Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Riding Walleye Boat in Rough Water - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Wallhanger

Just got a Starcraft Fishmaster, 19'. Took it out on a windy day specifically to test the ride since my old Alumicraft 1650 Dominator Sport just about destroyed my kidneys.

The Starcraft fishmaster rides very smooth in 4 ft swells and white caps. I was very surprised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Missouri,
The best riding rough water boat is the one that you don't sit in; but rather stand.

When you are running over waves that are multi feet in height, you don't want your butt parked on any type of seat. This leads to severe disk compression. Ask my back doctor and he will use me as a good example.

A much better idea is to buy a boat that makes it convenient to stand when working big waves and rough water.

Any of the bigger glass center console boats meet this criteria.

The reason that I use the word glass, is that glass simply be formed to a much much much better hydrodynamic shape than metal can be shaped.

You want a boat that has a double reverse chine and bow section.

Take a good look at the big off shore blue water boats with their very wide outspreading bow. The bow is shaped this way to deflect the water as it cuts through and over waves outward.

Unfortunately - metal can not be formed with the double reverse that is necessary to form this shape. So, a good well designed glass boat is always going to be drier riding and softer riding than a similar sized metal boat. Simple design.

Having said that - longer is nearly always better. Rather than going between a wave, a longer boat can often span one or more waves.

Also, the longer and more pointed the nose of the boat is; the softer entry and easier ride the boat is going to be.

A good test is to have the boat on a trailer and then stand about 20-30 feet in front of the boat and site down the sides of the boat from the front. Observe the shape of the hull, as the hull moves from the tip of the boat to the stern. You want a rather sharp bow with a smooth swelling transition to the full width of the boat. You also want to see a rather distinct out swelling of the bow area to be able to deflect those big rogue waves outward, rather than upward. The wider the waves can be spread, the drier and softer the ride will be in the boat.

It is pretty easy to figure which boat is going to be better riding, by doing this siting job down the bow of the boat.

Now, even if you have a typical sit down boat - see if you have options, so that you could push the seats back, stand up, and have an option to put a grab rail in a good position to hold - when driving or riding from a standing position.

Then, when you encounter a big wave, your knees can bend several feet to take the shock of the ascending or descending wave. This really saves your back to let your knees take the shock - rather than your back.

I just happened to be cruising through Craigslist ads last night and came across this boat.

I suspect that this boat would meet all of the criteria that I have listed above. Look at the picture of the bow area. Look at the picture of the cockpit with the stand up grab rails. etc. etc.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...350161789.html

At 19 1/2 feet - it is a decent size and with a 140 on the back would have reasonable power.

Be safe
REW
Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Keeper

REW,

What kind of rig are you running? I have read a lot of your posts and you seem to be pretty knowledgable and reply with down to earth, real world answers. Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Keeper

I totally agree with what REW said. Not only do I find it more comfortable to stand in rough conditions, but I also stand just so I can get a better view of what's ahead of me and pick the best navigation path. Having a setup where you can comfortably and safely stand while operating is key. And it has to have a controls/electronics setup that is usable while standing.
I have a 21' Starcraft Fishmaster and am very happy with the way it rides in rough water. I kno there are differences in the ride of aluminum vs glass boats, but I've always had aluminum so I am not the best sourcefor that comparison.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

define "walleye boat"

my vote would be my Grady White, but my definition of "walleye boat" may be different than yours.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Wallhanger

my vote would be my Grady White, but my definition of "walleye boat" may be different than yours.[/QUOTE]

XX2
Old 10-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

Default Oldie But A Goodie

My vote is for my 1988 2100 Lund Baron. Heavy, Deep-V, and Wide. But what do I know.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Keeper

Definition of a Walleye Boat....LUND PRO V

But you can always ask the Legends...Al Linder, Gary Roach, Mike Gofron, Mark Martin.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Keeper

I happen to like my Triton in bad water-but whatever you choose today would be a bad day for a test ride
Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
Definition of a Walleye Boat....LUND PRO V

But you can always ask the Legends...Al Linder, Gary Roach, Mike Gofron, Mark Martin.
I'm thinking those guys like the boat that sponsors them.