Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
AIM 2009 Tournament Format - Page 9 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 12-31-2008, 09:22 AM
NDGuest

Default Co's

Talk about arrogance!!! How many times have the "Pro's" won because it was their "Co" who caught all the fish or the winning fish? A LOT!!! I've fished as both an am and a pro. As an am, I've made my pro's money numerous times. As a pro, the am's have made me money numerous times. For you Pro's who think the "co's" are just taking up time and space, you need to check your ego's at the door. Those extra lines and their skill (or luck) is often just what YOU need to win. Sure you pick the place, provide the gear, the techniques, and etc., but unless you've never weighted a co's fish I think you need a reality check on their value.

GO CO's and the tourneys and pro's who truly understand your value!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Guest Co

Default How Disgraceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDGuest View Post
Talk about arrogance!!! How many times have the "Pro's" won because it was their "Co" who caught all the fish or the winning fish? A LOT!!! I've fished as both an am and a pro. As an am, I've made my pro's money numerous times. As a pro, the am's have made me money numerous times. For you Pro's who think the "co's" are just taking up time and space, you need to check your ego's at the door. Those extra lines and their skill (or luck) is often just what YOU need to win. Sure you pick the place, provide the gear, the techniques, and etc., but unless you've never weighted a co's fish I think you need a reality check on their value.

GO CO's and the tourneys and pro's who truly understand your value!!!!!

NDQuest,
I couldn't agree with more. Just imagine how exciting it will be if the Co was really a "Marshall" and not having his/her two rods in the water. I fished the 2005 PWT Super Pro Tournament (Houghton/Han****). If I remember correctly, only one Pro/Am boat caught 5 fish each of the first three days of the tournament, that was Mark Martin. And the boat average catch was three fish per day for these three days of fishing. Just imagine how exciting that would have been if only two rods were in the water instead of four. Now that's the real reason why the Co's are needed. Forget about the "learning experience" gained by the Co. because 95% of the time we used crawler harnesses. ****, I've fished with harnesses in the 70's. Now, was that "learning experience" worth $700 (which was the Co's entry fee). For AIM to disguise the need for their Co's two rods in the water by stating that they want a new class of Co's and for the "learning experience" gained is arrogant and disgraceful to both the Co's and the walleye fishing industry. I would think that NPAA (or is that AIM founders and NPAA members) is biased if they support this AIM format.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
redcedarguy

As a past and possible future co-angler I don't really care too much about the winnings, be they cash or prizes. I fish as a co to learn all I can learn. What is not appealing is having a 90% chance of only fishing two days. Would it be worth my time to drive 12 hours to fish Erie for only two days? I doubt it. Two hours to Mille Lacs, probably. I would rather see three days fishing for the co-angler. Just my measly 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Keeper

Nobody is stopping you from fishing more than 2 days, most pro's are looking for someone to prefish with them and with as reasonable as the entry fees are maybe you could hire a guide for another day or 2 if you want to fish more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcedarguy View Post
As a past and possible future co-angler I don't really care too much about the winnings, be they cash or prizes. I fish as a co to learn all I can learn. What is not appealing is having a 90% chance of only fishing two days. Would it be worth my time to drive 12 hours to fish Erie for only two days? I doubt it. Two hours to Mille Lacs, probably. I would rather see three days fishing for the co-angler. Just my measly 2 cents.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Kyle King

Default huhh

Dear Yellow Belly. Are you for Real. Man some of the guys here really need a K... in the Pants. Think about it. Then give your response. They guys are saying and have been saying since this post started. The Co wants to be treated the same as the Pro. Not in the same exact way but dont treat them like they and Not important. I have a lot of Pro Am tournaments and unless AIM wakes up they could be in fro a real surprise.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Jack Neuman

Default Length/weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
Wow... pretty surprised at what I am reading... and after thinking about it for 30 minutes two words keep coming to mind, "total joke" Who wants to go to a weigh in to look at photos? And what incentive is there for the coangler to be the watchdog of the pro since the coangler has nothing riding on the days catch. I can see where a coangler might be bought off to look the other way as the pro fudges some measurements. All of us know that 2 fish of the same length do not weigh the same... that is going to be a huge mess.

As for co-anglers, wow, pay $250 to get to pump up the pot for the pros, what a great deal! 100 coanglers puts 25,000 in the pot for the pros. At least with the old PWT format and the current FLW you have the luck of the draw to get a pro that is on the fish and had a chance to win cash or prizes based on who you drew as a pro and how you fished as a team. I have fished these before and so have friends where without the coangler the team would have goose egged for the day. AIM would have been better off to offer free ride alongs as observers than to charge $250 to enter a cooler lottery. Now the only incentive to enter is to get to fish with a legendary pro and be their boat boy/girl and hope that your name gets drawn for a prize... well, even the legendary pros put their pants on one leg at a time, these guys are nothing out of the ordinary besides the fact they get to fish a little bit more than the average guy. AIM is relying on the star struck factor to draw co-anglers... this is not going to work. When you can sell a "Legendary Pro Angler's" autograph for over $1 then maybe the star struck co-angler idea might fly. If AIM really wanted to draw co anglers they should have offered cash prizes based on results. I was thinking about fishing as a co-angler, but not now, I think I will play the lottery where I have a chance to win money, not a cooler!

This thing looks like a scam to me... a new innovation to make the legendary anglers money. The press releases are trying to sugar coat the facts, but the people are smarter than they think and can see right through it!

I don't think star struck is necessary. 250 for 1 day of fishing is a good deal. Why is everybody hung up on weight. Length is good indicator of quality fish. When I musky fish, I only deal in inches these days. I love the fact that people are trying something new. I think that if they get a Jumbotron to show action videos while they interview the anglers(Cabelas NTC did this under Chris Bahl). This would be better than a bunch of fish out of water. I know what a 24 inch walleye looks like. Show me some highlights, interview the anglers, and put some maps of lake locations possibly. I am sure they will fine tune it with trial and error. Wouldn't it be great if people got on board and helped make tournament fishing more exciting. Good luck AIM!!!!!

Jack Neuman
Old 01-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

Default Net Cams

I agree with Jack. I'd like to see some video of the 'big ones that got away' too. How about a 'net cam'...
Old 01-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Keeper

Default Hmmm

Ok I thought about it and my new response is, you can drive 12 hours and only fish 2 days, none before or after! Is that better? How can someone complain about driving 12 hours and only fish one day, when no one in this world will stop you from fishing more days if you would like. I responded to the previous post I quoted and was not trying to fix your problem with "everyone is equal".

AIM is not for everyone, if you don't like it, don't fish it PERIOD! But, I am willing to bet there is a waiting list of co-anglers at every tournament AIM has, I could be wrong but I would definetly take that bet.

I for one have never fished a Pro-Am tournament, but would like to some day on both sides of the Pro-Am. If I pony up the Pro entry fee, I do want to be treated equally to every other pro, if I only pay the low entry am fee, I don't expect to be treated like a pro.

Why do you feel the Co needs to be treated the same as the Pro? Did you think about this before you typed it in?

Does the FLW treat the Co the same as the Pro? Does the FLW let the co bring his/her favorite bait in the Pro's boat, does the FLW let co bring his/her favorite snoopy pole in the Pro's boat?

Man it looks like the FLW treats the Pro better than the Co. Where are you getting this "everyone is equal" comparison from?

I guess my glass must be half full and unfortunatly most of you bellyachers on here, your glass is definetly half empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle King View Post
Dear Yellow Belly. Are you for Real. Man some of the guys here really need a K... in the Pants. Think about it. Then give your response. They guys are saying and have been saying since this post started. The Co wants to be treated the same as the Pro. Not in the same exact way but dont treat them like they and Not important. I have a lot of Pro Am tournaments and unless AIM wakes up they could be in fro a real surprise.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeppers

Jack is right, but there is no way in heck the AIM can afford a Jumbotron pro rock stage like the NTC in Milford or what the PAA (Professional Anglers Association) does with the Texas Toyota Classic.

They have a very limited budget at best.

My guess is the weigh-ins will be just like the PWT except there will be few fish. Just the fish anglers bring in to photo.

Now that may be a PR nightmare since anglers will obviously bring in large fish to photograph so there is some promotional value for papers, web and any other media,and they won't be releasing them.

Just think of the po'd folks as they watch the big fish from their system get killed for a photo.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Tommy Kemos

Default Yeppers

Yeppers,
I would like to personally thank you and the rest of the folks for all of your concerns and constructive critic ism. There is no doubt thanks to people like yourself that AIM is the most talked about thing in the Walleye World. Keep the comments and suggestions coming in. I cannot speak for the rest of the investors, however I personally think it is great that so many players in the sport are taking time out of their day to comment on AIM's shortcoming's.

Tommy Kemos