Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Why pro walleye tournaments suck from a fan's perspective!!! - Page 7 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 10-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigstop View Post
What bait company is going to bother sponsoring a tournament on Green Bay when every fish is caught on live crawlers?
Lots of money has come on cranks the last couple years.
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 620
Lots of money has come on cranks the last couple years.
I was a Basser/Tournament Angler from the 60/70/80s until old age caught-up with my bod. I now only chase & C n' R sUMo Eyes for Sport w/o the use of live-bait... (yes, I do 'kill a few 17-20" eaters every year for close friends that go out w/me on the chase that like to eat fish, but wish they would chow-down on panfish instead)

-some thoughts on B.A.S.S. tourneys...

1) -from the very start in the 60s no live-bait was allowed to promote a higher 'skill level of Pros & to increase the dollar value from sponsors for the tourneys.

2) I'd better not go-on w/other thoughts, but just say 'think about the difference in skill level between bait-allowed vs non-bait tourneys, plus the Pro Anglers increased growth of 'skill over time in non live-bait tourneys & what it would do for the sponsors...

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybob View Post
-some thoughts on B.A.S.S. tourneys...

1) -from the very start in the 60s no live-bait was allowed to promote a higher 'skill level of Pros & to increase the dollar value from sponsors for the tourneys.

2) I'd better not go-on w/other thoughts, but just say 'think about the difference in skill level between bait-allowed vs non-bait tourneys, plus the Pro Anglers increased growth of 'skill over time in non live-bait tourneys & what it would do for the sponsors...

Let's think about the skill level difference in a Great Lakes / Big Water tournament from what we have now to a non live bait format.

Now - Most guys are trolling crawler harnesses (w/live bait) or trolling crank baits

Non Live Bait- most guys will troll crawler harnesses (w/plastics of some kind) or trolling crank baits

I can see some tournaments where it could make things different but I just can't buy into the argument that it would change the skill level. The skill is finding the right fish and getting them to bite. Most Pro's will tell you that they would rather use artificial baits if they can. It is a lot easier not to have to babysit bait and if you can get cranks to go you can usually cover a lot more water with the speeds most can be run at.

As for the comment about sponsors. It is difficult to compare bass tournaments to walleye tournaments when it comes to sponsors. How may national level Pro/Co tournaments were there for bass? Now how many were there for walleye? Look at the miles a bass pro travels and the days they spend on the water with a tournament every week of the year available. A walleye Pro had 3 qualifiers and a championship that was really just another tournament. Now think like a sponsor deciding where to spend your advertising dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Scully
Let's think about the skill level difference in a Great Lakes / Big Water tournament from what we have now to a non live bait format.

Now - Most guys are trolling crawler harnesses (w/live bait) or trolling crank baits

I stopped short on trolling thoughts above when comparing Pro Walleye & Bass catches amoung many other thoughts on this subject. Trolling has not been allowed in Bass tourneys for 50 + years also. B.A.S.S. wanted to see accurate locating 'skills & sport over much easier plug-pulling/trolling baskets. Both walleyes and bass will suspend above the t'cline with warm water/conditions and feed on bait/bait-balls near the surface before going back to the comfort zone (Great Lakes / Big Water). You have to have 'great locating 'skills to score spot-on-spot size-wise when jigging & casting methods are used compared to trolling areas...

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Last edited by Raybob; 10-15-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybob View Post
I stopped short on trolling thoughts above when comparing Pro Walleye & Bass catches amoung many other thoughts on this subject. Trolling has not been allowed in Bass tourneys for 50 + years also. B.A.S.S. wanted to see accurate locating 'skills & sport over much easier plug-pulling/trolling baskets. Both walleyes and bass will suspend above the t'cline with warm water/conditions and feed on bait/bait-balls near the surface before going back to the comfort zone (Great Lakes / Big Water). You have to have 'great locating 'skills to score spot-on-spot size-wise when jigging & casting methods are used compared to trolling areas...
So now we need to take trolling out of tournaments as well as live bait in order to see who really has more skill? and trolling is much easier?

I've been in tournaments where guys couldn't even catch fish trolling they must have no skills at all. I will go out on a limb here and say that most pros would jig or cast cranks to fish if they could catch bigger or more fish that way. I'm not a big fan of pulling Reef Runners 200 feet back and then 100 - 150 feet out on a planer board. It takes a lot of time to get a fish in with that much line out and there are a lot of chances for it to come unhooked. It would be much less stress if I only had 50 feet of line out on a cast. Walleye pros do whatever they have to when it comes to catching fish but would be dumb not to take the best of the options that they have with the money that is on the line.

I guess the biggest thing I see is that bass are not walleye. I grew up on the west coast around some of the best bass fishing in the country. I have been around bass tournaments. Can you catch bass trolling? Sure, but is it usually the easiest or best way? Usually not. Can you catch walleye in different ways than trolling? Yes you can, but does that mean we should limit ourselves to only those means? Walleye fishing has as much history trolling as B.A.S.S. does not trolling. Which is the right way? I believe both are bass and walleye are so different that you can't expect the tournaments to operate under the same rules.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Wallhanger

Wink Make it exciting

cannot use a net

disclaimer;this is an attempt at humor
Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default I got it!!!!

Quote:
Make it exciting
cannot use a net

disclaimer;this is an attempt at humor
And I saw the winky thing too!!!!!!
Don Loch #235
Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Wallhanger

Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAH View Post
that one was for you!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAH View Post
Don you've been doing enough bleeding without trying to lip a walleye
Old 10-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Wallhanger

I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread so I hope I don't re-tread anyone's thoughts but I feel compelled to comment:

First, I am a walleye guy. Always have been since I was a little shaver.
2nd, I also enjoy bass fishing, both smallmouth and largemouth.
3rd, I participated in the 'early days' of walleye tourneys through the mid 2000's. Never fished a bass event.
4th, I've always viewed walleye tourneys as the 'child' born in the B.A.S.S world as a logical progression by walleye gear manufacturers to sell product and increase awareness and marketshare. As new 'techniques were revealed by walleye guys over the years, new products emerged to support those new 'walleye stragegies'. Walleye media such as In-Fish was right there pushing new approached as well.
5th, the walleye tourney world is much, much smaller than the bass world. Nothing we have can compare to 'B.A.S.S. Masters Champion' or have that level of recognition.
6th, the bass world banned trolling - who knows why really. Prolly several issues all piled into one and those in 'favor' won the day in some BASS backroom meeting. EVEN though the world record was caught on a spoon plug
7th, for the bulk of B.A.S.S history there were a handful of names that rose and stayed on top - prolly two dozen or so. Nixon, Martin, all those guys from Texas etc. Now they are aging and a new crop has moved in to replace them...KVD and the rest. But still we see this same phenomenon
repeated.
8th, In the walleye world we don't see that. Sure we all know who stands out but each year we see 'who is that guy?' winning events all season long. Local water experts stand out often over the tour regulars and then disappear.
9th, while both worlds are in the business to promote and sell boats, engines, trolling motors, rods, reels, and teminal tackle, the bass world does lend itself more to 'who is best'. While in walleye it often boils down to 'who gets the best info' and has the ability to put them in the livewell.
10th, it seems the BASS side is more 'recession proof' than the walleye market. There is still gorwth. In walleye, the market has been saturated.