complicity of the partners. That said, I still am not concerned about competing and losing to a pair of crooks.

And as for Yeppers, you have the ability to trash talk, and you represent the worst of the anonymous user. You are a sad and inconsiderate bore.

Take care,

Last edited by Jim Ordway; 01-07-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
bbbbb

Default Another thought

In ND you can't put a walleye in the livewell and release it. In tournaments I have seen guy's trolling and catch a double so tell me how are these guys going to measure, photograph and record the length of two fish at the same timeand get them released without killing them?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Wallhanger

Default Live Chat with Keith K

I hope that you guys can 'civilly' raise some of your concerns during the live chat tonight.

I'm assuming that it's still a go, right Juls?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modog View Post
I hope that you guys can 'civilly' raise some of your concerns during the live chat tonight.

I'm assuming that it's still a go, right Juls?
No chance any of the trolls show up on the chat tonight under their actual log ins.

Someone might figure out which two guys have been doing all the crying then